Best wheel to ride on snow

EU_commuter

Moved to Ontario, Canada in January.  There was snow on trails/paths/roads half of time in the long winter.  I have been using my GW MCM4 going to work daily.  It work fine with less than a couple of inches of snow.   It's more difficult to ride when the snow level reaches to the pedals.

One of the other problems is that a quite bit of snow accumulates in the wheel and as much as half of a liter dirty water would come out in warm rooms.

I am thinking to upgrade the MCM4 with one running faster AND handling better in deeper snow (in the next season).  Thank you for any suggestion.  

40 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

V10F has the highest pedal height. The KS18L will have pedal height almost as high.

Thanks.  What do you think about Z10 which has wider tire and smaller volume of cage to trap snow?

7 hours ago, EU_commuter said:

Thanks.  What do you think about Z10 which has wider tire and smaller volume of cage to trap snow?

Yeah Z10 could be a great one, and quite possibly better on ice with the fatter wheel. V10 appears to have pretty high degree of water resistance, not sure about the Z10, and don't know what the pedal height is either

On 4/13/2018 at 2:20 AM, Scouts Honor said:

Yeah Z10 could be a great one, and quite possibly better on ice with the fatter wheel. V10 appears to have pretty high degree of water resistance, not sure about the Z10, and don't know what the pedal height is either

Should consider an Msuper X - 3" wide tire and higher pedals?  I think I should just wait to see what happens to all the "advanced" wheels.  Many thanks.

1 hour ago, tudordewolf said:

I never actually rode it this way, but:

S0dpHXr.jpg

Chain from slipknottraction  They can accommodate custom sizes. It rubs the case a bit and would take some modifying to make work.

Great idea.  Maybe use a smaller tire?

5 minutes ago, EU_commuter said:

Great idea.  Maybe use a smaller tire?

An 18 x 2.125 (as opposed to the default 2.5) would sit lower on the rim, definitely. That wheel recently froze up (After 2500+ miles though!), it could become a project wheel for that.

Archived