Molicel S18 vs 18XL

I've been riding a V8F since August 2021, and looking for a minor upgrade, probably 18XL V2 (spiked pedals, mini-power pads). Wondering about the new S18 with hollow motor, assuming the first batch hall sensor issue has been fixed. The only other EUC I've ridden was a V11 for a few minutes from a chance encounter on a nearby bike trail. I don't need the range, so Molicel S18 should be enough. Comparing S18's Molicel P42A 20S3P pack and 18XL's MJ1 20S6P pack, at 60 amps, the Molicel pack has less voltage drop (links to battery test info below).

One issue is the 3 inch wide tire on the S18 and the cambered private streets where I live (video below). Another potential issue is any play in the suspension making it more prone to wobbles. Some riders complain about this on the V11, but so far I haven't found a similar complaint about the S18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjD9sWQHoSA&t=7s

P42A:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Molicel INR21700-P42A 4200mAh (Gray) UK.html

MJ1:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG 18650 MJ1 3500mAh (Green) UK.html

• Like 1

Yo, S18v3 owner here. I still ride it regularly because I can carry it one-handed up stairs.

- only downside of mine s18 is range / plastic stuff / shock / and motor mount. s18 v4 solved motor mount problem. 

The question about voltage drop is pointless, since S18 / 18L limiting max current to "around 40A" after few seconds.  I am pretty sure 18xl has a similar board and probably even the same FW. I don't think you will ever get 60A (bat amps) through those controllers with 6 MOSFETs.

With P42A you can ride hard and fast your EUC down to low battery beeps,  mine s18 loses power from 40 percent of battery. I am thinking about replacing cells on s18 for Samsung 50s, when they die. 

18XL and S16 Pro owner here. I'd say it depends what your use case for the upgrade is.  My 18XL has over 5000kms only ridden on roads - other than having to change out an LED strip twice, wheel had zero problems for the 14 months I had it. On the flip side, I got an S16 Pro for gravel-littered streets and light trail riding, and that thing had multiple software bugs and alignment problems in the first 2 weeks - In general I would say be mindful and prepared for more maintenance with a suspension wheel as there's much more moving parts. Also mounting on a suspension wheel, at least for me, required a much different technique. Pedal height between your V8F to an 18XL would be seamless. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 11:27 PM, daniel1234 said:

The question about voltage drop is pointless, since S18 / 18L limiting max current to "around 40A" after few seconds.  I am pretty sure 18xl has a similar board and probably even the same FW. I don't think you will ever get 60A (bat amps) through those controllers with 6 MOSFETs.

I used 60A as a current spike case (like going over a small bump uphill). The main point was that P42A at twice the current of MJ1, has less voltage drop. For example, P42A at 15 amps, about .22 volt drop per cell, 4.4 volt drop for 20S3P pack (45 amp load), MJ1 at 7 amps, about .35 volt drop per cell or 7 volt drop for 20S6P pack (42 amp load). 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:27 PM, daniel1234 said:

I can carry it one-handed up stairs

I was told by two vendors that the trolley handle isn't strong enough to use as a lift handle. Is the area around the shock strong enough?

Edited by rcgldr

23 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

Pedal height between your V8F to an 18XL would be seamless. 

Half a cm, from 15.5 (V8F) to 16.0 cm (18XL).

• 4 weeks later...