KingSong Wheels Never Cause Faceplants - right?

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

On a statistical basis, there is a 15% chance of a new Tesla/ACM board blowing within the first hour of use,

Holy hell, that is god awful, especially for something that can top 30 mph. If Gotway keeps this up, they may be forever tainted as brand. 15% failure rate has got to hurt the pocket books.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

. On a statistical basis, there is a 15% chance of a new Tesla/ACM board blowing within the first hour of use,

Yes , a scary statement indeed. But statistical data can vary a great deal depending on how it’s calculated. How many wheels is it based on and for what period of time?

8 hours ago, mezzanine said:

...If I was a newb, I'd question whether some of y'all are being paid to shill.  

:efef927839:  If there are any wheel manufacturers willing to provide monetary, wheel, or other benefits for strategically placed endorsements, I'm more than willing to oblige!   I can be bought for the right price, and I'm quite affordable!  I have low moral values, and I am more than willing to freely slander the competition.  :innocent1:   Corporate sabotage, subversive subterfuge, obfuscation services, you name it - I can do it for money.

Just wanted to put that out there.  :whistling:  

That being said, let me be the first to hope @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" wasn't hurt in the fall and that his Sony action-cam (nice camera) was unscathed.   We all know he's the Chuck Norris of EUC riders so maybe the sentiment should rather be I hope the trail was not too badly damaged from him falling on it.  :P

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Yes , a scary statement indeed. But statistical data can vary a great deal depending on how it’s calculated. How many wheels is it based on and for what period of time?

He said it right there, first hour of use. Jason's historical failure rates are pretty much in line with what @EcoDrift presented. Doesn't look like EcoDrift exaggerated his findings. 

6 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

He said it right there, first hour of use. Jason's historical failure rates are pretty much in line with what @EcoDrift presented. Doesn't look like EcoDrift exaggerated his findings. 

it’s not what I meant. I meant the history of the failures , the statistics,  what period of time does that encompass

I've owned every major wheel brand. Have wheeled close to 10,000 miles. The ONLY wheel that has ever cut out on me and wouldn't go any more is a King Song (14C). Blew the fuse with a crash on a fairly routine portion of my ride. To be perfectly clear I have never experienced a cutout — or an overlean – on any Gotway, and that's after 7,000 miles on three different models. Not trying to evangelize but just sharing my own experience.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The KingSong fanatics will never be convinced ;)  When I told @GoinPostal about the recent KS14D faceplant, he then told me, "only the S series are of great quality", even though the D and S are the same except for the batteries. So there will always be an excuse for the KingSong people :)

I'm just having fun here folks. I would have posted the same video if it was a Gotway wheel (I think I have :huh:)

Wow such strong reactions to an obvious friendly needle by Marty. The popularity of a product is not always based on it being the most reliable. HD bikes are (although vast improvements have been made in recent years) are generally not as reliable as Honda and Yamaha. Some people want the big battery and power and are willing to accept possible problems. How dare them..:whistling:

In that situation of going up a steep hill, I don't fault Kingsong or any other brand from cutting out like that. A blown fuse is still better than having to replace an entire circuit board. And I'm surprised that he actually did faceplant and was not able to run it off with how slow he was going. When I went up to the Hollywood sign, I was a little nervous when we first came up to those steep hills.  We all made it but I will say all of the wheels we were riding were appropriate for our weights (~120 lbs rider was on the MCM4, 150 lbs rider on the KS16A, 200 lbs rider on the KS-16S, and me at 185 lbs on the MSuper V3s+).

All wheels will eventually cutoff when pushed to its limits. Anybody saying cutoff is impossible is simply wrong. But the big thing you do not want happening are the random cutoffs under normal riding conditions.

7 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Newbs come here to try to get objective info about different wheels and are unprepared to have to filter through the personal biases of posters with too much emotional investment in a brand.  If I was a newb, I'd question whether some of y'all are being paid to shill.  

Hi,

That's right, I also came here for objective information about EUC because I live in a part of the world where you have to order exclusive products over the Internet. I have watched at a lot of videos (as the members of this forum are very good at) about all EUC brands on the market. I can tell you that it was Marty's videos that made me in the first place to become interested of EUC.

