Tubes - Valve stems or 90 degree extension?

OldSolo

Looking at discussions for 'unspoked' (12" rim) wheels, it is clear that people are having trouble sourcing reasonably priced inner tubes where the bend runs parallel to the tube.  There are different specs for valves, the 90* valve stem actually has a couple of different specs.  Here is a chart:Valve stem.pdf

This shows that the TR87 dimensions, but this has the stem rotated 90 deg out from the tube, while it seems EUCs come with parallel stems.  Going back through MANY threads, it seems the only consistent supply is from one of the EUC dealers.  Now I certainly want them to stay in business, but $20 for a cheap Chinese innertube is hard to stomach.  The JS87P has a parallel bend, although it is much shorter and I cannot find 12" (rim size" tubes with this.

What I have been pondering is simply using a straight valve with a screw-on 90 deg adapter.  Now these are only to be used when putting air in the tires & have to be removed afterwards, but this appears a possible COST SAVING solution.  This is the type of device I am thinking of:

valve-ext_large.webp.f905e9eb11af3cef13cba29d9aa64f69.webp

.Please let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note: tubes & 90 deg extensions arrived - Mini is to be delivered on Tuesday.  I intend to do some disassembly both to go over the assembly for properly torqued bolts (and apply loctite!) as well as to study the suspension.  When I reassemble I will put the Shinko SR241 on, and will use the straight valve tube.  I want to see if there will be enough room to attach & remove the adapter (no sense in leaving it in place while riding).  I can play around with that while checking out the suspension, making sure I haven't pinched the tube or anything else.

The Shinko tire itself has arrived, and it is narrower & less beefy than the stock knobby from the A2,  Yes, it is a 10" v. 12" tire, but the bulk of the A2 tire surprised me a little.  Then again, it IS a tubeless tire while the SR241 requires a tube.

More to come.

• Like 1

Well, this little experiment does not seem viable.  I pulled the tire of the new Mini last night (and was surprised that a tubeless tire had a tube in it!) in prep for changing to a knobby.  The straight valve stem exits the wheel adequately, but there is simply no room for anything to attach.  I DO think that simply grinding a little of the wheel away would provide needed clearance, but I am not going to do that at present.  What is funny is that there is a machined space on the wheel for the valve stem, but the casting has the actual hole at the very edge of the machined area!  Makes no sense, it's over an inch wide area.  That's what made me think I could cut a little more away to provide clearance.

Also: the Sr241 is significantly taller than the stock tire.  it's diameter is over 18", curious how it will fit upon reassembly.