Different pedal resistance, Kingsong KS18XL V2

I bought a new KS18XL in April and immediately noticed that the right pedal has no resistance when folded out. The left pedal is held in the unfolded position as if by a spring. The salesman said that this was normal and that I should just ride it because it would “wear out” over time and both pedals would then behave the same again. I had strong doubts about this. After 1000km this has now been confirmed. Nothing about the condition has changed. What could be the reason for this?

I got aftermarket pedals.. With aftermarket "L" hangers..

My original pedals where the old ones. Where under the pedal around where the axle rod goes into "L" hanger was metal spring like thing.. It was very hard to open the pedals - you needed to use force and hands to get them open. 

With aftermarket pedals i simply kick them open with feet. No need to touch them with hands, etc..

Anyways that salesman is an idiot. It will not "wear out" anytime soon.. Maybe after ~20.000 up/down pedal flips. :D So... Start flipping that peal like a madman. (Like think for a moment - how many times do you need to open/close, to start wearing out some metal.) Also it looks like there is missing spring, or something..

@Viper You should try disassembling the pedal for a quick look.. Ofc if you aren't afraid to do some work. (Even better if you check both pedals the same time - that way you can see if there is missing anything.. Just be mindful how you unscrews everything. So you can put everything back together.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Viper said:

I bought a new KS18XL in April and immediately noticed that the right pedal has no resistance when folded out. The left pedal is held in the unfolded position as if by a spring. The salesman said that this was normal and that I should just ride it because it would “wear out” over time and both pedals would then behave the same again. I had strong doubts about this. After 1000km this has now been confirmed. Nothing about the condition has changed. What could be the reason for this?

There are inconsistencies in their casting process, as mine has some play as well but nothing that affects ride feel. I installed these on my 2021 18XL had to use a thread tap on mine to get the screws to touch the rods.

I had to thread the holes as well, but the resistanse comes from the springs whitch are held in place by two m4 screws that might be untightened. Take pedal off to inspect, if screws are ok take other pedal off and band faulty spring to same angle as the good one👍