My Conversion of an ACM to an ACM2

Marty Backe

When I sold my 1300wh 84-volt ACM to a local rider, he broke the axle but made me feel guilty that I had sold him a bad wheel. So I returned his money and was left with a useless wheel.

I decided to make lemonade from lemons. With help from @Jason McNeil of EWheels (thanks again Jason), I converted the wheel to an ACM2.

Follow my journey here:

IMG_20180414_141029813_HDR

Thank you, very helpful. Made me realize I would have forgotten about the axle nuts when ordering all the parts for an upgrade.

Did the tire do anything for you? Does it give more grip on dry (hard) ground, did you notice anything? (As it works really well with soft ground.)

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you, very helpful. Made me realize I would have forgotten about the axle nuts when ordering all the parts for an upgrade.

Did the tire do anything for you? Does it give more grip on dry (hard) ground, did you notice anything? (As it works really well with soft ground.)

I like the tire. Certainly has more grip when climbing loose gravel on hills. On pavement, I get the impression that it makes the wheel feel more agile. When making tight turns (180's) the wheels seems to spin easier.

Awesome job!  Do you have any photos of the aluminum bar stock epoxy repair? 

Also give us the name of the turd individual who likely tried jumping off a sidewalk, landed hard on the pedals, and crashed the wheel on the rear trolley bracket so we can offer some public shaming and ridicule.  Who does that and then wants his money back afterwards?  Others might want to sell their wheels and encounter the same issue. 

Need to sign a bill of sale next time - Sold As Is Where Is.  No refunds.  Fully inspect before purchase.   You buy something used you take your risks.

34 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Also give us the name of the turd individual who likely tried jumping off a sidewalk, landed hard on the pedals, and crashed the wheel on the rear trolley bracket so we can offer some public shaming and ridicule.  Who does that and then wants his money back afterwards?  Others might want to sell their wheels and encounter the same issue. 

Need to sign a bill of sale next time - Sold As Is Where Is.  No refunds.  Fully inspect before purchase.   You buy something used you take your risks.

For some strange reason I forgot to add the clip where I showed my shell repair. I'll post shortly a little video that shows what I did. Thanks for the reminder.

Trust me, next time I sell a wheel it's going to be  "Sold As Is". I'm not a dealer with a warranty. This guy was bad mouthing me behind my back (to some people in San Diego) but to my face he was all friendly. I felt bad and thought that maybe the wheel did have a weak axle. But later in the day, after getting the wheel back, I had a chance to look at it in my workshop. It obviously had a bad spill, yet he absolutely told me that he barely rode it.

Live and learn. I'm still learning :mellow:

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Now imagine what the poor dealers have to deal with.   :rolleyes:  I don't envy their jobs.  I'm glad you were able to turn things around and make the best of a bad situation,  What goes around comes around

I like to think so :-)

I'm not saying that that's case but the spill could have been caused by the axle breaking... That's what happened to me. I was riding, crossing the street and when going up on a slight bump of the sidewalk the axle broke. That resulted in a fall, cracked shell (similar to yours), burned board and zero damage to me as I was able to run it off... 

1 hour ago, andress said:

I'm not saying that that's case but the spill could have been caused by the axle breaking... That's what happened to me. I was riding, crossing the street and when going up on a slight bump of the sidewalk the axle broke. That resulted in a fall, cracked shell (similar to yours), burned board and zero damage to me as I was able to run it off... 

He specifically told me that "nothing happened". He was at a stop and noticed the wheel behaving funny. He said nothing about any falls. So I think he lied to me.

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

<snip>

Here's the missing video footage and a couple of pictures. Seems to be holding up fine after 20-miles of mountain trail riding

New Movie (124).Movie_Snapshot

New Movie (123).Movie_Snapshot

Looks good, A+ for working with local guy and Im sure it was just a bad luck with braking the axle, but I totally get you how one would feel bad.

Once I get my New wheel, if I wont sell my current msuper after my accident (it looks bad but work 100%), I may just try to have some fun with it and change colour.

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just remembered: what did you do about the fan? Did you just skip it, or build one in?

I skipped the fan. I think it's a gimmick in the ACM. The ACM and MSuper control board is tied to the pedal arm (huge heat-sink). I never had problems with my ACM's overheating. To the contrary, every Gotway wheel that comes with fans now overheats :(

Hi Marty,

Can you give your feeling about moving from ACM 1500W Motor to ACM2 2000W Tesla Motor.

Much Torque ?

I also have an ACM 1600Wh, and thinking about buying Tesla Motor, New PCB and 2 Columns to upgrade to 2000W Tesla.

Is it worth to to the upgrade ?

Thanks.

Olivier, from France.

16 minutes ago, olivier2604 said:

Hi Marty,

Can you give your feeling about moving from ACM 1500W Motor to ACM2 2000W Tesla Motor.

Much Torque ?

I also have an ACM 1600Wh, and thinking about buying Tesla Motor, New PCB and 2 Columns to upgrade to 2000W Tesla.

Is it worth to to the upgrade ?

Thanks.

Olivier, from France.

Rather than repeat myself, perhaps take a look at my ACM2 Review Video

Archived