FlexSeal for EUC tires, a panacea or placebo?

Jayzao

That is the question. Is Flex Seal suitable for sealing EUC tires at the time of tube installation?
A local scooter mechanic said he applied Flex Seal to a customer's off-road scooter, which continually punctured from thorns and various desert nasties. He said, "Since applying Flex Seal to the tire and smoothing it out, allowing it to dry thoroughly, and then installing the tube, there have been no more instances of flats with this person."
Does anyone have feedback on this application?
image.png.b0f3199518532ab91badcc3a4cbbf356.png

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Jayzao said:

feedback on this application?

I would use tire slime before a product that isn't meant to put in tires if worried about continued punctures, that product only fully solidifies when it extrudes out a hole so it's free to constantly coat the inside of the tire whereas flex seal would solidify inside the tube and i'm sure it doesn't have the same elasticity as the tube itself making chunks that fall off when its inflated. i would also worry about the vale core getting plugged.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I would use tire slime before a product that isn't meant to put in tires if worried about continued punctures, that product only fully solidifies when it extrudes out a hole so it's free to constantly coat the inside of the tire whereas flex seal would solidify inside the tube and i'm sure it doesn't have the same elasticity as the tube itself making chunks that fall off when its inflated. i would also worry about the vale core getting plugged.

They are not putting it inside the tube. They are putting it in the tyre. Another lining, so now there is the Rim, rim liner, tube, flex seal, tyre.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PourUC said:

They are not putting it inside the tube. They are putting it in the tyre.

My mistake , why would they do that? The air is in the tube and a thin layer of rubber on the inside of the tire is not going to prevent a puncture that pushes through the several layers and belting the tire has. If it pushes through the tire layers a thin layer of rubber is not going to stop it from puncturing the tube.

• Upvote 1

I changed the tire yesterday and patched the tube, as Amazon sent me several incorrect tubes.
eWheels is sending out a couple of correct tubes, so we'll have them in the queue.
It was an adventure changing the tire. Wrangling the bead and tuber was the most arduous part of the process.
image.thumb.png.ea09ad8840e82cf97309bf8771d9a157.png

• Like 1

I had this stuff lying around and considered using it, although I'll probably wait for the Armor-Dilloz to arrive.
I pulled the valve core and drained out all the fix-a-flat from the tube in the process. ;)
image.thumb.png.2dcaf5e2cc6f82df0a3510b43d6856eb.png

• Like 2