Braking/Stopping Practice

HazyJ

Hello.

Does anyone practice emergency stopping/braking?  What are some techniques you use?  I dig my heels like its a snowboard and lean back.  I can stop within two sidewalk squares from 8 mph on a 9b S1.  Are there any concerns about damaging the wheel by braking as hard as you can?  I would hate to turn myself into a battering ram by pushing to hard.

25 minutes ago, HazyJ said:

Does anyone practice emergency stopping/braking?

This is something we always advise beginners to practice - before they find out the hard way when something hazardous happens right in front of them.

27 minutes ago, HazyJ said:

Are there any concerns about damaging the wheel by braking as hard as you can?  I would hate to turn myself into a battering ram by pushing too hard.

Braking hard, from the point of view of the wheel and electronics, should put no greater load on the wheel than accelerating hard and it will be for a shorter period of time so unlikely to cause as much heat as, for example, prolonged acceleration up a hill.

What I would not advise is repetitive hard acceleration-braking-acceleration-etc. as that may result in overheating.

The one danger is if the battery is close to full. Braking regenerates energy back into the battery, if there isn’t the headroom to take it the wheel may fail to balance. This is the ONLY time I have ever faceplanted due too my EUC. I was showing off the acceleration with a full battery, leaned back to brake in order to turn around and the wheel just went “floppy”. I’ve never quite worked out why I came off forwards not backwards though?

On 4/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, HazyJ said:

Hello.

Does anyone practice emergency stopping/braking?

Sure, on a very regular basis, also downhill and lately also uphill. The latter is particularly useful to train the technique without putting the wheel under great stress.

What are some techniques you use?  I dig my heels like its a snowboard and lean back.

Sounds good to me, yet I recommend to keep the upper body always upright and rather bent the knees further (almost like sitting down, and pushing the wheel to the front) to get the same effect, like this

00~   00~      
         |    _|    00~   00~   00~
        /|     |    _|    _|    _| 
         /    //   __|   __|   __|
         \    \    \    |     /
         O    O    O    O    O

I can stop within two sidewalk squares from 8 mph on a 9b S1.  Are there any concerns about damaging the wheel by braking as hard as you can?  I would hate to turn myself into a battering ram by pushing to hard.

Yes, braking hard might well be the most severe regular operating condition the wheel can experience, because the drawn power is not physcially limited by the back EMV, as it is for accelerating above zero speed. That coincides with my impression that I can't do many emergency brakes in a row without getting much softer response. Depending on the model, you may also be able to outlean the wheel and land on your butt. I speak from experience.

Thanks for saving my teeth.  I now give it a few minutes warm up before really going.  Squatting feels a lot more prepared and ready than leaning.  I had a strange incident where I went down a steep bank and the wheel couldnt generate enough force to stop.  It felt like sliding doen a muddy hill on your heels.  Could that be a safety feature to prevent that overbraking cut out?  Does the wheel cut out at the extreme lean angle or do you lose leverage and fall from that?  

Thanks again!  

So far I could only outlean one of my wheels under braking. Admittedly, I don't try too hard to push beyond this limit, not only, but also because of the heat strain I suspect it puts on the material.

15 hours ago, HazyJ said:

the wheel couldnt generate enough force to stop.  It felt like sliding doen a muddy hill on your heels

Charged eucs have the same power to climb as they have to break. The engine push with the same power in boot directions.

Overpass the engine torque breaking doesn't mean a cut-off, sometimes allows to ride the lapse with loose feel and recover successfully if the slope don't comes bigger

15 hours ago, HazyJ said:

Thanks for saving my teeth.

Somewhat the same goes for accelerating: the safer way is bending the knees while pushing the thighs forward and keeping everything from the hip upwards in the very same upright position.

45 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Charged eucs have the same power to climb as they have to break. The engine push with the same power in boot directions.

They should have more power to brake than to accelerate, because the back EMV is a tension that works against the direction of spinning.

I read here on this forum recently about somebody getting shut off warning beeps from braking so hard on a ... KS16S?  Great braking power on that wheel, but if you're going over 20 on a good wheel you could get into trouble trying to stop over 4-5 sideway squares or something crazy

Archived