Average energy consumption - wheel efficiency

As I was assessing the range of S16 and came to several conclusions (here) I would like to expand this discussion little bit further.

Could you share what “average energy” consumption of your EUC is? I mean the Wh/km indicator usualy seen in the respective app. This would be a nice measurement/comparison between several EUCs in different conditions - what real consumtion is and which EUC is more efficient. For example I would be very surprised to see that consumption of heavy top performance model e.g. Lynx will be similar such as medium range wheel e.g. V11(y) or S19.

Edited by Magovec

I haven't really paid much attention to that before, but you sparked my curiosity.

I took a look of a couple of my EUC World screenshots and can summarize it like this:

I'm around 75kg (165lbs) weight with gear, 182cm (6ft) tall and ride a Tesla v2 (1020Wh). Most of my trips to work I'm usually going between 30-35km/h (18-22mph) average riding speed (yeah I know I'm pushing the poor thing, trying to avoid them beeps though lol). Then the consumption sits at 17.5 - 18.5 Wh/km.

On a slower, more scenic ride when I'm not in such a hurry (15-20 km/h avg speed) it's around 15-16 Wh/km.

For S16 Pro slippyfeet stated (here): I'm 63kg (~140lbs) and I constantly burn 22 Wh/km

Also S16 Pro in my case: I am 90 kg with gear and the app shows average 25,2 Wh/km

• Magovec changed the title to Average energy consumption - wheel efficiency

On my KS 18XL I get around 25Wh/mile at my normal cruising speed of 25-30 MPH.

On my Sherman Max, I get around 35Wh/mile riding 25-30 MPH.

Of course that goes up sharply with speed.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Dan Cobar said:

On my KS 18XL I get around 25Wh/mile at my normal cruising speed of 25-30 MPH.

Thanks for sharing. This is very interesting because I had 18XL for several years and it had double (real) range compared to my actual S16Pro (my experience). Having in mind that it is the same rider, the same weight and almost the same battery (18XL: 1554Wh vs S16Pro: 1480Wh) the difference is big. If I recalculate the consumption you stated for 18XL it would be approx 15,5 Wh/km. 18XL has 2200W motor vs 3000W in S16Pro. But the difference is not 50%.

It seems to me that on top of higher consumption of stronger S16 motor Kingsong also increased a bit the safety margin, thus reduced the usable battery capacity. Perhaps to allow S16 to accelerate strongly and not to limit speed so sharply when having <10% battery, which in case of 18XL is very limited (my experience with S16 is that even having just 4% battery the "beeping" started at 31 kph.

Let's see more numbers for comparison.

Edited by Magovec
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WoID said:

BMS update 1.82 released today for S16 pro. Maybe it changed something, improved things. 

I did 15km ride with 1.82 and so far see no notable difference. (but not objectively measured in any way)

On 4/25/2024 at 4:33 AM, Magovec said:

Thanks for sharing. This is very interesting because I had 18XL for several years and it had double (real) range compared to my actual S16Pro (my experience). Having in mind that it is the same rider, the same weight and almost the same battery (18XL: 1554Wh vs S16Pro: 1480Wh) the difference is big.

Yes,  the 18XL is a special wheel. Part of that is my riding style, and part is the wheel.  The 6P configuration vs a 4P configuration makes a big difference.  I would routinely get much better range than friends riding a V11 or RS19 with similar battery Wh.  One of the features that liked about this wheel, was that it was supposed to allow you to go full speed down to 25% battery, while most other wheels would reduce your max speed at 50% battery.

We would make a game of guessing how much battery I used at the end of a ride.  They always would guess that I used way more than I did.

I just got an 18XL V2 yesterday and did my second ride today, averaging a bit over 24 kps (14 mph)  and I got 12.5 wh/km on a bike path, near constant speed, having to slow only for pedestrians. This was a 30 minute ride on a local bike path. This was on a full charge, and voltage was only reduced from 84 to 82 volts.

Edited by rcgldr

12-13 Wh/km is perfect. 24kmh on average is not so much but rather very gentle ride but I would love to have such option on my S16 to decide whether to go sporty and then not to be surprised by consumption or half consumption for cruising when I do not need power, speed and full torque.

5 hours ago, Magovec said:

12-13 Wh/km is perfect. 

On the private streets near my home, I have to slow down and get back up to speed at intersections more often than that bike path, and 18XL used about 15 wh/km.

1 hour ago, eucandoit said:

Today I received my s16 pro and did a 10 kms ride. Avg speed is about 17km/h. Avg energy is 14.85 wh/kms. This was my first ride after ks 14d so I am trying to get familiar with the wheel.

This would be very good. Anything under 20 Wh/km is a good result.

After 700 km my app shows 25,4 Wh/km. This would include both light "gliding" 15-20 kph and riding harder 40-50 kph on average. I guess it is the average number since the begining (I do not see any reset function in the app for this).