New rider V12 HT

fl105kg

After joining in August of 2016, I have finally become the owner of a V12 HT April 2023. 
I hadn’t realized it had been so long…

coming from an OW. Any tips, tricks, advice is greatly appreciated. 

cheers!

• Like 3

If you haven't ridden an EUC before go check out all the learning vids on YouTube. And then be aware that it takes a while to click. Short sessions practicing basics will need to occur before you can actually ride it. I came from OW and eskate and I think it was 8-9 sessions before I could ride it more than a metre or two . Early sessions were fighting with the wheel and trying to mount the bloody thing 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't get discouraged during the initial learning. Some people pick it up easily, some people take a while. I was able to wobble unsteadily around the yard within an hour, but others need a few weeks. Most of it comes down to your subconscious mind getting attuned to the wheel, so give it as much time as possible (perhaps in chunks) and good sleep. (I spent 30 min to an hour every day for the first two weeks practicing.) The role of conscious thought is less to learn and more about being intentional about exposing yourself to new situations, focusing on what needs to be practiced, and trying different things with your feet, etc. 

If you're like me, you'll hit speed wobbles for a little bit once you start picking up speed. They'll go away as you learn to shift your balance to compensate and to "loosen up" on the wheel. (I started by picturing myself as the Green Goblin from the old Spider Man comics, riding his little flying thing.) A good set of pads helps with wobbles too.

Keep your PSl at or above 30 regardless of your weight. There have been issues with the rim cutting into the valve stem when the PSI was lower, necessitating the complete replacement of the tire. That is probably the most common issue I've seen with the HT.

Welcome to the HT family and EUC ownership. Reach out if you have specific questions once you get underway. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My weight is 225-230. I took the leap of faith. It went well. I can’t turn sharp yet at slower speeds.  Running psi at around 35-38. Between Onewheel and sport bike experience it makes sense to me how the balance and turning works. Turning reminds me of how my old gsxr would turn. Counter turn and lean when faster and cut wheel when slow. I raised the stock pedals to the high setting and have no pads currently. Looking at various pads now. How do you know which all ones fit v12? Debating on if I want to stay 0 degrees or 2 degrees with toes slightly down. I don’t know how it will effect it if it throws off the weight balance towards the front. 

14 minutes ago, fl105kg said:

My weight is 225-230. I took the leap of faith. It went well. I can’t turn sharp yet at slower speeds.  Running psi at around 35-38. Between Onewheel and sport bike experience it makes sense to me how the balance and turning works. Turning reminds me of how my old gsxr would turn. Counter turn and lean when faster and cut wheel when slow. I raised the stock pedals to the high setting and have no pads currently. Looking at various pads now. How do you know which all ones fit v12? Debating on if I want to stay 0 degrees or 2 degrees with toes slightly down. I don’t know how it will effect it if it throws off the weight balance towards the front. 

Chooch is always rockin the Clark Pads Xtreme - 3D on his V12 HT. I have the Clark Pads Xtreme Foam, those should fit nice also. 

I bought a set from a Etsy seller, EUC by Rob made specifically for the V12.  I have a set of the Clark pads and I couldn’t make friends with them.  The slightly dome shape of the sides of the V12 combined with the slightly small area for the pads to attach  securely.  EUC by Rob pads were like 79 bux shipped in your choice of colors.  I have  a set and quite satisfied with them.  I just ride my wheel, at 70 not particularly interested in jumping and stuff like that and these pads seem to be a good combination for me,  they fit on the sides, still can see the lights and the foot plates will still fold. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, fl105kg said:

We about the same size, and my “experience “ (if I can call it that) is I use mine at 0 degrees tilt, off-road, no split and 100%.  And the pads I mentioned are excellent, again that is my rather limited experience, they are the only ones I found that really fit the V12 rather limited pad sticking area. I have my pads set with the left , non dominant foot slightly aft and I use that for braking, right foot is the go pedal.  I now have about 150 miles and finally feel confident enough to ride in public, not too concerned about launching the wheel into the side of the most expensive thing I find on my rides.  It is a heck of a lot of fun! 

• Like 1

I will try that pad setup I notice I do the same with my non dom foot (right) I do put my ankles against the wheel causing some pressure on heel and ankle. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.  Are there any longer/wider pedals ? I have the stock and my toes completely hang off the front and heel and ball of foot slightly extend over pedal edges. 

16 minutes ago, fl105kg said:

I will try that pad setup I notice I do the same with my non dom foot (right) I do put my ankles against the wheel causing some pressure on heel and ankle. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.  Are there any longer/wider pedals ? I have the stock and my toes completely hang off the front and heel and ball of foot slightly extend over pedal edges. 

I like these E-Rides pedals and will eventually get them for my Sherman. Dimension: Length 26.5cm, Width 11cm

https://e-rides.com/product/electric-unicycle-honeycomb-spike-pedals-erides-pedals-noir/

• 5 months later...
On 4/25/2023 at 7:09 AM, Kakes11 said:

I like these E-Rides pedals and will eventually get them for my Sherman. Dimension: Length 26.5cm, Width 11cm

https://e-rides.com/product/electric-unicycle-honeycomb-spike-pedals-erides-pedals-noir/

Are these compatible with other wheels?

On 4/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, Jkay said:

We about the same size, and my “experience “ (if I can call it that) is I use mine at 0 degrees tilt, off-road, no split and 100%.  And the pads I mentioned are excellent, again that is my rather limited experience, they are the only ones I found that really fit the V12 rather limited pad sticking area. I have my pads set with the left , non dominant foot slightly aft and I use that for braking, right foot is the go pedal.  I now have about 150 miles and finally feel confident enough to ride in public, not too concerned about launching the wheel into the side of the most expensive thing I find on my rides.  It is a heck of a lot of fun! 

Loving this setting. Using TEP pads. Works amazing! 300 plus miles now