I want to EMP proof my EUC

On 7/20/2024 at 1:08 AM, Magman116 said:

To me, this would be akin to having a TEMPEST certified EUC. If an EUC could be shielded to be TEMPEST compliant, then it would theoretically work against EMP's.

There are different EMF shielding mesh tapes that could be used, but you would need to know the frequency and basic intensity of the EMP. In systems I have worked on in the past, they employed different mesh tapes made with different size openings and made of different conductive materials.  We used that in conjunction with RF absorbent matt material to block both transmitted and received electromagnetic fields or rf Radiation.

Sounds like a fun, time consuming project that may have some future benefit if the World goes to crap.  You have to make sure you have sufficient separation between the electronics you wish to protect and the mesh tape due to the radiated field that would be induced in the mesh tape.

In addition to the shielding, you need to have a path to dissipate the energy either through absorption or dissipating to ground.

You seem to understand this more than most. If you stored your EUC under an inverted metal trash can would it be protected from electronic interference? I read Inmotion are going to track their wheels. KingSong in the past remotely bricked wheels that were for China domestic but sold to foreigners.

1 hour ago, on one said:

After a few injurious cut outs on my Z10, I decided to go ahead and place the order for some faraday tape.

Your cutouts weren't from an EMP. ;) "Faraday tape" won't fix the cutouts.

Order a more reliable EUC. Z10 is an old model anyway, the amount of things that can be problematic with your Z10 is long.

Edited by atdlzpae

2 hours ago, DavidB said:

You seem to understand this more than most. If you stored your EUC under an inverted metal trash can would it be protected from electronic interference? I read Inmotion are going to track their wheels. KingSong in the past remotely bricked wheels that were for China domestic but sold to foreigners.

The inverted metal trash can could possibly protect from an EMP by reflecting the signal, but without it being grounded, it would not be as effective.

Reflect, absorb, or dissipate the EMP, those are your options. A Faraday cage is not truly a faraday cage without connecting it to ground to dissipate the RF energy. It is very much the same as dealing with ESD in manufacturing electronic circuit boards. They put PCB's in metalized ESD bags. If they are not closed, they do not shield. Then they are placed on a static dissipative matt and tray that is then placed on a grounded metal cart or rack.

If I was to try to protect an EUC from an EMP, I would get copper mesh and completely encase the electronics (PCB's); making sure there are not openings or gaps. I would put sheets of mica or Mylar between the coper mesh and the PCB's to isolate the PCB's from the copper mesh. Surface area is your friend here, not less is more. You need to provide a large area to absorb and dissipate the EMP.

You can research Grounding and Lightning Protection systems, ESD for PCB's, and TEMPEST.  From all that, you should be able to get ideas of how to protect electronics from high energy fields.

@on one ESD just doesn't happen in real world and so your obsession with it suggests some kind of a mental problem.

I fail to believe you're a troll, and I mean this 100% genuinely: please go to a psychiatrist and check yourself for schizophrenia.
There are ways to manage mental issues, you're not the only one.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1