Whittier Hills California Trail Ride - Saturday April 14th 2018

Marty Backe

Short notice I know. I'm completing the rebuild of my original ACM, converting it to an ACM2 with a special trail tire (thanks @Jason McNeil for all of the hardware). I want to test it out this Saturday. If anyone wants to join me, please come along.

There are many trails to pick from in these hills, and they are some of the most enjoyable that I ride. We'll probably be riding between 15 and 20 miles.

For any of you trail lovers out there, this is your day. It's looking to be a sunny and hot day, so bring sunscreen, water, and energy bars. I'd like to start riding ~8am to avoid the hottest temperatures of the day. We could be riding 3 to 4 hours.

We will be meeting in this small parking lot (I will probably be parking somewhere on Beverly Boulevard to avoid unwanted attention in the parking lot) between 7:30am and 8:00am.   Google Map Location  FYI, the trail head for this ride will be the Art Deco Water Tower and will start with a solid Level 4 hill climb :)

You will be tired after this ride. We can all grab a nearby lunch afterwards to replenish our bodies and tell tall tales of our exploits :D.

@nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @noisycarlos @Questor @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @captainwells @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel

@YoshiSkySun @NBC44 @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" @Stan Onymous @Alsayyad @Marvin Ong  @HeavyGoing  @Kimosabi @zentype 

@serfy @n2eus @Williepimpin @Peter Q @Jon Sawa @Mike Hanna @maltocs

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm completing the rebuild of my original ACM, converting it to an ACM2 with a special trail tire (thanks @Jason McNeil for all of the hardware).

You do have a nice detailed video of that in the works, don't you? Because that project might be in my future (if money allows). Especially interested how it works with the bigger axle, do you need new pedal brackets, or just new shims. What are all the parts that need to be updated. Etc.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You do have a nice detailed video of that in the works, don't you? Because that project might be in my future (if money allows). Especially interested how it works with the bigger axle, do you need new pedal brackets, or just new shims. What are all the parts that need to be updated. Etc.

I have a video, but I'm not filming a lot of the details (you've seen one ACM tear-down video, you've seen them all).

It's been a slow process because of the incompatibilities discovered along the way. New motor and control board were obvious. But then I discovered that the existing pedal brackets/hangers are too small for fit the large axle (same axle that's in the Monster). I drilled out the hole in the bracket that goes over the axle but then realized that the slots that take the shims are also too small.

So today I just received the new Tesla brackets and they fit perfectly on the motor and in the shell.

Therefore, to upgrade your ACM to an ACM2 you will need

• Tesla/ACM2 motor
  • ACM2 control board
  • ACM2/Tesla pedal brackets
  • ACM2/Tesla steel reinforcement plates that get attached to the back of the pedal brackets
  • You do not need new shims, but if you're going to order new brackets I'd spend the extra change for new shims in case you need them. As far as I've seen, all Gotway wheels use the identical shims.

You can probably also get a new LED headlamp, although I didn't bother with that.

Thanks Marty, that is valuable information!

What parts of the old ACM did you re-use? I disassembled/butchered my old broken ACM today and not much is reusable, I'm worried about missing some small part like those shim reinforcement plates or whatnot.

(Also, if you want to mod-move this to a better place, maybe here http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/9103-acm-to-acm2-self-upgrade/ , feel free).

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks Marty, that is valuable information!

What parts of the old ACM did you re-use? I disassembled/butchered my old broken ACM today and not much is reusable, I'm worried about missing some small part like those shim reinforcement plates or whatnot.

(Also, if you want to mod-move this to a better place, maybe here http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/9103-acm-to-acm2-self-upgrade/ , feel free).

Thanks for the pointer to that other thread. I'll add this info and my video there two.

Oh, I did forget about those steel axle reinforcement plates (I just edited my post above). You will need those too. The Motor comes with washers that assume the plate is being used. Don't assume that if you order ACM2/Tesla pedal brackets that they will come with the steel plates.

I'm reusing everything from my old ACM except for the motor, control board, and pedal brackets.

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

Great video, really enjoying the commentary.

Looked like a perfect day to ride.

Some of those trails looked gnarly.:shock2:

image.thumb.png.5570bb20425d3cf191f445031fc95f35.png

Thanks. Yeah, on the switch backs they installed those large boulders, I think to keep mountain bike riders from riding too fast. They can be a real pain to traverse.

More Whittier stuff.....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Archived