Uh oh Smelled Electrical Smell

HuskerDawg

So I smelled a very faint electrical smell after a ride today. I am hoping it wasn't coming from 18L but I fear that it was. I also have a Tv in my garage and hoping for the best.

I rode it again just in the yard messing around and seems fine. Just dont want the dreaded power cutout............. time will tell I suppose. 

Did the wheel have a pretty good workout? I have noticed a trend in compounds used for production on newer type boards of all sorts. Some can smell downright awful and horribly strong, but I'm not convinced that it is normally an issue. A faint smell, probably nothing to worry. The smell of a board so hot it burned because of a ground or component meltdown... BIG SMELL! Nevermind the fact that if something did burn, the issue would manifest itself with bigger problems. Keep an eye on it, but its still a pretty new wheel, and perhaps you're finally just warming up some of the build compounds as you get better as a rider. Keep me posted, I am an 18L nut, and need to know if theres anything to bolo for. What was the build date, just out of curiosity? I wish a factory burn in test was standard, but i fear WE are the burn in testing.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Build 30.10.18    I'll certainly keep a nose on it. It was very very faint. I even got down and smelled around the LED's and the charge ports, thinking I'd get a stronger whiff but nope.

Its virtually brand new. I think I hit 58 miles today. Today was probably the hardest its been ridden. Meaning I ripped around pretty good on it today, keeping the speed above 3/4 for longer periods of time then I have in the past. I'll ride it gingerly some tomorrow if I dont get rained out. I am hoping we are both right here, I was thinking the burn in as well. Compounds/Cosmoline or what have you. I did notice the tire still smells like brand new rubber :) 

In any case, I'll for sure be wearing my new Demon. BTW the Demon helmet fits great, its light, and has an integrated chin bar (doesn't unclip) which I suites me better, I often wonder if the removable chin bars will snap off under decent stress. 

So far KingSong has my confidence, but if this goes south............. I want to buy another EUC probably mid summer. Not sure what brand but I keep seeing videos and Gotway (dont recall the model) seem to be prevalent. Its the one that looks like its made out of carbon fiber. Any Shane, thanks for the positive thoughts, I'am hopeful it doesn't turn into another bad purchase.....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

Build 30.10.18    I'll certainly keep a nose on it. It was very very faint. I even got down and smelled around the LED's and the charge ports, thinking I'd get a stronger whiff but nope.

Its virtually brand new. I think I hit 58 miles today. Today was probably the hardest its been ridden. Meaning I ripped around pretty good on it today, keeping the speed above 3/4 for longer periods of time then I have in the past. I'll ride it gingerly some tomorrow if I dont get rained out. I am hoping we are both right here, I was thinking the burn in as well. Compounds/Cosmoline or what have you. I did notice the tire still smells like brand new rubber :) 

In any case, I'll for sure be wearing my new Demon. BTW the Demon helmet fits great, its light, and has an integrated chin bar (doesn't unclip) which I suites me better, I often wonder if the removable chin bars will snap off under decent stress. 

So far KingSong has my confidence, but if this goes south............. I want to buy another EUC probably mid summer. Not sure what brand but I keep seeing videos and Gotway (dont recall the model) seem to be prevalent. Its the one that looks like its made out of carbon fiber. Any Shane, thanks for the positive thoughts, I'am hopeful it doesn't turn into another bad purchase.....

58 miles, new rider(no offense, I'd just imagine you are barely pushing it, but still more than before...). Do you track telemetry data?  Just keep an eye out and pretend it never happened. Maybe climb a grass hill at slow speed a few times if you can already. You could always stress test it by tottering back and forth against a wall. I'd bet since we are coming off winter and you're new and the wheel is new, its just basic burn-in.  Don't fear too much or let it get in the way of enjoying it. Just be safe, enjoy the new bucket and have fun.

Edited by ShanesPlanet