DIY - Lift Kit.

Funky

Heya everybody.

So i'm thinking about lifting my 18XL shell. So i could fit true 18x3" tire. I have installed already K66 80/80-14 tire. But down the road when time comes for a new tire. I may buy K66 again, but in 80/90-14 size. And for fitting that tire my idea was using this DIY method.

I need to lift the shell about first/second screw holes. (1-2 Cm higher.) End result would look like image.

Any thoughts about this? Could it work out? Yay/Nay? Any input could be valuable.

22222.png

I know most 18x3" tire width is to wide for 18xl. Even the K66 that is on my wheel right now.. It's sides also needed to be cut.

Edited by Funky

I just put an 18xl back together after a bent motor and case fix. From my findings you would be hard pressed to widen  the case. Way to much involved.  I find the 18xl to be a very stable fast wheel that needs nothing but shims under the peddles to make them gotway angled. Oh, and power pads.....she's a sweet wheel as is!.... a lift kit might be nice though....hmmmm. might have to think about that....

5 hours ago, Mattman said:

I just put an 18xl back together after a bent motor and case fix. From my findings you would be hard pressed to widen  the case. Way to much involved.  I find the 18xl to be a very stable fast wheel that needs nothing but shims under the peddles to make them gotway angled. Oh, and power pads.....she's a sweet wheel as is!.... a lift kit might be nice though....hmmmm. might have to think about that....

I don't need to make the wheel "wider". Like i said, i have already K66 80/80-14 (18x2.5") tire that originally was 76mm wide. I simply cut it down to 66mm (4-5mm knobbies each side.)

K66 80/90-14 (18x3") that is bigger, but have the same width of smaller brother 76mm. I would just need to cut sides same as on 80/80. But diameter wise it's 2-3Cm bigger, that's why the shell lift.

To make the shell wider - it would be horror story. To much spacers involved for every screw and filling all ~1cm gaps in plastic. (In white shell wheel well middle would need spacer/filler. And for black shell you would need spacer/filler for both sides, so light/charger/power button panel sits right in middle. Also new mounts for motherboard.. Top cover all around.. I think even axle would need to be extended..) < Not worth all the trouble for just 2-3Cm bigger tire. But just adding 4x metal plates - easy.

Edited by Funky

I'm looking into doing a similar metal plate setup as well with a 14D to make it an off road exclusive wheel.  From initial research I'll be doing a 2.5" lift and plan to install a knobby tire.  I'll have to extend the motor and hall wires but otherwise looks pretty straightforward.  I'm in the process of getting an inexpensive 14D to work on.

Note:  Won the 14D on ebay so I guess I'm doing a lift lol.

Edited by M640

3 hours ago, M640 said:

I'm looking into doing a similar metal plate setup as well with a 14D to make it an off road exclusive wheel.  From initial research I'll be doing a 2.5" lift and plan to install a knobby tire.  I'll have to extend the motor and hall wires but otherwise looks pretty straightforward.  I'm in the process of getting an inexpensive 14D to work on.

Note:  Won the 14D on ebay so I guess I'm doing a lift lol.

Most knobby tires are very wide. I doubt the tire itself will fit into wheel well. (Ofc if you cut the plastic, etc.. Anything will fit.) :D I had the same problem. My wheel well is ~72mm wide. So most tire side knobbies need to be cut. Even on K66 i needed to cut all knobbies till tire sidewall. From 76mm wide to 66mm wide.

Also maybe you won't need to extend the wires. Simply run them more directly. All wheels have some play/give in wires.

Edited by Funky

57 minutes ago, Funky said:

Most knobby tires are very wide. I doubt the tire itself will fit into wheel well. (Ofc if you cut the plastic, etc.. Anything will fit.) :D I had the same problem. My wheel well is ~72mm wide. So most tire side knobbies need to be cut. Even on K66 i needed to cut all knobbies till tire sidewall. From 76mm wide to 66mm wide.

Also maybe you won't need to extend the wires. Simply run them more directly. All wheels have some play/give in wires.

Good info per the wires.  I was thinking that might be the case but I haven't been into a 14 yet.  I'll start on the lift once the wheel gets here 

I found this video. Guy managed to fit 2.75 tire and made 18L wheel well from 72mm wide to 79mm wide. By simply placing "spacers" inside wheel well. Ofc also lifting whole body..

(You can turn on subtitles, translate to English.)

Edited by Funky

If I can't find a 2.5" knobby that fits I may put a 2.125" knobby on it.  No biggie really.  Bigger tire or knobby.  My "off road" definition is pretty tame compared to most.  What is "Ofc"?  Also, I watched a little bit of the video but couldn't get the CC to go to Engilish but no worries because I could see what was going on.

Your pic is very similar to the idea I had in mind.  Using the ideas we both have I don't think it'll be much of a process to lift these wheels.

Edited by M640