Cyclope Halo headlight and Neonowe taillight fro Patton, Lynx and Sherman S by MrMayArt

OliG

Hello Wheelers friends,

At the end of December, the more attentive among you may have seen that MrMayArt, a new accessory manufacturer specializing in headlights for Leaperkim/Veteran wheels, announced the launch of its new headlight, the Cyclope Halo.

I contacted MrMayArt to find out more about this famous Cyclope Halo, whose look and functionality immediately appealed to me. He very kindly offered to send me a kit comprising the new Cyclope Halo headlight and Neonowe taillight, so I could test them out and let you discover them.

But first of all, who is this famous MrMayArt? MrMayArt aka Artem Maistrenko first created the Neonowe taillights  or the Sherman S. He then went on to design and produce the Cyclope LED headlight series, of which the Halo version is the 3rd generation. He also continues to produce the Neonowe rear light, with 2 versions now, one for the Sherman S and one for the Patton.

So what's this famous Cyclope Halo headlight ?

The Cyclope Halo is a wonderful headlight for Veteran wheels that adds a superb LED daytime running light with Halo effect to the functions already present on the Cyclope Pro, namely low beam and high beam.

The Cyclope Halo is available in three versions, one for each of the latest Leaperkim wheels: the Sherman S, the Patton and the Lynx. As I'm equipped with a Patton, I tested the version for this model. As far as I know, the Sherman S and Lynx versions offer exactly the same features as the Patton.

Here, with a few photo illustrations, is a presentation of this famous Cyclope Halo for Patton by MrMayArt, with details of the complete kit I received for testing. I complete the presentation of the headlight with that of the Neonowe rear light, which I was also able to test.

As usual, I also include the essential information on how to setup these new accessories on your wheel.

The complete contents of MrMayArt's Patton headlight and taillight kit:

The complete kit tested includes:

• A Cyclope Halo headlight and 2 M5x16 screws
  • 2 remote controls for the headlight
  • 2 remote control holders (in WHEELERS PRO colors 😁)
  • A Neonowe taillight and 2 M5x16 screws
  • Some attractive retro-reflective stickers

Assembly of headlight and taillight

Assembly of the Cyclope Halo headlight is very simple. All you need are 2 Allen keys (3 and 4 mm).

The process for fitting the headlight is as follows:

1. Carefully disconnect the jack port from the original headlight.
  2. Start by unscrewing the 2 screws holding the original headlight in place with the 4 mm Allen key. For those who have fitted Nylonove bumpers to the front handle, there's no need to remove them, as there's a dedicated hole to access the original screws.
  3. Once the original screws have been removed, don't forget to retrieve the 2 nuts inserted between the fins of the original headlight.
  4. Position the Cyclope Halo between the 2 headlight fixings on the front handle and check that the screw threads are aligned with the plastic parts of the handle through which the screws supplied with the kit will pass. This is the trickiest part.
  5. Insert the M5x16 screws supplied with the Cyclope Halo and tighten them loosely using the 3 mm Allen key. Don't overtighten: once tightened, the headlight must remain mobile enough to adjust its inclination effortlessly by hand. Be careful not to over-tighten, as this may damage the headlight screw threads. Note that the screws supplied with the headlight can be used with the red Nylonove bumpers (see my presentation of the Nylonove bumper set for Patton).
  6. Carefully reconnect the new headlight's jack port. It's essential to position it at 90° to the wheel when inserting it into the connection port, to avoid damaging the fragile jack connector. Be careful to handle this connector without forcing it and with the wheel switched off, otherwise you risk damaging the end of the headlight's jack connector and/or the wheel's jack charging port.
  7. And that's all.

Note: MrMayArt informed me that he is now going to start using screws which require only the Allen key in size 4 for Cyclope Halo and he will add a key into the mounting set.

Fitting the Neonowe rear light is just as simple, though a little more time-consuming. Indeed you need to remove the rear handle to remove the original rear light. The tools required are the same as for the front light: Allen keys (3 and 4 mm). You'll also need a 5 mm Allen key to remove the metal tube connecting the left and right parts of the rear handle.

The procedure for fitting the Neonowe rear light is as follows:

1. Start by removing the rear handle (and the Nylonove bumpers protecting them, if you are using them). Unscrew them with the 4 mm Allen key. Use the 5 mm Allen key to undo the metal tube connecting the two handles. Simply detach the tube from one side of the handle.
  2. Once the rear handle has been removed, carefully disconnect the jack port from the original rear light.
  3. Unscrew the 4 screws on the original tail light using a 4 mm Allen key.
  4. Position the Neonowe tail light and check that the screw threads on the light's mounting arms are aligned with the corresponding screw threads in the battery box (those at the bottom used for the original tail light, not those at the very bottom used for mounting the handle).
  5. Tighten the screws supplied with the Neonowe light, using the 3 mm Allen key.
  6. Carefully reconnect the new light's jack port, following the same instructions as for the front light.
  7. Refit the various parts of the rear handle (and rear bumpers if you have them).

