Help with Leatt Z Frame knee braces

To whomever can help me, any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I bought some Leatt Z Frame Knee Braces (size XXL) a couple months ago that I ordered straight from the manufacturer. When I walk in these, they start slipping down towards my ankles after just a few steps and that’s after tightening them as much as I can and even when I put them on over my pants legs or the included under socks. And this is after I made very clear measurements and even spoke with one of their reps over the phone as I was making those measurements, before I placed the order. But it seems that the straps won’t tighten up enough and there is especially a good bit of room where my actual knee joints are when I put these things on. 

Therefore, as far as I can understand, I need to send these back and get a smaller size. I think it would be best for me to go for the large and not the XL. Leatt told me to go to a Leatt dealer in my area and try some on so I’ll know what size to reorder, but I’ve already called 2 places (hundreds of miles away) and they don’t even carry that product. So I’m hoping that someone who reads this might be able to fill me in with any information you have, regardless of how relevant you think it may be. At this point, I think any information anyone can give me about these knee braces will be helpful and much appreciated.

• Sad 1

As with all such things, the middle strap must be lying over/up of your calf (behind the knee) to prevent it from sliding down.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your feedback Aztec, but Leatt actually sent me a video of one of their employees putting on a Z Frame and I’m doing this the same way their showing (which I think is what you’re saying to do with what you wrote.) 

Maybe I’m putting too much into this (especially because I’ve had multiple surgeries over the years on both knees), but I was thinking in terms of knee braces being much more custom fit. Which I was thinking might be necessary for me and my health in the event of a crash. 

• 2 months later...

As I have some problems with the knee too and the lateral pressure while riding EUC makes it hurts, I've tried medical stabilizing brace under my leatt knee guards.

It appears to work well and spare me the pain of stretching collateral ligaments and meniscs.

One like this: image.thumb.jpeg.a0cb402c1727d8399c788feafc41a8ab.jpeg

Pretty cheap in comparison with the moto knee braces too.

• Thanks 1

I’m also wondering if I can just buy those Medical stabilizing braces (as you’ve shown) and wear them underneath some professional grade skateboard pads that I have. 

What do you think?

The problem is that these Leatt Z Frames are so damn cumbersome that I don’t know if they’d even function correctly in the event of an accident. And that’s after I’ve exchanged them for a set that’s 2 sizes smaller. The smaller size holds a little better, but even those keep slipping down (even with the socks underneath.) The straps are on pretty tight, but the space in the knees and the continuous movement when I walk, causes them to start coming down. 

I don't think I've missed it in the above, but has anyone asked why the Standard Leatt Dual Axis jobbies that have been saving the knees of about 80% of us since wheels began aren't doing it for you ?! Only, they don't slip down the leg, they don't dig into the ground, they are really comfortable, and they do an amazing job in a crash AND they're tons cheaper too right ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris50 said:

I’m also wondering if I can just buy those Medical stabilizing braces (as you’ve shown) and wear them underneath some professional grade skateboard pads that I have. 

You should try. I use them under the Leatt dual axis.

50 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Standard Leatt Dual Axis jobbies that have been saving the knees of about 80% of us since wheels began aren't doing it for you ?!

Because he is after knee stabilising, not only protection. But the zframes are made for seated riding and being heavier tend to slip down, when used on EUC (standing) riding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cerbera, thank you for telling me about that and I’m deciding going to check that out. I’m thinking that perhaps I can wear those medical braces underneath, is there enough room to do that? 

Also, can you please tell me the exact name of those Leatt knee braces that you are referring to? I don’t want there to be any mistake in my order if I order them. And I’m thinking that I will probably order them.

57 minutes ago, Chris50 said:

Is there enough room to do that? 

Yeah that should be fine. Could be the best of both worlds...

image.png.bcd8f002b915e4fb61c1a786c1c5ce84.png

You want the ones that look like the above (slightly older, cheaper model).

There has been a lot of criticism of the newer 'Pro' model because it has so many holes everywhere that it doesn't slide as well and can dig into the ground, rather defeating the point of what should be good about them !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

There has been a lot of criticism of the newer 'Pro' model because it has so many holes everywhere that it doesn't slide as well and can dig into the ground, rather defeating the point of what should be good about them

That’s what I’ve been hearing as well from some of the local riders that tried the pro….

9 hours ago, Chris50 said:

Thanks so much man, but where do I get them?

Pretty much everywhere - these are the knee guards most of the EUC riders use.

https://leatt.com/int/product/knee-shin-guard-dual-axis-v22?selected-color=black

You might need to modify the straps (make them longer) with some elastic velcro in order to accommodate the added bulk of the medical brace under (depending of the size used). Or better measure your knees with the brace on and order the respective size leatts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aztek said:

You might need to modify the straps (make them longer) with some elastic velcro in order to accommodate the added bulk of the medical brace

My straps all came elasticated right out of the box, and are fully adjustable to allow for much greater length, so no worries there if yours are the same.

My problem is that I have the legs of a sparrow, so even at their minimums they are still a little loose if I don't wear my special riding trousers !

Here are the straps at maximum extension, but under tension they stretch a lot further than the pic would suggest, and although they don't look like it, the arched oval sections behind the velcro do have a fair amount of give in them.

image.thumb.png.5a2b2df44857f0f12b2e54acaf7c6123.png

Mine are the small / medium size btw...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1