Jump to content

KingSong Wheels Never Cause Faceplants - right?


Marty Backe

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Yep. Never say never.   Only 2 hours ago my ks14c hit me with a series of very aggressive tilt backs and no less aggressive come backs to horizontal . It tilted back and forth on me 3-4 times in a row in a matter of about 3 seconds .  If I was any less experienced I’d be on the ground licking my wounds. I am actually suprized I was able to stay upright through this sequence. 

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully there was a reason for the tilt-backs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully there was a reason for the tilt-backs.

Yes. Speeding over what the firmware allows. Or more likely the battery voltage drop. However the way these tilt backs come in was uncalled for, too aggressive and a series of 3 in a row? :) never say never

Edited by Cloud
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I don't get the point here. Your example to "equalize" things is an obviously extreme hill that I wouldn't blame any wheel overheating on.

Seems kind of a desperate stretch.

I think you are being too pedantic here) it was just his way of easing into the thread. I don’t think @Marty Backe is tying to knock Kingsong as a brand

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I don't get the point here. Your example to "equalize" things is an obviously extreme hill that I wouldn't blame any wheel overheating on.

Seems kind of a desperate stretch.

You are confirming my point. Regardless of how KingSong's fail, there's always a 'reasonable' explanation.

The two Gotway wheels didn't faceplant their riders on this hill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other than the firmware problem with the Gotway super v3(?) that caused Marty to crash, are Gotways actually failing under normal everyday riding conditions? By normal I mean: no riding up the insane dirt hills like Marty and crew traverse, no riding at, on beyond the maximum audible/tilt-back warnings, no Jason "ANDs", pushing maximum speed up maximum hill for maximum range. For the "enthusiast" who push their wheels to the limit, I guess some of the Gotway concerns are warranted. EUCs are transport for me. They are recreational only in the sense that they are a joy to ride. In contemplating a new wheel I had all but excluded Gotway because of the bad press, which often came from people who never own one. Now only price has stopped me from going in that direction. I am hoping the Z6 or possibly Z8 will have the price performance qualities I seek. If not I may wait and see if the V10 or KS16S drop in price or ... ?  In all fairness to the KS failures shown-mentioned, they were both older models .. just sayin. :efee6b18f3:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Other than the firmware problem with the Gotway super v3(?) that caused Marty to crash, are Gotways actually failing under normal everyday riding conditions? By normal I mean: no riding up the insane dirt hills like Marty and crew traverse, no riding at, on beyond the maximum audible/tilt-back warnings, no Jason "ANDs", pushing maximum speed up maximum hill for maximum range. For the "enthusiast" who push their wheels to the limit, I guess some of the Gotway concerns are warranted. EUCs are transport for me. They are recreational only in the sense that they are a joy to ride. In contemplating a new wheel I had all but excluded Gotway because of the bad press, which often came from people who never own one. Now only price has stopped me from going in that direction. I am hoping the Z6 or possibly Z8 will have the price performance qualities I seek. If not I may wait and see if the V10 or KS16S drop in price or ... ?  In all fairness to the KS failures shown-mentioned, they were both older models .. just sayin. :efee6b18f3:

@Scott Henley's KS14D (a new model) faceplanted him a short while ago. See his bruised-lip picture above. He was not going up insane hills or doing anything out of the ordinary.

IMHO Gotway wheels are not failing during normal everyday use, as you put it.

Edited by Marty Backe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", I don't understand, you have have the KS18S & GW Monster (ACM as well?) yet you voluntarily still ride a two year old 30kph, 800W KS16B Wheel? Why?! 

@Marty Backe for fairness sake, let's take stock of what GW were pushing out at the same time as this vintage Wheel; a 67v ACM with MOSFETs as fragile as a Song Dynasty vase & motor wires that have the dual-function for making toast on the way up that hill.

