Shout Out to Michael Vu!

1wheel

Hello everyone,

I need to start this entry with a Shout Out to Michael Vu! He came to Austin last weekend, and with his expert coaching and insightful encouragement I’ve a good start.

Today was my second attempt  at riding, and I was a bit weary of not having my balance immediately  - but just like Michael told me it would happen, it did;  I stepped on, balanced, and started moving with relative ease! Then that Peter walking on water moment…so like Michael coached – I rocked forward increasing speed a bit, stabilized and had a good afternoon of figure eights, straight-ways and circles! Even started working on transitioning from forward to backwards (with the help of a handrail).

My legs’ muscles are adjusting. Not so much herky-jerky, but finer movement for control. I rode for a little over an hour before my legs’ muscles started feeling a bit tired which was good because I needed to stop to complete my afternoon’s obligations.

The moving sensation to me seems to be more akin to snow skiing (2 skis-downhill) or bicycling rather than rollerblading or skateboarding. While I enjoy both roller blading and skateboarding, it’s nice to lean a little forward to increase power/ speed to move across a parking lot or ascend a slope instead of having to push. And to have speed/breaking control without having to make a series of turns, or drag a foot is assuring especially when cars, people, buildings…. Also, being able to just step off is really nice.

Thanks again Michael!

Archived