Charger interchangeability between EU's

Lorents

Hello to everyone, first post on this forum :) I live in Norway and have been riding my EU for a few weeks. I originally bought it for commuting but it is so much fun riding these things that I use it mainly for fun now.

I have a Airwheel X8 and have just ordered a TG-T3 for my son. To me it looks as the charging socket are the same on these EU's so I was wondering if the chargeres are interchangeable. Can the X8 charger be used to charge the TG-T3 and vice versa?

I am looking into buying a GW 14 MCM. Would that charger work with either the X8 or the TG?

Thanks a lot for all the info you have made available here! Wish I found this forum before I bought my first EU :)

I believe a lot of people who go on trips with their EU tend to pack just one charger to share between 2 or more EUs of different makes when they know they will be staying the night somewhere they can charge up.  However for my IPS T260 they made it with a 4 pin aviation plug (GX16-4) instead of the standard 3 pin because it uses a charger that would be too powerful for a lot of other EUs to handle and would likely cause fires in other wheels and I believe that has happened before with the IPS charger in the past.

This is where you have probably heard of EUs exploding batteries and companies like Solowheel justifying their high retail price for their "Quality Components" and claiming other EUs are unsafe because of their inferior parts catching fire.  Where the truth of the matter was that the first generation of these more powerful chargers had the standard 3 pin plug too and without reading the data sheet that came with charger a user connected this more powerful charger on a different EU and caused that EU to catch fire.

So in short, yes, you can use the charger on different EUs, but best to check and make sure that all the EUs can handle the same charger.

When I got my cheap EYU.CO wheel very quickly followed by my first IPS132 the three pin charger on the EYU went wrong after a week or two.

In order to keep using it in the short term I removed the cable from the charger checked the outputs and polarity and charged the EYU by poking the lead ends into the correct pin holes on the four pin IPS charger.

It worked fine for a couple of months whilst I was trying unsuccessfully to get a replacement from dx. I eventually gave up and bought a replacement three pin charger off of eBay for a little over £10.

No overcharge problems or fires, in fact even the led charger light turned from red to green on full charge. So I would say check the pin polarity is the sam just to be safe but I'm fairly sure they're all wired the same.

The exceptions to this are Rockwheel and Solowheel who both use different battery packs with different specs.

Thanks for your answer Gimlet! I have a multimeter so I'll check the polarity of the pins before connecting just in case.

One pin on the charging cable would be positive and one is negative. Do anyone know what the third pin is? Is it for the green/red battery status light on the charger?

Archived