KS-18S Motor Hall Issue After Tire Change

Roll_On

Symptoms After Tube Change:

Switch on power everything seems OK.  EUC balance; Able to connect with iOS KS App; Lights working; Horn working.

When you move the EUC by hand slowly, there is an immediately beeping sound, and warning at the Apple iOS App (“Motor Hall”), and lady speaking very quickly, hard to make out what she said.  The EUC also does not move smoothly, jerking movement.  I did not ride, just switch off the EUC.  After checking all connections, still the same symptoms.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

What I Did:

1)  Open up the unit (two side panels, and top panel to control board) very carefully.

2)  Label all the wire before disconnect the power related jacks on the left side with the battery (primary and extra battery).

Note:   EUC front is the switch and charger port, and EUC back is the trolley handle, and battery level indicator.

3)  From control panel:

a)   Disconnect the 3 wire jack that has 3 wires bundle to the motor (EUC left side)

b)   Disconnect the 1 wire jack that has 1 wire to the motor (EUC right side).  I think this is the motor hall.

BTW this jack has white glue preventing easy removal.  So, I had to slice the white glue just a bit to allow the jack to be lift out with no touching of the wire and the board.

4)  Remove the 6 hex nuts on both side.  Thread the 3 wire bundle, and 1 wire carefully out to let the wheel drop out of the EUC.

5)  Change tire/tube.

6)  Re-install everything back slowly, and the label wire help reconnect all the jacks correctly, and making sure it is tight.

In checking over everything like a cut wire, there was nothing.  Then I saw the 3rd battery jack hidden in the corner of the add-on battery (my EUC has 1680Wh)!!!

During the disassembly, I only saw two battery jacks and disconnected two jacks.  On my 1st EUC Inmotion V8 there was one battery and one jack to disconnect.  On this KS-18S there were two batteries, and disconnecting two jacks seems perfectly logical while the 3rd is hidden.

Thus, there was probably still power in the main board.  I did not do a final confirmation check by switching on the EUC!!!  When removing the two wires from the control board (one goes to the right side of the motor wheel, and the other goes to the left side of the motor wheel), a voltage spike probably damage either the Hall sensor, or the chip processing the Hall sensor signal.  The EUC will be sent back to eWheel for repair.  Expensive lesson learn.  Always check that the power is gone before unplugging any wire from the main board!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I sent the KS-18S back to eWheel, and they found the issue.  It was in the 3-wire bundle on the left side that attach to the wheel / motor.  One of the 3 wire insulation was scrapped as the wire is either moved out of the unit, or move back into the unit in a tight small hole.  On the right side is a single wire Hall sensor.  In the disassembly as you try to move the wheel / motor out of the unit, you have to doubly check both side, and thread the wire both side very carefully, and all the while trying to manage the heavy weight 55 lb. of KS-18S

There are some things office worker just don't have the mechanical dexterity.  From eWheel, "With a bit of liquid tape, it's as good as new".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1