Newbie Concerned With S1 beeping and tilting back

jb_segway1

Hello Everyone!

I've been practice riding my Ninebot S1 for a little under a week. I am now comfortable mounting the ninebot but i'm still wobbling and can only stay on for a short distances. My concern is while riding speed will rapidly increase, start to beeping and feels as though the bot is tilting back. It kind feels as though I'm going to fall off backwards so usually i'll stop or attempt to slow the down to a moderate speed but then it will speed back up. I wear a size 10.5 - 11 in mens sneakers and weigh 207 lbs. Could the rapid increase in speed be caused because my large feet are placed wrong or is the speed increase and tilt back normal? I've posted a photo of my foot placement. Any suggestion / recommendation wanted and needed. :) Thanks - J

IMG_3751.jpg

Did you take off the speed limit?  Think they come with speed limit set to 5-6mph.  All you have to do is turn that off.  Then your tilt back will be at the higher speed limit around 12mph?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm unable to turn off or increase the speed to 12mph because it's locked until i complete the training. The top speed I can go now is 6mph before the tilt back kicks in. Another question I have is is it required to tilt forward to increase speed and keep balance at all times or can I stand up right and allow the bot to cruise similar to a car without it losing its balance? 

EUCs are simple, they instantly try to counter any tilt, that's their working principle. So if you accelerate (not sure how you can even feel this when it already stops at 6mph:efee8319ab:) on your own while riding it's because you tilt the wheel forward. If that happens in your natural feeling stance, try recalibrating so the pedals are a bit tilted forwards in neutral (so you don't push on the front of the pedals that much, which would lean the wheel forward, which makes it accelerate to counter the tilt).

Your stance looks good, maybe a little more forward (half the overhang on your heel). It's mainly a matter of what is comfortable and gives you control, there's no right or wrong stance per se.

Instead of leaning your body, try controlling with small movements, with your toes. Push them down or lift them up to speed up or down. Basically whenever you want to change your speed, you do a quick toe thing to create a little tilt for a moment.

(You can also brake by bending your knees, as it shifts your center of gravity back.)

Try to get rid of the speed limit soon, it's easier to stay on at higher speeds. 6mph is almost too slow to learn.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, jb_segway1 said:

I'm unable to turn off or increase the speed to 12mph because it's locked until i complete the training. The top speed I can go now is 6mph before the tilt back kicks in.

Sounds to me like you have to go slowly enough so it doesn't tilt back until you get through the training period... then you can go faster.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, jb_segway1 said:

Another question I have is is it required to tilt forward to increase speed and keep balance at all times or can I stand up right and allow the bot to cruise similar to a car without it losing its balance?

"Technically" you have to keep a little forward lean to maintain speed, but in reality it feels like you're standing straight upright (WITH A SLIGHT BEND IN YIUR KNEES—just say no to zombie style riding, it's dangerous). After you've a few more miles under your wheel you'll get it figured out, it's important not to overthink this. Oddly enough, your body will understand before your brain will.

Edited by Tawpie

• 1 year later...

I'm a newbie bot user.  I got my Ninebot S second hand.  It has been a challenge.  The first thing you need to do is download the app and do their tutorial, all at one go.  If you don't finish, you will have to start from one again.  If at all possible, have someone with you, to read the directions.  Don't get off the bot to read them yourself.  I repeat, if you get off the bot, you have to start all over again. 

I put a longer handle style on mine, to steer with my hands instead of my knees.  If you do that, go into Sensor and reset your bot.  Sensor is in the same box as Light Effect and Security & Anti-theft.

You have to drive X amount of miles before it will let you change your speed.  

I found this website because my bot was beeping and tilting the standing platform back.  The first time that happened, out on a cruise, caused me to crash.  Have patience, go slow around the block however many times you need, to get accumulated mileage, so you can bump your speed up.  I just hope this tilting platform business stops once I'm able to do top speed.  Not that I need to go top speed but if the tilting backward continues I may have to get rid of it.