Review : Engo smartglasses - Microoled ActiveLook

Blkfri

**Disclaimer:**

I received the Activelook Engo glasses after reaching out to Microoled to express my interest and explain how I believed these glasses could benefit riders like us. I was sent a sample of the Engo 1 (the previous model), which allowed me to write the necessary code to integrate my app (WheelDash) with ActiveLook technology and thoroughly test these glasses. I want to emphasize that this review is not sponsored; I am sharing my opinion freely šŸ™‚.

As mentioned, I received the first version of the Engo glasses. However, the features are the same as the latest version: the Engo 2. The newest model stands out with its improved design (which is subjective, but I think everyone will agree on this šŸ˜„), two available sizes (standard and large), and a charging port (replacing the mini USB of the Engo 1, which, to be honest, is quite impractical). This gave me a clear idea of the user experience.

**Quick Description of the Glasses:**

These are sporty glasses designed for use in athletic conditions like running or cycling. This means they are lightweight, sweat-resistant, durable, and non-distracting. They are not multimedia glasses; you canā€™t listen to music, take photos, or watch videos. The focus is on a simple and effective sporting approach. Thus, the screen reflects this orientation: it has a resolution of 304 x 256 pixels in 16 levels of grayscale (so 16 levels of monochromatic intensity). The goal is not to distract attention while displaying information, but to make it accessible without obstructing the field of vision.

The glasses also come with an ambient light sensor that adjusts the screen brightness based on external conditions. They have a proximity sensor that triggers actions when you wave your hand in front of them (typically to scroll through different display modes). The capacitive button at the center of the glasses turns them on and off (though it can also be used to trigger actions, like the proximity sensor, if the app supports it).

**Unboxing:**

Unboxing the glasses gives an impression of quality and craftsmanship. The box contains everything needed: a charging cable, a sturdy case, a pouch, a strap, and cleaning accessories (and a screwdriver for the Engo 1, which has two possible locations for adjusting the arms of the glasses for a better fit based on your morphology; this adjustment is not available on the second version, which has likely improved in this aspect as well). I think this is more than sufficient!

Upon holding them, I was surprised by the lightness of the product. The V1 weighs just over 40g, not much heavier than my usual sports glasses (albeit with a clip for vision correction, but even without that clip, thereā€™s only a 10g difference), considering the Engo glasses have a battery and a screen, and the lenses are significantly larger. Itā€™s quite impressive. Like most sports glasses, they are made of plastic, but they feel well-finished. Of course, weā€™ll need to see how they hold up over time, but so far, after three months of use, I have no complaints.

**Applications:**

The glasses work with numerous apps and devices (more information here: https://fr.engoeyewear.com/produits/engo-2). Among these apps is the Activelook companion app (the official brand app), which allows for full adjustments of the glasses and firmware updates. A tutorial is provided upon startup to help you set them up. I mention this because adjusting the glasses requires some time. Itā€™s crucial to fully benefit from the glasses (poor adjustments can result in a blurry image or improper screen positioning, making information hard to read or even impossible).

As a quick aside from a developerā€™s perspective: the API (documentation available on GitHub) is well-designed, and as a developer for Garmin devices in my spare time, I can tell you it makes a significant difference! A real effort has been made to open the device for a maximum of use cases through development, which deserves recognition and could serve as an inspiration for others. While technical limitations exist, as a developer, you have great freedom to design your interface, and if you set your own configurations, you can do pretty much what you want. In conclusion, on the development side, great freedom combined with good documentation is a winning combo.

**How Do They Perform?**

Good news for those of us who ride fully geared for every trip (which is my case): they fit easily into a full-face motorcycle helmet (note that I only tested the Engo 1; the Engo 2 comes in two sizes: standard and large, with the Engo 1 sitting in between). I think even the large version of the Engo 2 would fit in a motorcycle helmet, but this version may be less relevant in this specific case since wind protection is often ensured by the visor. The version I received is equipped with photochromic lenses, allowing me to use them day and night without any visibility issues, which is a real plus for me (I also use my wheel for commuting and often leave and return at night).

The glasses are light enough to be unnoticeable on long rides. The arms are easily adjustable to avoid any long-term discomfort. They are fairly wide and provide good wind protection. The display is clear and bright in almost all circumstances. The few times I found the brightness lacking were just before sunrise, likely due to the helmet casting some shadow over the ambient light sensor. A simple brightness adjustment fixes this (you can set a higher automatic brightness level via the Activelook app or any other compatible app). The ambient light sensor generally does its job well. As for battery life, depending on the data refresh rate, you can expect at least 10 hours, which is enough for the longest rides!

Wearing a helmet does make it challenging, if not impossible, to use the proximity sensor to change the displayed view; let me explain: youā€™ll need to open the visor to activate it. While this is an additional step, itā€™s manageable. However, sunlight reflections on the visor can sometimes trigger the sensor unexpectedly, which can be a nuisance. To address this, I use the capacitive button to switch views, preventing unwanted triggers.