In fact, if you send questions to get information from manufacturers or sellers you will not get any answers from them. I have waited for two months for answers, nothing so far. Then I decided which wheel I wanted to buy and made the order, the order confirmation came in a few minutes. So Newbs have to filter away all emotions behind the knowledge here.
This week I hope my first wheel will arrive, ordered from Poland.

Continue with your good work! Soon it will be my turn to upload videos :-)
Greetings to all of you from Finland
Carl

1 hour ago, dismason said:

Hi,

That's right, I also came here for objective information about EUC because I live in a part of the world where you have to order exclusive products over the Internet. I have watched at a lot of videos (as the members of this forum are very good at) about all EUC brands on the market. I can tell you that it was Marty's videos that made me in the first place to become interested of EUC.

In fact, if you send questions to get information from manufacturers or sellers you will not get any answers from them. I have waited for two months for answers, nothing so far. Then I decided which wheel I wanted to buy and made the order, the order confirmation came in a few minutes. So Newbs have to filter away all emotions behind the knowledge here.
This week I hope my first wheel will arrive, ordered from Poland.

Continue with your good work! Soon it will be my turn to upload videos :-)
Greetings to all of you from Finland
Carl

Congratulations on the new wheel. What did you decide to buy :confused1:

9 hours ago, mezzanine said:

The tribalism towards brands doesn't serve the community well.  I guess it's unavoidable to some degree, but it shouldn't be encouraged/rewarded.  

Newbs come here to try to get objective info about different wheels and are unprepared to have to filter through the personal biases of posters with too much emotional investment in a brand.  If I was a newb, I'd question whether some of y'all are being paid to shill.  

I think anyone who comes here and spends a few days getting the lay of the land would be able to understand that there are no paid 'shills' here. Really?

I enjoy all the passions that people exhibit here. It's great that there are people that love KingSong wheels and not-so-much Gotway's. It makes for a great dynamic and I think we all get along because at the end of the day, we all love EUCs, right :clap3:

Do I have to recount all the trash talk that I've given towards my Gotway wheels, and the various failures, to prove my objectivity. Yet I'm not allowed one somewhat fun post about a KingSong failure? Yes, clearly I have preferences. Yet I can recognize KingSong for making great wheels, and Inmotion, and Ninebot, and ....

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think anyone who comes here and spends a few days getting the lay of the land would be able to understand that there are no paid 'shills' here. Really?

I enjoy all the passions that people exhibit here. It's great that there are people that love KingSong wheels and not-so-much Gotway's. It makes for a great dynamic and I think we all get along because at the end of the day, we all love EUCs, right :clap3:

Do I have to recount all the trash talk that I've given towards my Gotway wheels, and the various failures, to prove my objectivity. Yet I'm not allowed one somewhat fun post about a KingSong failure? Yes, clearly I have preferences. Yet I can recognize KingSong for making great wheels, and Inmotion, and Ninebot, and ....

My own perception is that you're bothered more than you like to let on about the Gotway criticism.  I believe you're backtracking by portraying this thread as an attempt at humour only because you were called out on it.

Look, my only intention was to try to offer feedback to improve the forum.  If you feel my criticism was unfounded, then I accept that and I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future.  You exert an incredible amount of influence on newbs.  If I was unaware that I was recommending wheels that have a failure rate like Jason and Ecodrift have reported, I'd personally feel kinda bad about that and even a little a responsible. 

14 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

My own perception is that you're bothered more than you like to let on about the Gotway criticism.  I believe you're backtracking by portraying this thread as an attempt at humour only because you were called out on it.

Look, my only intention was to try to offer feedback to improve the forum.  If you feel my criticism was unfounded, then I accept that and I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future.  You exert an incredible amount of influence on newbs.  If I was unaware that I was recommending wheels that have a failure rate like Jason and Ecodrift have reported, I'd personally feel kinda bad about that and even a little a responsible. 

I'm sorry if somehow this thread has bothered you. I'm certainly not asking you to be quiet.

