Relocating across the globe - Take the wheel or buy new?

D7flat9

Hey guys,

Been struggling with a decision on what to do and since I'm not so technologically when it comes to these wheels, I was hoping for some advice.  I've been living in Seoul with my family and bought a Gotway ACM 18 months ago.  I've ridden it everywhere, and have accumulated roughly 4000 - 4500 km on the wheel. Never had any issues with it and it still works perfectly. I'm moving back to NYC/NJ area in a month. 

My question: Should I sell it and leave it in Korea for (roughly) 1/3rd the original price, or pay the $100(ish) shipping cost and bring it back with me to the States.  Am I going to start seeing battery performance issues soon or other issues for that matter? 

If I buy new, I'd be interested in the Tesla or the new ACM, but I have some emotional attachment to my current wheel as its really been my main mode of transportation. 

What would you do?

41 minutes ago, D7flat9 said:

Hey guys,

Been struggling with a decision on what to do and since I'm not so technologically when it comes to these wheels, I was hoping for some advice.  I've been living in Seoul with my family and bought a Gotway ACM 18 months ago.  I've ridden it everywhere, and have accumulated roughly 4000 - 4500 km on the wheel. Never had any issues with it and it still works perfectly. I'm moving back to NYC/NJ area in a month. 

My question: Should I sell it and leave it in Korea for (roughly) 1/3rd the original price, or pay the $100(ish) shipping cost and bring it back with me to the States.  Am I going to start seeing battery performance issues soon or other issues for that matter? 

If I buy new, I'd be interested in the Tesla or the new ACM, but I have some emotional attachment to my current wheel as its really been my main mode of transportation. 

What would you do?

If ship it . Why sell at so big of a loss ? You’d lose more selling than you’d be paying out to ship it . As far as degradation ...have you noticed any ? What  generation ACM is it ?

33 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

If ship it . Why sell at so big of a loss ? You’d lose more selling than you’d be paying out to ship it . As far as degradation ...have you noticed any ? What  generation ACM is it ?

Because I'm running out of time and it has some wear and tear so aesthetically, it might not look the nicest.  I haven't noticed any degradation yet, perhaps slightly shorter total distances traveled on one charge, but overall, nothing really.   It's a 2nd gen ACM. 

@D7flat9

I would say 1/3 of the original price after 18 months is not far from fair. The battery has about 1/2+ life left ( and hence less safe), the body scratched, new models appeared. I would say that just sell it in Korea, and get a new model back in US.

Disclosure: I am trying to sell my 9B1E+(<2000km) and KS-16 (<1000km) here in US, and I doubt if I can get 1/3 of the original price + $100.

I vote for take it with you. Sounds like a dependable wheel. Maybe I'm sentimental but I get attached to things I establish a history with. You're probably not going to get what you think its worth and you will have to spend $$$ to replace the wheel. Battery capacity may have shrunk if you always charge to 100% but if you've been using a charge doctor to charge to 90% or less, you should have plenty of capacity left. I know there was a recent study on Tesla batteries degraded less than 10% after 160K miles. I think they recommend charging only to 90%. https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

7 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

I vote for take it with you. Sounds like a dependable wheel. Maybe I'm sentimental but I get attached to things I establish a history with. You're probably not going to get what you think its worth and you will have to spend $$$ to replace the wheel. Battery capacity may have shrunk if you always charge to 100% but if you've been using a charge doctor to charge to 90% or less, you should have plenty of capacity left. I know there was a recent study on Tesla batteries degraded less than 10% after 160K miles. I think they recommend charging only to 90%. https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

Yeah ! Another point  for the yes’s. !

Archived