Msuper V3 1900, photos from Lukas gotway (MSX)

30 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Ok guys let’s stick to the subject of the MSUPER X , maybe start a new thread on all of your work out, body/diet routines.. really !  ?

Your absolutely right! @Marty Backe ——->started it. :innocent1:

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's right!  Darn thread derailers can never focus and stick to the topic.  :rolleyes:  Worse  than a gaggle of college school girls chit chating at a sleepover.  :innocent1:

I wonder if the new MSuper X will have the Tesla style control board set-up or conventional board on the side.  It would be cool to see an inverted design where the heatsink is on top with fins exposed to open air and the board mounted underneath which may assist in waterproofing and heat dissapation.

Not sure if you could tell by looking at the removed control board but this is what I found: 

MSuper-V3S-Vs-MSuper-X.jpg

Oh right!  I remember those photos.  The new board is actually larger than the previous version, plus it's most likely side mounted as there doesn't appear to be any room above the tire where the handle is in that last photo. Too bad they don't make curved PCB boards or divide them into two pieces so they can be angled somewhat.  I guess that would introduce another point of failure so maybe best not to consider that.  Miniaturization!  We need some of that.

It just seems like the sides are the best spots for battery banks unless you're an InMotion product and don't mind limiting battery space/range.  Weight distribution also seems better to have the heavy packs on the sides.  KS seems to be able to top mount without resorting to egg shapes.  Their shells do seem to be mounted a bit higher up though for clearance.

The only thing that worries me a bit is in the comparison side-by-side photo it looks like the X is getting wider than the V3. But that might be because it takes mucho cojones to ride the thing and then it won't be a problem with a wide stance, right?

:lol:  I'm betting that the new MSuper is fairly comparable in width to the previous version.  It looks like the tire fits tighter in the wheel well, or they gave it just a little more space in the shell opening.  Not much else would indicate that they need to widen things even more as far as I can see.  0.25" on either side of the tire isn't a huge increase to accommodate for. 

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Oh right!  I remember those photos.  The new board is actually larger than the previous version, plus it's most likely side mounted as there doesn't appear to be any room above the tire where the handle is in that last photo. Too bad they don't make curved PCB boards or divide them into two pieces so they can be angled somewhat.  I guess that would introduce another point of failure so maybe best not to consider that.  Miniaturization!  We need some of that.

It just seems like the sides are the best spots for battery banks unless you're an InMotion product and don't mind limiting battery space/range.  Weight distribution also seems better to have the heavy packs on the sides.  KS seems to be able to top mount without resorting to egg shapes.  Their shells do seem to be mounted a bit higher up though for clearance.

Miniaturization is all well and good, if you can solve the thermal problems associated with less area to dissipate heat from. Side mounting or top mounting is neither here nor there is terms of function, as long as the shell doesn't leak water. But of course space for the board means space not used for batteries...

My ideal would be a longer leaner card that could be fit on top of the wheel, with true heat pipes for the 247-MOS. Those heat pipes could be exposed to a air-duct like in the GT16, or to a bigger heat sink exposed to the wheel housing. Since it's a passive system, it wouldn't be dependent on fans or other such stuff that could stop working. And heat pipes are a rather efficient way of leading thermal energy from where it isn't supposed to be, to where it can be shed safely.

But I'm dreaming I suppose, good heat piping ain't really cheap. Usually they're made out of copper with internal anti corrosive lining and then trapped liquid. But given for how long the computer industry have used these heat pipes, especially in laptops, it shouldn't be THAT hard to do. Off course you have to secure the pipes in a way that avoids metal fatigue due to vibrations. But even that should be fairly straightforward.

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if the new MSuper X will have the Tesla style control board set-up or conventional board on the side.

Same shell (looks like it, minus the new side panels), same board position: side. Plenty of space for a slightly bigger board there. And not even remotely enough space for a board on top.

Also the air ducts are on the side (though their position is strange, half over where the battery would be). They'd vent absolutely nothing if the board wasn't there.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It looks like the tire fits tighter in the wheel well, or they gave it just a little more space in the shell opening.

My only real concern with the X. They use the old shell and cram a wider tire in there, so there's very little clearance. The tire might scrape as soon as you go the slightest bit offroad where some dust and dirt gets stuck on the tire. Let me tell you, that would be very annoying, I only get it from deep mud on my ACM but if it would scrape more often, that would make the wheel useless for (wet) offroad.

10 hours ago, MacPara said:

The only thing that worries me a bit is in the comparison side-by-side photo it looks like the X is getting wider than the V3. But that might be because it takes mucho cojones to ride the thing and then it won't be a problem with a wide stance, right?

If you look at the Msuper x specifications it specifies the width at 230mm while the Msuper v3 has width of 202mm.

So the MsuperX is wider by 28mm, basically just as wide as Monster.

About cooling...

Looking at the pictures of the new board: the mosfets are on its underside, they were on the side on the old one. The old mosfets primarily had the pedal brackets as heatsinks, now the board supporting heat sink looks to be the primary cooler. Or maybe the outer mosfet bank is still connected to the pedal bracket or the heat sink has a bend to screw it onto the bracket too?

