Looking to build a fat-tire Electric Trailriding Unicycle

gridlok

I've been thinking about trying to make a self-balancing trailriding unicycle out of a 4-5" tire and a self balancing unicycle. I've seen several that have removable cases which would be key for mounting a bigger tire. I'm curious on opinions about which Unicycles can take the most abuse without breaking.

I've Mountain Unicycled for about 3 years on a Kris Holm with a 26" tire that runs about 3" wide at 8 psi and I also own & run electric-fatbike.com and have built and thrashed about 8 electric fatbikes.

One of the problems I've noticed from the stats page on the wiki is that most electric unis run 16 inch wheels, there are 2 higher powered ones that run 18inch wheels but the smallest fat tires I've seen are only 20 inches. So there's that.

Thanks in advance for humoring my requests. Any ideas however outlandish are always welcome.

I have no idea if the programming would even be able to handle a different diameter tire.

Karl

As you have found, the choice of rubber for smaller diameter wheels is very limited. I have searched around a bit myself and found some wider rubber is available in smaller sizes if you search for pit bike tyres but I can't confirm if they would fit the euc rims which normally tend to be part of the electric motor and are almost impossible to change without major engineering.

I have an 18" unicycle with a 3" knobby tire on it which might work with the M18. Seems like the high torque is the only way to go.

Gimlet, with the M18 is there any way to remove the plastic cover or modify it for a bigger tire?

The M18 comes with 18" x 2.50" rubber as standard and there is plenty of room for my index finger to fit between the tyre and shell all around apart from the very edges where the wheel comes out into the open. The plastic there has a right angle edge which I'm sure would be simple to cut away. It may have a small effect on the strength and rigidity of the shell but not that much from the look of it.

Archived