V12 HT shell leans left after crash/reassembly

NewRiderV12HT

It was dark so I didn't notice it was drizzling rain when I exited a roundabout, I lost traction, and crashed the V12 HT. Which tore the tire valve off of the inner tube. I replaced the inner tube using 

Now the top of the shell leans left. When I distribute my weight equally, the wheel will lean left. I can only turn left at 17 mph compared to 27 mph on right turns.

Idk if it's from the crash or from bad reassembly. What should I do to check? 

20231120_202724 - Copy.jpg

Edited by NewRiderV12HT

• NewRiderV12HT changed the title to V12 HT shell leans left after crash/reassembly

It's kinda hard to tell what's wrong from the picture. It looks to me like your pads aren't at the same height on each side, which makes it hard to tell where the "bend" is at. I erased them and tried to draw axis lines for the two separate axes you're working with.

bentv12frame.thumb.jpg.b586b91cafb35477fefd63551cffa050.jpg

It's been a minute since I disassembled my V12HT, but the first thing I would do is disassemble it and check the inner steel frame. Is either the left or right "leg" bent? Or (my guess) been pulled off its attachment point so as to be longer than the other side? That would make that side lower, which would make the wheel's axle not perpendicular to the vertical axis of the rest of the body. Does that make sense?

Because of geometry, one leg would only have to be a tiny bit longer to make a big misalignment angle. In the same way that when you're falling a tree, a 1" wedge in the back cut can move the top of a tall tree over by several feet.

Post pictures of it disassembled (shell removed at least). That way someone smarter than me can probably spot the damage. I know it sucks to have to take it apart again, but you're going to have to do it anyway to repair whatever is wrong.

I'm honestly surprised it still rides at all without something rubbing badly...

Btw, what exactly did the wheel go through after you lost control? It would have to be something pretty spectacular to knock the alignment out like that. OR maybe you did reassemble it incorrectly somehow (although I can't think how), which would kinda be a better situation...

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 6:21 AM, UPONIT said:

It's kinda hard to tell what's wrong from the picture. It looks to me like your pads aren't at the same height on each side, which makes it hard to tell where the "bend" is at. I erased them and tried to draw axis lines for the two separate axes you're working with.

bentv12frame.thumb.jpg.b586b91cafb35477fefd63551cffa050.jpg

It's been a minute since I disassembled my V12HT, but the first thing I would do is disassemble it and check the inner steel frame. Is either the left or right "leg" bent? Or (my guess) been pulled off its attachment point so as to be longer than the other side? That would make that side lower, which would make the wheel's axle not perpendicular to the vertical axis of the rest of the body. Does that make sense?

Because of geometry, one leg would only have to be a tiny bit longer to make a big misalignment angle. In the same way that when you're falling a tree, a 1" wedge in the back cut can move the top of a tall tree over by several feet.

Post pictures of it disassembled (shell removed at least). That way someone smarter than me can probably spot the damage. I know it sucks to have to take it apart again, but you're going to have to do it anyway to repair whatever is wrong.

I'm honestly surprised it still rides at all without something rubbing badly...

Btw, what exactly did the wheel go through after you lost control? It would have to be something pretty spectacular to knock the alignment out like that. OR maybe you did reassemble it incorrectly somehow (although I can't think how), which would kinda be a better situation...

Good Luck.

Thanks for you reply. I replied in my head after I saw your post, but forgot to actually type it, sorry x.x

Drawing the lines onto the picture was helpful.

I was exiting the roundabout at a bit above 25 mph, started sliding down right, leaned hard left, over leaned and did a rolling fall down at around 15 mph. I hit my left shoulder armor, top left backpack, center backpack, right hip armor, then lightly tapped the BRAKE FREE light on the back of my helmet. I only suffered minor strain pain in my leg occasionally for 2 days before all pain was gone. I don't think the EUC took much damage other than the inner tube's valve being torn off.

I disassembled and reassembled my EUC today and made sure to center the shell on the wheel. It's MUCH better now. I can go at least 22 mph on turns on both directions with minimal effort and feel very centered. 

Thanks a lot for your advice!

• Like 1