That might explain the cooling vents, the small aluminium plate might be a worse cooler than the heavier pedal bracket.

Any ideas, guesses or info? I want to see some internal pictures of this thing.

2 hours ago, Adel said:

If you look at the Msuper x specifications it specifies the width at 230mm while the Msuper v3 has width of 202mm.

So the MsuperX is wider by 28mm, basically just as wide as Monster.

My ACM is 21.5cm with the leg pads and ~3cm less looking just at the shell. So 202mm for the ms3 sound like it's measured without the pads (it certainly isn't thinner than the ACM, is it?). 28mm difference would be pretty much exactly the thickness of 2 old style pads.

The msX has wider side panels but very thin pads. So is it really thicker or close to the same width as the ms3?

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The msX has wider side panels but very thin pads. So is it really thicker or close to the same width as the ms3?

I believe the width includes the pads for both. However the Msuper v3 you can make it substantially thinner by removing the pads which most of us do. You can see the width from behind of the MSX I this video

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

About cooling...

Looking at the pictures of the new board: the mosfets are on its underside, they were on the side on the old one. The old mosfets primarily had the pedal brackets as heatsinks, now the board supporting heat sink looks to be the primary cooler. Or maybe the outer mosfet bank is still connected to the pedal bracket or the heat sink has a bend to screw it onto the bracket too?

That might explain the cooling vents, the small aluminium plate might be a worse cooler than the heavier pedal bracket.

Any ideas, guesses or info? I want to see some internal pictures of this thing.

I bet it's probably attached in a similar way to the heatsink judging by how the MOSFETs are positioned.  They likely are still using the pedal support as a heat draw from the main heatsink while relying on air from around the spinning motor to cool it's aluminum underbelly.

I wonder if the vents are there to allow more air to pass into the wheel chamber itself where the heatsink fins, if any, are located.  That would make sense as the heatsink itself acts as the barrier against water ingress into the control board/battery compartment.  By allowing air to enter directly into the "wheel cover" that allows cooler to air displace hot gases.  Imagine wearing a black tupperware hat over your head that reaches just above your shoulders.  All that hot air rises and is trapped inside.  With a small vent in front and back while you walk that would make it much more effective at keeping you cool.

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep the "rain????" question is another questionable thing about the vents.

I don't think rain getting into the vents would be an issue as any water would just pass into the wheel well part just like if you go over a puddle, water is free to splash all around in there.  As long as it doesn't pass into the control board / battery side it's likely fine?  You could always try to seal things up DIY like @EUC GUY has done which allows you to pressure hose it down afterwards.

EDIT:  Oh, I just noticed from the video that the vents appear to be control board side vents?  :blink:  That's interesting.  I'll bet Marty's paycheque that the vents likely have a long upwards redirection so if water gets in, it isn't able to go upwards that easily?  Photos of the side covers would clear things up greatly.

EDIT2:  And oh ohhh that gratuitous booty shaking... some things you can't unSEE.  :shock2:  :barf:

1 hour ago, Adel said:

I believe the width includes the pads for both. However the Msuper v3 you can make it substantially thinner by removing the pads which most of us do. You can see the width from behind of the MSX I this video

I wasn't aware that most people remove the MSuper pads :huh:

I wouldn't be able to climb many hills if I removed the pads on mine.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wasn't aware that most people remove the MSuper pads :huh:

I wouldn't be able to climb many hills if I removed the pads on mine.

We just replace them with the much thinner foam protection pads and it works good. A lot of riders in out group do that including me.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't think rain getting into the vents would be an issue as any water would just pass into the wheel well part just like if you go over a puddle, water is free to splash all around in there.  As long as it doesn't pass into the control board / battery side it's likely fine?  You could always try to seal things up DIY like @EUC GUY has done which allows you to pressure hose it down afterwards.

EDIT:  Oh, I just noticed from the video that the vents appear to be control board side vents?  :blink:  That's interesting.  I'll bet Marty's paycheque that the vents likely have a long upwards redirection so if water gets in, it isn't able to go upwards that easily?  Photos of the side covers would clear things up greatly.

EDIT2:  And oh ohhh that gratuitous booty shaking... some things you can't unSEE.  :shock2:  :barf:

Got me laughing myself silly! :laughbounce2:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I have talked to Lukas and you are right. There's an opening at the top where the air gets in. See photos. Rain will just collect at the bottom 

Screenshot_20180514-215254.png

received_1975622292511799.png

8 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

I have talked to Lukas and you are right. There's an opening at the top where the air gets in. See photos. Rain will just collect at the bottom 

Screenshot_20180514-215254.png

received_1975622292511799.png

So basically a labyrinth trap where air are let in at the top. In many ways the same idea as used in GT16, but with a longer vertical distance to protect from splashes.

That's probably good enough unless you dump the wheel in water, or pressure hose it right into the vents.

59 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

:w00t2: BooYaa!!!   I'm always right...  except when I'm wrong.  You commoners should realize that by now.  :whistling:  Marty's paycheque is SAFE!  <High five, high five, high five, it's your birthday, it's your birthday!>

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Msuper V3 1900, photos from Lukas gotway (MSX)

Archived