Using the Cyclope Halo

The headlight switch on the wheel (the one that turns on the original headlight) powers the new headlight:

• If the switch under the headlight is set to "Off", the headlight switch on the wheel will power the Halo LED only. To switch on the Cyclope low beam, turn the switch under the headlight to "On". To activate the Cyclope high beam, use the remote control ("A" button). To switch off the low beam and keep only the LED daytime running light, use the switch under the headlight and set it to "off".
  • If the switch under the headlight is already set to "On", the wheel's headlight switch will turn on the Halo LED and the Cyclope low beam at the same time. To keep only the Halo LED, turn the switch under the headlight to "Off".

So the Cyclope Halo LED can then be used separately from the low and high beam as a daytime running light.

Remote control operation:

• A short press on the "A" button on the remote control toggles between the 2 available lighting modes: low beam and high beam.
  • A short press on the "B" button on the remote control allows you to make headlights calls. In other words the "B" button flashes the high beam for a fracture of a second.

One of the questions I had is whether the remote control is coded? If not, can you change the headlight mode of someone else's headlight when you are next to it? Answer is that the remote control is coded so you cannot change someone else's headlight mode. 

Note that the latest version of the Cyclope Halo features a new Halo ring with a cooler light temperature. From now on, this will be the only version produced. The effect is slightly nicer when lit at the same time as the main lamp (and it looks better in photos too 😁).

The headlight includes a fan. The lamp itself is quite small, so it doesn't have a large radiator. That's why the addition of a fan is necessary to ensure proper headlight cooling. The cooling fan on the headlight is water resistant as well as the whole headlight.

The Neonowe rear light is very simple to use: it lights up like the original rear light, when the wheel is turned on. It flashes a few times on ignition before remaining steady. Don't worry, this is normal.

It's much more visible than the original light, which is its main advantage, especially in daylight.

However, it doesn't include a "turn signal" function when the wheel is turned to the left or right. It doesn't include a braking function with an increase in intensity when the wheel slows down. The lack of these two functions didn't strike me as critical in use, compared with the improved visibility.

Note: with the original rear light, a short press on the wheel's power button, when the wheel is on, switches the rear light off. With the Neonowe, a short press on the wheel's power button when the wheel is on has no effect on the tail light. In other words, you can't switch it off without switching off the wheel, during charging for example.

Where to buy the Cyclope Halo and Neonowe taillight

The easiest way is to order from the MrMayArt online store, which can be found at https://mrmayart.com.

You'll find excellent prices there, and Artem also offers attractive bundles combining headlight and taillight if you're interested in both.

You can also find the headlight on Hulaj Market here: https://hulaj.market/veteran-lynx/2022-81405-front-lamp-cyclope-halo-to-veteran-lynx-patton-sherman-s.html#/315-cyclope_pro_light-white_white/345-cyclope_halo_wheels-lynx. This may be of interest if you want to place a combined order with other Nylonove products, for example.

And finally, if you'd prefer to buy it directly in a store in Paris, Artem informs me that Fastride will also be offering the Cyclope Halo for sale.

As an addition to our review MrMayArt has prepared a special discount code for you:

https://mrmayart.com/discount/WHEELERSPRO

Code separately: WHEELERSPRO

With the code you will have a 10$ discount per order for the first 10 who order. 

Test results

Once again, I'm delighted with the improvements these accessories bring, both in terms of functionality and aesthetics.

I was certainly expecting an improvement in lighting with this new headlight, but on top of that, Artem has been at the Nylonove school and has also taken care of the design and ergonomics of its products.

Quality and finish are excellent. All electronics and wiring are well sealed, so you can enjoy driving in wet weather.

Replacement is a breeze, even if, like me, you've added bumpers to the handles.

Lighting options are clearly extended, with LED daytime running light, low beam to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, and high beam for maximum visibility on dark roads when you don't disturb other road users. And now you can even make headlights calls with your wheel, it's crazy! Rear visibility is no exception, with incredible brightness and 150° visibility (so is it still the V14 that has the most visible rear light 😁? ).

Clearly low beam/high beam switch is very useful on the road and a clear asset on crowded bike path at night to inform you are coming. 

Using the remote control is simple and practical. I'm still wondering whether, in use, it's better to attach the remote control to the wheel so as never to forget it, or to find a way of attaching it to the wrist guard. The latter option would give easier access to switch from low beam to high beam and headlight call functions. So it remains to be seen which is better over a longer period of use. As the headlight comes with two remotes, I recommend keeping a spare in your backpack to make sure you can use the high beam even if you forget the main remote. It's also possible to attach the remote control to your keyring, so everyone will find the best way to make sure they don't forget it on the road.

Finally, as always, the most subjective aspect: aesthetics. I already loved the new look of the Patton with Nylonove's Slim/Buffy kit. The addition of MrMayArt's Cyclope Halo headlight and Neonowe taillight are a perfect match, both aesthetically and in terms of finish quality, with the previous accessories designed by Nylonove. In terms of improving the Patton's look, I'm not disappointed either. I find that the Halo LED adds to the Patton the only Inmotion feature I've ever wanted 😁

Don't hesitate if you have any questions, that's what the comments are for.

Links:

•  

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3588.jpeg

IMG_3589.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

IMG_3598.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg