Newbie here...Just ordered a V5F... Can it be modified?...

Rama Douglas

I learned from these forums, that the batteries are the most costly part of the wheel itself, so probably you will end up buying a second wheel with more battery... thats actually a good thing owning 2 wheels ?

Edited by Clifmeister
typos
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Funny too because I've known of these things for many years. Not sure why I wasn't into them. Probably because I wasn't financially able to purchase until recently. I feel like a kid eagerly awaiting Christmas. Haven't been this excited about a new toy in decades!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

by upgrading battery? And if so what options are available? I'm sure I'll be happy with the stock performance for learning, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be jonesing for more mileage/charge.. Thx!

@Clifmeister, is correct in what he says. Another issue is that there is no room inside the case to add batteries. @Jason McNeil asked Inmotion to use the same number of cells (40) but using the higher capacity LG MH1 cells. This resulted in the model  V5F+ With 460Wh making it a very respectable wheel with considerably more range than the 288Wh of the V5F. However you really would not want to go to the cost of changing out your existing cells with these.

One other option would be to add an external battery pack to add to the existing internal battery. This has been discussed a number of times, search on “external battery” for example.

There are some real gotcha’s in going down this route.

1. Cost - you need a full battery pack with BMS so it is safe to charge, so price won’t be trivial
  2. Wiring - simplest method is to plug an external pack into the charging socket, but probably half the total current consumed by the wheel may be coming from the external pack - this may be too much for the charge circuit wiring.
  3. Safety - It is absolutely vital that both internal and external batteries are at the same state of charge when connected together - typically fully charged. If their is any significant difference between the two voltages then potentially massive currents may flow as one battery fast charges the other, this may easily burn out wiring or cause a fire.  I.e. you absolutely cannot add the second battery when the first runs low.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 3

@Keith wow. That's pretty trick bag info! I have much to learn and cannot wait for the arrival of my wheel. Thanks!

@Jason McNeil I'm about 175. Judging from my bloodshot eyes from a week's worth of research (and my budget), I feel strongly like I picked the right first wheel. I actually splurged and got the whole family hooked up on e rideables. The wife's getting the Ancheer e200 scooter and a Gotrax something or other scooter for my daughter. Maybe I'm a few months I'll get another wheel. 

@houseofjob Thanks for the confirmation! 

I actually purchased a selfie stick (which I've always despised) for the first time ever solely because of all the cool youtubers' uni videos. 

• Like 1