Clonking noise from My 18XL

seage

As with all great things, over time they begin to fail, and I think this thing is finally falling apart on me. 

I was riding a week ago with a new tire i just installed and heard a clunking sound coming from the wheel. Now, i havent done a full teardown yet, but theres a few things I think it may be....

The bearings getting murdered by the salt and snow and wet from the winter

The pedal arms not being tight enough

The wheel rotating off axis and hitting the body (i doubt this because it was a hit sound)

The axel arm something something key something wearing oout. I saw an old thread here and the sound in the video a few posts in was similar to mine, except theirs was FAR more aggressive. My sound was also loud, but it didnt start right away and with some WD40 is goes away for a while, so its got me thinking: 

My real question should be, should i get the MSX, Nikola or wait on the Inmotion announcent since I'll probably need a new daily driver. 

how many miles you get on it before it started failing? Would a cheap motor swap not fix the problem? I really hope to run mine until it explodes or the batteries die off.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

how many miles you get on it before it started failing? Would a cheap motor swap not fix the problem? I really hope to run mine until it explodes or the batteries die off.

I got about 6000km on it. But then im riding it in Canada. Cold, hot, cold, hot, water, dry, snow, salt, dirt. So many elements mashing up my wheel. I tried to keep it clean. Spray it with WD40, grease it, make sure it was all sexy and stuff.

But yeah, I didnt realize how cheap a new motor actually is, im surprised. I couldnt find the new 2200 motors on e-wheels or anywhere (And since i didnt buy my wheel from e-wheels i dont know if im able to email Jason about it). To be fair, i might fix it up to sell it and hop on the new generation of wheels now. 

By the way, i cracked up when i read "Until it explodes". My humor is morbid, lol. 

I meant fan motor, not wheel motor. WHeel motors pretty cheap, but pc fans are WAY cheap, so I was just wondering if the replacement fan for this thing was a $10 problem to replace. Hows the wheel doing after 6000km, less the fan noise? Did it live life in a cover at all? Its good to hear you got so many miles out if and still rollin'.