quick question

My buddy has one and he’s replaced the motor and firmware, he’s had zero problems since and it’s still one of his favourite wheels. He has a decent size collection and is a very experienced rider, so he has a lot to compare to.

@techyiam is a member here with one, maybe they can answer from personal experience. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen an official announcement from Leaper Kim saying that the random cutout issues have been resolved. But I believe the dealers and distributors have said the Abrams random cutout issues have been resolved. 

However, on Facebook, the consensus seemed to be that if you got the updated motor (not with the 21.10.xxxx.xxxx motor code), the June 2021 firmware (latest), the tail light sealed, the fuse box terminal nuts re-tightened, the motor wires junction box terminal nuts re-tightened, (and piggybacked two capacitors on the mainboard, for safe measure) then the odds are low, that you will get a random cutout. In fact, I have not seen any reported random cutouts until recently (April 2). Someone is claiming he got the updated motor and still got a cutout while riding seated down a curb in Hard Mode at around 5-10 km/h on Facebook. He said after the dropping off the curb, he experienced a small cutout. I wonder whether it was a pedal dip? And after switching back to Soft Mode, the rider rode another 30 km's without issues.

I have over 1500 km's and have not experienced anything close to a cutout. In fact, the motor feels very strong, smooth, quiet and refined.

Out of the box, the motor makes a raucous electric motor noise, when it still has the original firmware.

After updating to the latest firmware, the motor will sound a lot better, and will not have random cutouts above 10 km/h due to bad hall sensor signals. 

Kevin (EUC Upgrades) has a couple videos explaining what to do to prevent random cutouts on the Abrams.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I think I might just wait a year or two and get it

There will undoubtedly be generations of new wheels with better tech by then. You should be able to pick up a used one at a good deal at that point. Keep in mind that it’s unlikely the Abrams will have much support as far as parts go. I suspect it will be discontinued. 

• Like 1

Well, the Abrams is already more than a year old. In a year or two, the Abrams will be two to three years old.

In one or two years, I think suspension wheels will be mainstream and most bugs would have been worked out.

• Like 2