DC 12-36V Lathe Press 555 Motor, Torque vs speed

Good day,

I have a DC 12-36V Lathe Press 555 Motor, purpose to cut cow bones, motor has 2 options, in terms of power source

1 - 36 volt 3 amp power supply

2 - 12 volt 5 amp power supply

which of the power supplies would give me the best result in terms of cutting the bones fast, and if a 24 volt 4 amp power supply could be viable.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, HelpReceiver said:

Good day,

I have a DC 12-36V Lathe Press 555 Motor, purpose to cut cow bones, motor has 2 options, in terms of power source

1 - 36 volt 3 amp power supply

2 - 12 volt 5 amp power supply

which of the power supplies would give me the best result in terms of cutting the bones fast, and if a 24 volt 4 amp power supply could be viable.

Thank you.

This is an electric unicycle forum so it does not necessarily run to any expertise on motors generally. I’ve moved your question to off topic.

As it happens I know of these motors having used them some years ago in model planes. The motor you are quoting is a simple brushed 550 mabuchi ‘can’ motor and its specification absolutely does not say it supports 2 options for power. It has no switching or multiple connections it simply says it can be used between 12V 5 Amps and 36V 3 Amps.  There is nothing within the motor that will limit current - you would have to ensure that you did not exceed the rated current yourself. It will cut faster at 36V as it will spin three times as fast - so your first issue is whether it will spin too fast for your cutter with the possibility of it shattering and causing injury.

Current, and therefore torque will increase the more you load the cutter and reduce its RPM. Torque is proportional to current so, if on 12V you really can go as high as 5 Amps* you will get more torque than at 36V 3 Amps - but remember YOU control current, run it at 36V and load it until the RPM drops right down without limiting current you will get a lot of torque just before it starts smoking! 

* Those figures are pretty high for a very simple cheap motor, even within spec it will overheat without some additional cooling if run for more than a minute or so.

For anyone else wondering what this is - you can find it here:https://m.banggood.com/DC-12-36V-Lathe-Press-555-Motor-With-Miniature-Hand-Drill-Chuck-and-Mounting-Bracket-p-1144675.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=gary&utm_campaign=ds-cpa-ds-usb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6dyZ_ruW2wIVQp3VCh2bKwUYEAAYASAAEgK-kPD_BwE

Archived