Yesterday I made a statement that there's been no reports of a ACMv2 dying, but that this was premature. This morning I received a dreaded 'I received my brand new ACMv2 & within 3 mile it cut-out, no longer turns on'. I wish I could say that the failure rate for GW is now as good as KS, but I'm afraid to say this is not the case. On a statistical basis, there is a 15% chance of a new Tesla/ACM board blowing within the first hour of use, if you make it through this critical danger point, then the likelihood is it's going to hold-up over time. 

 

Holy hell that's a pretty high chance of failure for such expensive items, after so many generations of wheels.

@Jason McNeilhaving seen the improvements GW posted for the MSX (new mosfets, etc) do you think they finally have robust enough innards in this new wheel? It's the first time I even considered buying a GW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hatchet said:

Holy hell that's a pretty high chance of failure for such expensive items, after so many generations of wheels.

@Jason McNeilhaving seen the improvements GW posted for the MSX (new mosfets, etc) do you think they finally have robust enough innards in this new wheel? It's the first time I even considered buying a GW.

I think their failure rate must have to do with their QC or lack there of.  I still think it has to do with all the loose wiring and the vibration.  These wheels take a lot of G’s when going over bumps.  I didn’t know how much until I tried to mount a GoPro on them and the first minor bump I went over the GoPro tilted down to the ground!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

 

@Marty Backe for fairness sake, let's take stock of what GW were pushing out at the same time as this vintage Wheel; a 67v ACM with MOSFETs as fragile as a Song Dynasty vase & motor wires that have the dual-function for making toast on the way up that hill.

Yesterday I made a statement that there's been no reports of a ACMv2 dying, but that this was premature. This morning I received a dreaded 'I received my brand new ACMv2 & within 3 mile it cut-out, no longer turns on'. I wish I could say that the failure rate for GW is now as good as KS, but I'm afraid to say this is not the case. On a statistical basis, there is a 15% chance of a new Tesla/ACM board blowing within the first hour of use, if you make it through this critical danger point, then the likelihood is it's going to hold-up over time

Exactly what i want t write... @Marty Backe

Yip, 16b's havent been as great as the S Series, and sure, every wheel can fail, especially on such hills and especially when it is a 2 year old version of a wheel......

What still stays is that no matter which time you take take, failure rate of GWs is -at least 5-10 times higher than on KS. (15% to 1-2%? respect, GW, btw: no assumptions, hard numbers of resellers!)

Yip,  for those 2 year old 16b wheel we would have to compare it to the ACM 67V v1 which came out even 4 months later as 16b, where GW later had to put out the v2, as there v1 6MOS version had a 50% failure rate and was that unreliable GW had to double the MOS. So congrats, Jrkline, your KS16b made it 2 years, before the fuse blows on a steep hill.

Perhaps we should send up a half year younger 67V v1 ACM GW with 6MOS up that hill.....aaah, Sorry, i forgot, its not possible...none is even existing or better say still working nowadays :-)

Edited by US69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Exactly what i want t write... @Marty Backe

Yip, 16b's havent been as great as the S Series, and sure, every wheel can fail, especially on such hills and especially when it is a 2 year old version of a wheel......

What still stays is that no matter which time you take take, failure rate of GWs is -at least 5-10 times higher than on KS. (15% to 1-2%? respect, GW, btw: no assumptions, hard numbers of resellers!)

Yip,  for those 2 year old 16b wheel we would have to compare it to the ACM 67V v1 which came out even 4 months later as 16b, where GW later had to put out the v2, as there v1 6MOS version had a 50% failure rate and was that unreliable GW had to double the MOS. So congrats, Jrkline, your KS16b made it 2 years, before the fuse blows on a steep hill.

Perhaps we should send up a half year younger 67V v1 ACM GW with 6MOS up that hill.....aaah, Sorry, i forgot, its not possible...none is even existing or better say still working nowadays :-)

The KingSong fanatics will never be convinced ;)  When I told @GoinPostal about the recent KS14D faceplant, he then told me, "only the S series are of great quality", even though the D and S are the same except for the batteries. So there will always be an excuse for the KingSong people :)

I'm just having fun here folks. I would have posted the same video if it was a Gotway wheel (I think I have :huh:)

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...