When wearing the glasses, the data display does not obstruct the central field of vision. Therefore, the displayed data does not block your view; you need to shift your gaze slightly to the left to read the data. Itā€™s hard to explain, and itā€™s an experience you need to try to fully understand, but itā€™s highly effective: the data you want to monitor is accessible at a glance without taking your eyes off the road. This is incredibly reassuring and has changed the way I ride. Iā€™m someone who closely monitors the PWM of my wheel and my speed, particularly to adjust my riding style based on road conditions or the type of path Iā€™m on (given that many factors can influence speed perception, I prefer relying on the numbers). I previously found using a smartwatch great, but this takes it a step further as I never have to look away from the road.

Another advantage is the ability to display navigation instructions. I developed a functional proof of concept on a Garmin watch (though it currently requires several manipulations), and itā€™s really convenient to have guidance instructions always in view.

**Proof of Concept Video (in English):**

https://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/ms6uzu8eri

**Garmin Navigation Implementation (in English):**Ā 

https://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/kjo2ln3qtx

** Available views of WheelDash (on Garmin)**

1st view, top to bottom : smartglasses battery & current time, PWM, speed, controller temperature, battery percentage

low2.thumb.jpg.7d70b0480e779107ff7c304a999e5e1c.jpg

2nd view, top to bottom : smartglasses battery & current time, activity duration, activity distance, average speed, max speed

low1.thumb.jpg.144f9b7511f77dfd2ae08d91ff97ee5a.jpg

3rd view ("Racing" View)Ā on my app with only PWM (bar and percentage) and speed for data refresh every 200 ms šŸ˜

IMG_20241016_185040.jpg.2d7119ea2e4ba837f97373e0fd2477c0.jpg.ca8c2ddd510c2d26f9d01f58e8170464copy.thumb.jpg.bc39227e76e896e2bec5914b16310e79.jpg

Navigation POC view :Ā works perfectly but required a bit of a hack (since Garmin doesn't allow third-party apps to access navigation data, I had to get creative to display directions on my glasses)

low3.thumb.jpg.7af338a7167fea7091d3f1afe8415c5c.jpg

Ā 

Of course, as always, not everything is perfect: the major downside of these glasses is that they are not compatible with corrective lenses. You can try to use clips with corrective lenses or wear them over your glasses (which is what I do most of the time during development), but personally, I now wear contact lenses during my outings. So, glasses wearers will need to wait a bit; solutions are reportedly in development at Microoled.

**How Much Do They Cost?**

The Engo 2 glasses cost $/ā‚¬300 ($/ā‚¬349 for the photochromic version). This is not cheap, but considering a typical pair of sports glasses usually costs around ā‚¬150, their price doesnā€™t seem unreasonable. Microoledā€™s policy is commendable (though entirely expected, at least in Europe; they are very clear about it): if the glasses donā€™t suit you for any reason, you can return them within 30 days of purchase. You can order directly from their website :Ā https://engoeyewear.com/.

**Conclusion**

These glasses are, for me, a game changer. They truly correspond to what I was looking for (despite my initial skepticism): a clear heads-up display, no frills, long battery life, and on top of that, open to developers (as I mentioned, the API documentation is particularly well done). What struck me most is that before trying them, I didnā€™t expect the experience to be so enlightening. Previously, I would periodically check my watch for my speed, controller temperature, etc. Now, a quick glance at the data display zone, without diverting my attention from the road, provides the information. This might seem unnecessary to some, especially those who ride by ear (the famous sound of the wind, which I admit is handy šŸ˜›), but since getting them, I simply canā€™t do without them. They have become an essential safety feature for me, especially when riding ā€œintensely.ā€

This is definitely a big yes for me, and Iā€™m convinced they will find their audience within the community: they are truly beneficial for those who want to keep an eye on their wheel's variables at all times and safely. The fact that they are very open in terms of development is also particularly interesting, as it means that many developers can contribute to adding new features to the glasses through their apps. As I write this, these glasses are compatible with WheelDash and WheelDash: datafield (dev versions), the applications I created for Garmin watches (https://apps.garmin.com/search?keywords=wheeldash), and drumroll .... EUC World !! As some of you already knows, Seba fully shares my opinion about these glasses: Ā 

Ā 

Finally, an important note for those considering making the leap: I asked Microoled if they could offer a special discount for the community, and here it is: a $/ā‚¬40 promo code for the purchase of a pair of Engo 2 (in tinted or photochromic lenses): DSHWHL40.

Edited by Blkfri
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Blkfri said:

Of course, as always, not everything is perfect: the major downside of these glasses is that they are not compatible with corrective lenses. You can try to use clips with corrective lenses or wear them over your glasses (which is what I do most of the time during development), but personally, I now wear contact lenses during my outings. So, glasses wearers will need to wait a bit; solutions are reportedly in development at Microoled.

Thanks for the review.

How are they without your contact lenses, disregarding sight in general is the text in the display readable without your contact lenses or does it become blurry?

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

How are they without your contact lenses, disregarding sight in general is the text in the display readable without your contact lenses or does it become blurry?

As a nearsighted (and presbyopic) person, the display is blurry without contact lenses. However, even with imperfect vision correction, the screen remains clear, so I think mild nearsightedness wouldn't be a problem. Farsightedness won't be an issue since the focus of the HUD is at a good distance.

• Like 2