Circuitmage

In the news...

Meanwhile in (not just) New Zealand...

Lime wheels locking up could mark the beginning of the end for e-scooters

"I was heading downhill, sailing over smooth white concrete at about 30kmh, when the front wheel locked up, sending me flying over the handle bars."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/110317293/lime-wheels-locking-up-could-mark-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-escooters 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Meanwhile in (not just) New Zealand...

Lime wheels locking up could mark the beginning of the end for e-scooters

"I was heading downhill, sailing over smooth white concrete at about 30kmh, when the front wheel locked up, sending me flying over the handle bars."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/110317293/lime-wheels-locking-up-could-mark-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-escooters 

From what I’ve read it was a firmware issue resulting from a recent update designed to prevent theft. Lime is a behemoth in the EScooter industry and have the funds to  easily squelch any negative publicity that would affect their long term business paradigm. 

• Like 2

Reading about and watching people on scooters reinforces my EUC decision. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

From what I’ve read it was a firmware issue resulting from a recent update designed to prevent theft. 

Goddamnit I was reading your post and of course it's a firmware issue. Electric scooters don't just stop like that unless someone told them to.

There's YouTube videos showing how easily controller boards can be replaced. I suspect theft is a huge problem with all the scooter companies. Maybe 1 out of 5?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, Rehab1 said:

From what I’ve read it was a firmware issue resulting from a recent update designed to prevent theft.

I hope Lime won't go into the airplane business

• Like 3

A couple of months ago, I was in Long Beach, CA. While waiting to cross the main drag (8 lanes including parking), a very big and VERY heavy young dude on a rental scooter shot past me crossing against the sign and then re-crossing again at full speed while randomly avoiding people and cars. Just as the crosswalk sign signalled for me to walk, he was passing me again and I realized that his rear tire was completely flat and he was riding on the rim. I said, "WHAT are you doing!!"

"F~@k it!!!", he yells, and disapears off into the distance.

Hilarious and sad...

• Like 1