Starting to get it... But...

Hello all...

Just finished my 6th EUC session, and while my reaction time is still a bit sluggish, I'm starting to feel comfortable enough with the roads around here that I'm feeling that I may commute home from work this weekend.

That said, I'm having a terror of a time understanding what I need to set up and what I don't in the app. I figured out the speed limiter, but should I be setting alarms or anything else safety related in the app before I start using this to replace my vehicle? I'm keeping my speed at 15 for now, but I'm sure that won't last forever.

The other thing I was curious about, if I may be so bold as to waste everyone's time with two questions, is why would I want to set a different pedal angle? Is it comfort-related or control-related? My feet cramp up a bit and was curious if pitching the wheel a few degrees forward would help that or if there is something else I should consider. 

And... Thank you all. Not just for helping answer this question, but all the questions I didn't have to ask because this place existed! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, humblesage said:

My feet cramp up a bit and was curious if pitching the wheel a few degrees forward would help that or if there is something else I should consider. 

It might help and you should play with the angle when you’re comfortable with the wheel. Mostly it helps if you have different shoes. But the most common problem with beginners is that your feet may be too back. That causes fatigue. Try placing your heel level with the back of the pedal and let your toes hang over the front. That should already help with cramping. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2024 at 9:11 PM, humblesage said:

That said, I'm having a terror of a time understanding what I need to set up and what I don't in the app. I figured out the speed limiter, but should I be setting alarms or anything else safety related in the app before I start using this to replace my vehicle? I'm keeping my speed at 15 for now, but I'm sure that won't last forever.

The best thing about app settings for me was always to test out different ride feels and I use the alarms for safety alerts so that I know how fast I'm traveling based off of the alarm that gets triggered. And it gives me some confidence to know that I'm the one who actually programmed my settings. I appreciate having an alarm to warn me when I hit a bump that was so hard that it put me into risky territory for a cut out. I don't know how to set this one one on  the king song app, but my ninebot does this automatically so that I can learn what kinds of bumps put me in danger.

The best thing that works for my foot fatigue is a 5 minute break mid ride. After the break then my foot fatigue usually just goes away for the rest of the day. Congratulations on getting your King Song S16 Pro, that seems like a really fantastic wheel.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2024 at 12:52 AM, UniVehje said:

But the most common problem with beginners is that your feet may be too back. That causes fatigue. Try placing your heel level with the back of the pedal and let your toes hang over the front. That should already help with cramping. 

You were right... Interestingly though, it seems that the KS S16's pedals are more forward than centered so when I centered my feet on the pedals, it helped. Then I couldn't brake as well. That said, the S16 came with jump pads, so when I put those on, my braking ability came back. Maybe King Song knew this when they threw them in the box. :lol:

9 hours ago, on one said:

The best thing that works for my foot fatigue is a 5 minute break mid ride. After the break then my foot fatigue usually just goes away for the rest of the day. Congratulations on getting your King Song S16 Pro, that seems like a really fantastic wheel.

100% this. I didn't realize how long I was riding in one stretch. I actually looked at my ride statistics and I'm on the wheel for about an hour a trip. Prior to this post, I was only doing like 30 minute sessions. Taking a walking break helped.

The S16 is a fantastic wheel! I have no basis for comparison, so I get why people review it and are like "this doesn't ride like a Lynx, so it needs work". A beginner isn't worried about that stuff. My concerns were, "is it fun, does it look cool and will I die on it." I just wanted a fun way to get around town that I didn't feel like I would want to replace in a month. At first, I thought, "There is no way they are marketing this to newbs, it weighs a ton!" But that feeling went away pretty quickly. Ironically, I think I want to get a smaller wheel for quick store errands. But I suppose the reason there are so many wheels and people have so many of those wheels is that no one ever really knows what they need. But I'm pretty sure of one thing, the S16 is a large wheel for my needs for the foreseeable future... I hope they make more and better smaller wheels soon.

• Like 3

@humblesage congratulations on your new wheel and learning to ride! A lot of riders end up with multiple devices based on need. I’ve got a small errand runner, a large long range cruiser and a few mid sized wheels. I’ve never ridden the s16, but it sounds like a good fit for your first one. Welcome to your new addiction! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, humblesage said:

@Hellkitten Yeah... I've already been looking at an Mten or something similar to get me to and from the corner store. haha... And thank you for the words of encouragement!

I do love my menten4………❤️