V13 creaking sound when setting wheel on face

2disbetter

I always put my wheel on the front face of the wheel on the orange rails. Recently while setting it down after a ride, I hear creaking coming from the wheel as I laid it forward. Has anyone else hear a creaking like then when putting the wheel down? I'm wondering if this is a wheel bolt sign that they are stressed and should be replaced, or if this is just the suspension needing some adjustment again? 

I suppose I should just come out and ask some questions that some folks might actually know. 

Basically, if the motor bolts for the V13 are going bad, is there any kind of warning sign or symptom which you might be able to notice? Or do they simply fail and the wheel wrecks? 

Secondly, if you don't perform maintenance on your shocks could this lead to them failing or you breaking them? 

3 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

perform maintenance on your shocks could this lead to them failing

I haven't performed any maintenance on the shocks or pumped them up in 3k miles and I'm not having any issues. The suspension doesn't compress or move when you lay it on it's face, i do it all the time. I never even put the kick stand on my wheel. Not sure what the creaking sound would be, maybe a dry axle seal on a dirty axle? The bolts don't "go bad" the original ones loosened up and broke with a high speed impact so if you are worried about them , you can check to make sure they are tight. Does it make the sound when you roll the wheel slowly?

Video showing the creaking in action would tell us way more than some words.. Also showing us how you lay it down may tell us more.

If you gonna make a video - try repeating it at least twice. (The laying down/creaking part.)

Gotcha, and I know what you mean. Hard to describe. Hopefully this video minus the covered plumber's butt is enough. The creaking can be heard clearly at the very end of me setting the wheel back down. I should add that this creaking is new. I have setting this wheel down here for almost a year. No creaking before. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Does it make the sound when you roll the wheel slowly?

No it doesn't. It seems to make sound similar to video while riding only occasionally, and it is more when I am shifting weight on the wheel. Mini curving like motions for example, but it isn't consistent. Sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't. 

• Thanks 1

Have you tried shutting wheel off and holding it for few seconds - before laying down - does it still make that sound?

Yes i know it sounds strange - but i have my own way finding things out.. (Sounds like plastic/things are setting in place - when you set it down.)

Can't be the mat making that sounds? :D It sounds more like electrical.. To me at least. Like motor discharging - i can't explain.. Never mind, watched few more times. It's probably shell/motor/suspension setting in place, when weight is put at front bars..

Some loose screws maybe..

Edited by Funky

Wild guess, of course, not being in front of the unit

That could be the suspension unloading/extending beyond where it normally goes when not loaded but vertical.

By placing it face down you're removing the weight of the unit from the suspension, that bit of travel is where the noise comes from.

A very little used part of the suspension travel so not worn and possibly not well lubed.

Try "lifting it up" as vertically as possible, by the handles, and see if you get a similar noise.

Edited by mmk

2 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

The creaking can be heard clearly at the very end

I got it!!! It's turning into R2D2 :003 you can hear it.

on a serious note, does it seem to be coming from the speaker? Sounds like it in the video

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
too many mistakes to list
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

on a serious note, does it seem to be coming from the speaker? Sounds like it in the video

No it sounds like it is coming from the bottom right side of the wheel. I think the suggestion that it is suspension gear makes a lot of sense. I need to try and tighten them or something. 

6 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

I need to try and tighten them or something. 

The only things to tighten would be the nut at the top of the shock on each side using the slotted end of the tool they gave you, but don't tighten it to much just snug because it can be easily stripped. And the slider bushing which you can access from the bottom using an allen but only touch those if there is play forward and back when you move the wheel forward and back. There have been cases of people tightening them to much and they wore into the slider rails. Maybe you just have to re-lubricate the rails. They come with a grease on them but i removed mine and use dry lube instead. In order to get to the top part of the slides you will have to lift the wheel housing off of the sliders. There is a video on my v13 thread.

Let me know if you have any other questions, id be happy to answer them.

7 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

I need to try and tighten them or something. 

Possibly not even necessary to tighten anything but finding out where it comes from is a good idea.

• Like 1