HELLO TEXANS! EUC and PEVs in the big state.

We are considering a move to Texas (Houston suburbs - Katy or Sugarland) or suburbs of Austin.  Just a couple of questions...

- How are the trails (mostly paved - I'm not skilled enough YET for off road)?

- How's the PEV Community? 

- Any issues with laws, police or neighbors that hate to see you having fun?

We (myself, my husband, and two young adult sons) are very respectful riders, giving right of way to pedestrians, not scaring the children or the elderly. We mainly ride on sidewalks unless road travel is needed, etc.

Love to your thoughts!

Best,

Beth and the Evans PEV fam.

• Like 1

I am sure you are aware of the amount of trails so I won't go into that. The paved trails are well kept, and I have not had issues with washout or debris. Sidewalks are a different matter, and depending on the city they are only maintained by the home owner. by law we can be in the streets on the bike lane. I don't think we are supposed to be on the sidewalk.  That being said, I have never had an issue on the sidewalk. The rain is frequent, but VERY predictable. You can see it coming, and it usually doesn't last long. I am not that familiar with the west side.  I mostly ride around the inner circle, so keep that in mind.  I prefer the streets, but I used the trails a lot to get around the city. The heat is real, so be prepared to become a vampire 8 months of the year haha. 

There is an good EUC community.  The local facebook group is active. Rent-e-boards is a great resource.  The sell, rent, and repair unicycles.  They have a awesome showroom, and organize group rides. It varies, but the usually do 3 group rides with EUC a month.

I can't say about Sugar Land or Katy, but I have had zero negative interactions with the actual police in the inner core.  As far as the bike path "cops", Houston cyclists are very pretty chill.  People on bikes had a lot to say in Dallas, but never in Houston. 

I like to use the EUC instead of the car every chance I get. Be prepared to ride in the road for some of your trips.  The trails are great, but will only get you around so much. Don't take cars cutting you off personally.  Houston highways have a lot of left hand exits.  That trains the local drivers to merge very aggressively.