Riding the Inmotion V12 was fun for 5 months...then the rim exploded.

Nate1897

54 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Low quality material can be brittle without really being hard.

Yes, I understand, It is clear the material is low quality and even if it isn't hard it is definitely brittle. 

15 hours ago, Tawpie said:

it's quite easy for a tiny micro fracture to grow into a large crack when subjected to bending forces. When you do a drop or hit a bump or pothole, the pressure increase in the tire as it deforms presses outwards on the rim and if there's a flaw in the casting

In the OP's case, if you examine the fractured surface, there is no evidence of crack propagation. It failed by brittle fracture.

If the rim is hit by the corner of a step for example, there should be some deformation, ie. a dent.  Instead, there appear to be abrasion on a short section of the outer rim on the piece that broke off.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

In the OP's case, if you examine the fractured surface, there is no evidence of crack propagation. It failed by brittle fracture.

If the rim is hit by the corner of a step for example, there should be some deformation, ie. a dent.  Instead, there appear to be abrasion on a short section the outer rim on the piece that broke off.

I checked my rim 2 days ago and everything was flat and with minimal scratches from dirt. 

I agree that it broke by the weakness of the metal, I've seen bent rims and they have been bent back. But the material on my rim most likely doesn't bend but only breaks.