MCM5v2 cutout for motor cable

I’ve recently had to remove and replace the motor a few times from my MCM5v2, and I’ve found that one of the most annoying things is removing the motor from the body. The axle and motor cable get really jammed up against the plastic brackets that hold the motor, and I have to apply a lot of force to flex the plastic apart and shimmy it out. It’s difficult and seems like it has a high risk of damaging the cable.

It seems an easier solution would be to cut out a thin (~3/8”) slot in the bottom of the plastic bracket to allow the cable to freely slide in and out when removing motor. It seems like this wouldn’t really negatively impact secure attachment of the motor since all 6 screw holes would still be in place.

Has anyone tried something like this?

Just wanted to update that I did it, and it’s a huge improvement! It is so much easier to remove and replace the motor now, and it doesn’t seem like there’s any negative impact on the stability of the bracket once the motor is installed.

• Like 1