Sherman Max w/Darknessbot >80% PWM setting

Xodarap1

With 80% PWM setting in darknessbot, my sherman max beeps start at about the same time as the ones in darknessbot.  Has anyone explored going 5-10%+ beyond this 80% setting?  The reccomendation in darknessbot is to not exceed 80%, but during a lift test, there is 17mph difference from where beeps start to where the wheel cuts out.  I understand the safety margin and why the buffer is there, but it seems like quite a bit of wiggle room.  

I also would like to know if anyone has figured out if the default sherman max beeps start at 70% or 80% of usuable power.  It seems there is a lot of workable range left on the table, IF the pavement is known, smooth/clear, no wind, no up or down slope etc.  

Steve

The lift speed/no-load max speed of a motor is impossible to achieve once there is any load placed on it. And the true top speed will depend on how big that load is.

An apparent 17mph "overhead" may only translate to 3mph actual overhead when you have a heavy rider going uphill against the wind. Even with no wind on flat ground, the frontal area of a rider provides significant wind resistance at high speed, and the tire has rolling resistance.

The lift speed test is only useful to get an extremely rough idea of the useable max speed of an EUC. I'd guess 60mph lift is probably about 45mph max with an average rider. (flat ground, no wind, etc)

PWM is the only true indicator of speed overhead at any given time under current riding conditions and battery voltage. I personally wouldn't want to ever exceed 80% at high speed.

Edited by dycus
  • Like 2

I got up to 94% on mine @ 44.3 mph and weigh ~210 lbs geared up. But I don’t think I have a PWM alarm set.

I did not realize I was going that fast. I need to find a solution to hear the beeps better.

Edited by lazybones99
  • Like 2