Riding with only an external battery pack - how long can the cables be?

mhpr262

I recently rolled out my old wheel and unfortunately I soon discovered that the battery had given up the ghost - four of the sixteen cells were completely dead.

I removed the complete internal pack and I am currently riding with a pretty rough looking DIY solution - four 4s 4.500mAh lipo RC packs, plugged in line with 5,5mm gold connectors, wrapped in an old towel for protection and just dangling off the front of the wheel in a duct tape sling. Needless to say this is less than ideal. I used that solution because the ESCs for brushles motors like the ones that are used in our ESCs take very poorly to very long battery cables, as induced voltage spikes can fry the electronics of the ESC (which is why those ESCs usually have pretty massive capacitors right were the cables from teh battery go into the ESC).

This is pretty well known in the world of high powered brushless RC vehicles, and I am therefore very leery of attaching my external battery pack with long cables, like they would be leading from a kind of fanny pack on my belt to the wheel.

So my question is: how long do you think can those battery extension cables be without risk of frying the ESC? Do I need to solder extra capacitors into the wheel? Or wont it work at all? Btw my wheel is a generic Aiwheel clone with 350W, it was sold many years ago under the name "CAT 9Droid" in my country.

Edited by mhpr262