Best and most reliable EUC with long distance battery, under $3k?

Joe Holliday

I've been riding the V5F+ for almost a year, and it's been great for recreation but I'm looking for something with more distance capability for my daily commute.

I'm trying to find something with a bit more top speed to, if at least as a buffer to prevent sudden slowing, and preferably not too big and bulky. Finally, it needs to be reliable and safe. I've heard about issues with Gotway ACM involving the pedal breaking, so I'm wary of that one.

Please let me know of any recommendations for these criteria for less than $3k, (preferably less than $1.5k if possible).

Thanks!

What distance are we talking about? If it's a commute, probably below 10 miles (one way) for time constraint reasons? If so, you can get pretty much any existing or upcoming wheel and it will work.

See ewheels for a good market overview, you'll get a great wheel for half of the 3k you're willing to spend: https://www.ewheels.com/shop/ Anything 16 inches or bigger. Just don't trust any range specs blindly, ask here.

ACM pedal breaking is a complete non-issue. Forget about it. Happened to 2-3 people a year ago, and was never heard from again. Gotway in general has a reputation for less quality, but even their wheels, especially if we look at the current and upcoming ones, will be very reliable.

48 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What distance are we talking about? If it's a commute, probably below 10 miles (one way) for time constraint reasons? If so, you can get pretty much any existing or upcoming wheel and it will work.

See ewheels for a good market overview, you'll get a great wheel for half of the 3k you're willing to spend: https://www.ewheels.com/shop/ Anything 16 inches or bigger. Just don't trust any range specs blindly, ask here.

ACM pedal breaking is a complete non-issue. Forget about it. Happened to 2-3 people a year ago, and was never heard from again. Gotway in general has a reputation for less quality, but even their wheels, especially if we look at the current and upcoming ones, will be very reliable.

Thanks for the response. I'm not quite sure of the distance yet, but I think it will be under 10 miles. I'm currently stationed on the east coast, and am about to pcs to NPS in Monterey CA, so it will depend on where I get housing. I still have to find out what the rules are there with regards to EUCs, especially on campus.

I'm glad to hear the Gotway issue isn't a concern, so I'll keep that one in mind as an option.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Reliable? My monies on Kingsong 16S or 18S. Trade off is speed and distance for the 16S and fugliness for the 18S. Jury is out on the 18L. Lot of new wheels in the pipeline so if you are not in a hurry I’d wait. 

On 4/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, Joe Holliday said:

Thanks for the response. I'm not quite sure of the distance yet, but I think it will be under 10 miles. I'm currently stationed on the east coast, and am about to pcs to NPS in Monterey CA, so it will depend on where I get housing. I still have to find out what the rules are there with regards to EUCs, especially on campus.

I'm glad to hear the Gotway issue isn't a concern, so I'll keep that one in mind as an option.

Thanks!

Nice area, I loved Monterey. Will you be permitted to ride on base? I think any of the popular 16" or larger wheels with 800+wh could manage your commute without recharging, and would have the stability, range and power for fun trips around the area.

1 hour ago, gr8ps said:

Reliable? My monies on Kingsong 16S or 18S. Trade off is speed and distance for the 16S and fugliness for the 18S. Jury is out on the 18L. Lot of new wheels in the pipeline so if you are not in a hurry I’d wait. 

The Kingsong 18S looks like darth vaders head! Its a fantasticly creative design. The white one looks like a storm trooper. It has a 60 mile range before it gets too worried about being out of power and it keeps shouting at you to get off and recharge it. However it still goes while speaking to you this way. It can cruise at 30 mph and the large tire is good on roads.

Some Gotways have a ton of range too. The latest Msuper x or whatever silly name it carries has a 100 mile range and around 40 mph speed on a 19” wheel. The thing is a goddamned one wheel motocycle! They also have a 16” wheel that can also do 50-60 miles and only mildly looks like Frankenstien’s monster’s head. The thing with gotways is that you should pay @Marty Backe a consulting fee if he will tell you his secret to riding them safer than any other human within their very powerful limits. They are more robust electronically and structurally than before. But all of these options are heavy! 47-57lbs heavy.

The Kingsong 16s and the V8 with the original 480wh battery plus the newer soon to be released 720wh battery which can be switched out in about ten minutes or less depending on repetition are very good choices for someone under 175 lbs. The Kingsong 16s $1299 is heavier at over 38 lbs, but it will go 22 mph top speed and around 30-40 miles on a charge with a 1200 watt motor which is much more stable than their 800watt previous version. The V8 $900 is 30lbs alone or 35 lbs with the extra battery on your back and in that configuration has around 50-60 miles range and a top speed of 20 mph using various apps like darknessbot or Wheelog and even the Solowheel app. It has a 800watt motor that is capable of 1900 watt spikes of power. Both have led lights and a built in handle, are 16” wheels, but the KS16s has built in bluetooth speakers. The KS16s can carry a 300lb rider while the Inmotion V8 can carry 240lbs of rider. So it depends on your weight, what you want in speed, If you want sound, and how much you wish to carry. They are both very sturdy designs and difficult to break. eWheels sells all shell parts for all three manufacturers should you be so talented as to break one.

I say buy one now at a lessor price and who are we kidding?, you will get a better better one around thanksgiving or new years. As we all say, there is no one perfect vehicle for all types of riding... yet. 

I guess I should mention the Inmotion V10F, but you said the best most reliable, and in its current form it just isnt.

Archived