Gotway Tesla Rim Replacement

OhPardonMe

I noticed that ewheels sells just the rim for the Nikola/Tesla so I got curious and did a teardown because my rim is donefore on my Tesla. Seemed straightforward enough to get it apart and remove the rim from the hub. Everything looks to be in order and seems like plug and play to put it back together. 

My questions are:

1. Has anyone tried it? There's very little info on motor disassembly I've found on the forums. 

2. What are the risks? The motor was sound before disassembly, just a few dents in the rim which can't be repaired. I don't want to put it all back together and find out it's no longer working. 

Screenshot_20200621-184824_Gallery.jpg

20200621_184851.jpg

Screenshot_20200621-184922_Gallery.jpg

Edited by GameKing
  • Like 2

Ordered and received replacement rim and tire from ewheels. They even went above and beyond and mounted the tire for me (I absolutely hate that part)!

I have to say for anyone who is considering this repair vs buying a new motor, it is 1000% worth it. After putting everything back together my unicycle rides better than brand new. Not even on day one was it as smooth as it rides today. 

I did this repair without needing to disconnect the motor and only removing one axle shim. 

Ewheels also has a very detailed guide to do the repair as well. Can't recommend this enough for those with dented rims. 

Edited by GameKing
  • Like 2

Awesome report and thank you! What was the cost involved, much less than an entire motor assembly? I wonder what other wheels also have the part available with ability to repair. Very happy for you, glad it rides good too!

On 6/27/2020 at 12:22 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Awesome report and thank you! What was the cost involved, much less than an entire motor assembly? I wonder what other wheels also have the part available with ability to repair. Very happy for you, glad it rides good too!

Cost of the rim was $145 compared to $300 for a new motor assembly. I was back up and running for $200 with the new tire and tube as well. Definitely worth it. Ewheels seems to have a host of options available. Just check the parts section on their site. 

I'd arguably say this repair is also easier than replacing the whole motor. No disconnecting cables, only need to remove 1 of the axle shims on the non-wire side. New rim wants to just snap perfectly in place due to the magnets then just simple bolting everything back together. 

Edited by GameKing
  • Like 2