Did segways and hover boards ever get banned in Prague?

Masterb8

I was just checking out the local threads and saw one from a couple years ago that they may have banned it? What's the laws on where and what you can use?

Edit: guess they did. When I was there last summer I saw several people with scooters on streets. Guess I'll spend my money in other cities. 

Edited by Masterb8

It is true for the city centre. Segways are banned and the law is written in a way that also bans any other self-balancing vehicles. However the ban is mostly not enforced while riding a unicycle. Most of the riders from Prague ride in the center without much problem. You can also ride outside of the city centre where they are not banned.

10 minutes ago, andress said:

It is true for the city centre. Segways are banned and the law is written in a way that also bans any other self-balancing vehicles. However the ban is mostly not enforced while riding a unicycle. Most of the riders from Prague ride in the center without much problem. You can also ride outside of the city centre where they are not banned.

Thanks. What about motorized scooters? It was a pain in the ass walking everywhere and waiting for ubers since foreigners can't park anywhere pretty much. 

They banned all electric self balancing vehicles in center of Prague. Electric unicycles did nothing wrong and got banned by association with segway by the description. Reason was, that tourists leased segways in large quantities and endangered pedestrians by driving drunk. I think tourists started using electric scooters, which is even more dangerous, but bypasses the law. This is map of restricted areas.

5ad4b1f140d53_BannedpartsofPrague.thumb.jpg.f6e1491403ce9c1f2c9e9d27f8bfe0c3.jpg

I think Prague is the only place in Czech Republic where they banned EUCs. Apart from that, the laws are actually quite benevolent and I can ride on sidewalks and bike lines legaly. I'm not from Prague so this doesn't bother me personaly, but it still sucks.

Segways were an eyesore for me when I last visited my parental homeland.  I actually find them an eyesore in every country I visit.  Not the ones of people who actual own it, but tour operators.

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, Juick said:

Oh no! Google picture search betrayed me. :huh: Thanks for correction

Hi there

Is it correct to say that now there are no more restrictions in Prague, as I saw many scooters (intended as self balancing vehicles, not a moto), for rent in the sidewalks of Vinohrady and other areas of the citycentre?

Thank you

• Like 1