To be honest, I'm not here to pamper newbs as you call them. My going-in position is to treat people like intelligent adults who can make up their own mind. I assume a base level of critical thinking. Everything that I see indicates that people spend an inordinate amount of time deciding what to buy. I did. Certainly they aren't going to pull the trigger based on a singular thread like this one.

Do you actually believe that people who scour this Forum won't see all of my negative commentary about Gotway wheels. I've said time and again that people who are averse to getting their hands dirty should avoid Gotway and buy the higher quality wheel (the two manufacturers that come to mind are KingSong and Inmotion). I'm pretty sure that 95% of the time when I recommend someone to buy a particular Gotway wheel, I add a caveat regarding quality and maintenance.

I'm just one guy with a passion for EUCs. There are plenty of other passionate guys out there and I don't think they are shy to express their opinions.

Peace B)

tbh I think people need to chill out a bit, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone is allowed to have a joke, I bought a gotway as my first wheel despite warnings from @Marty Backe about the issues, they did make me nervous but I don't regret the wheel I bought infact I think I would have been more unhappy being constrained within the kingsong rules than allowed to kill myself on my own voalition with gotway. But its horses for courses not everyone is like me, and some want that safety i've always been pretty bleeding edge with what I do and the tesla fits my needs perfectly, even now i'm looking at a second wheel and I find it hard to justify not going for another gotway even after hearing 15% failure rate.

I’m gonna stick my neck out into the line of fire here, but hey, when did this forum become a cult for Kingsong wheels? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, experience and perception. Noone’s opinion is an absolute fact, or all inclusive. Why do we get so bent out of shape over what appears to me to be a rather innocent thread by @Marty Backe? Sure, maybe the title is a bit sarcastic, so what?? 

Everyone has their own experience, I myself have a love / hate relationship with kingsong. Sometimes love takes over , sometimes hate. I am more neutral towards Gotway. My 14Cs used to break aaaaall the time, like really all the time, I went thru 5-7 axles, batteries would fail 2-3 times including short cutting , fuses blowing, cut outs , bent rims, water leakage, motor connections,  etc you name it. But I still love the wheel. Kingsong was very good is trying to help me with the failures and @Jason McNeil was super great and helped me every time I had a problem, even with the wheel I didn’t buy from him!!

So I went for an msuper which only broke down on me 1 time. 

So this is my experience. But it’s also not 100% objective because this was a previous generation KS wheels and I know they have come a long way in fixing prior issues, and I was riding a lot at the time and my weight was close to the maximum. I do believe the current KS wheels are much safer than they used to be and I do see the areas when Gotway comes short.

But to imply that any brand has no room for improvement is unwise.

Marty is one of the most prolific contributors to the forum and has shared his experience so many times. How come he is under such criticism for expressing his opinion that KS wheels are not infallible? 

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Congratulations on the new wheel. What did you decide to buy :confused1:

Hi Marty,

Well . . . I wanted a GotWay Tesla (after watched your Tesla-Videos), I put a Inmotion 10F to my wish list so I purchased a KingSong KS 16-C (sounds this logical?) :facepalm:
Regards
Carl

15 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", I don't understand, you have have the KS18S & GW Monster (ACM as well?) yet you voluntarily still ride a two year old 30kph, 800W KS16B Wheel? Why?! 

The 18S was just modded with more batteries and wasn't ready for duty yet.The last time I was in these hills was when I fried the Monster board and the same is true for the ACM.I would rather blow a fuse than a mosfet.No regrets.I have no interest in the KS vs. GW debate.I have multiple wheels of both brands and they each have their strengths and weaknesses.I'll leave that argument to "Eddie Boy" and "Marty BrokeBacke".:D

2 hours ago, dismason said:

Hi Marty,

Well . . . I wanted a GotWay Tesla (after watched your Tesla-Videos), I put a Inmotion 10F to my wish list so I purchased a KingSong KS 16-C (sounds this logical?) :facepalm:
Regards
Carl

:roflmao:

I love your logic: Tesla -> V10F -> KS16S :)  Hey, the KingSong is a great wheel, I'm sure that you'll love it :cheers:

6 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I'm just glad I saw this and was able to throw away my Kingsong wheels this morning before I ended up getting hurt. 

Very wise. Which Gotway wheels are you getting as replacements? ;)

Archived