Collapsible quotes?

This might help with the frequent quoting of huge posts and easier readability in those cases. Most modern forums seem to have the functionality, maybe Invision offers it too?

Here's an example. A bad one, as there's no big difference, but it shows the principle. Any huge quote with pictures and whatnot would be collapsed to the same, manageable size like this.

102271.png

Might be nice to have, if it's possible:efee47c9c8:

Invision doesn't have this natively but there is a plug in for that.
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8538-minimized-quote/

However, I find it risky to run third party plug-ins. Also when the invision software updates (and they do it frequently) it often breaks third party plug-ins. So for reliability and safety I prefer not to install this.

I find it easy just to highlight the portion of the sentence you wish to quote instead of the entire post, wait for the ‘quote’ sign to appear and then tap it. 

19 minutes ago, Keith said:

I use it all the time to keep threads readable - I wonder if @Marty Backe also doesn’t know of this functionality as he regularly quotes massive posts?

We all do this occasionally especially if the topic has completely derailed and we need to circle back to the original post. If there is an array of photos contained in the member’s post I just capture the most impactful one along with a sentence or two contained in the original. 

Is that a hint for me ;)

I've used quotes before but never for their collapsible nature. I try to gray out most of the non-relevant text that I'm responding to. I'll try the quotes more :D 

4 hours ago, Keith said:

I use it all the time to keep threads readable - I wonder if @Marty Backe also doesn’t know of this functionality as he regularly quotes massive posts?

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is that a hint for me ;)

Makes 2 of us , sometimes I’m too lazy to delete the rest of the quoted text as it takes too long especially on my phone , but now the the great advice from @Rehab1 above, this will be much easier.

if we are going to use the plugin, maybe we just post reminding everyone to only display the relevant part of the post?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Is that a hint for me ;)

Me DARE to drop hints about the great god of EUC’s - I’m not worthy! .......... but you do have some stonking great long quotes ?. @Rehab1 has a very good point though, once a thread has been derailed badly enough ( not, of course that I’m now hinting at @Hunka Hunka Burning Love! ) then quoting the whole, relevant post is probably the only way to get it back on track.

I cannot find it now but here was a long discussion at one point a year or so ago about preventing users quoting whole posts as it could make the thread very difficult to read. 

2 minutes ago, Keith said:

I cannot find it now but here was a long discussion at one point a year or so ago about preventing users quoting whole posts as it could make the thread very difficult to read. 

I remember that discussion.

36 minutes ago, Cloud said:

it takes too long

sometimes I’m too lazy

Makes 2 of us

The down side is that quotes don't appear in the order you wish so someone's quotes could be taken out of context.:P

Minus the fact that the feature might not be available, I see no argument against collapsible quotes (maybe for clarification, they're always collapsed if they're not short enough and you have to expand them if you want to see the entire thing).

Would also help people on mobile where marking text is a pain in the ***.

And people can simply quote posts without thinking much, as they know the forum will take care of everything else.

And all the manual options for formatting quotes aren't going anywhere.

:efee47c9c8:

Did I hear my username mentioned?  :w00t2:

I don't mind the huge post quoting as it doesn't happen too often except in Marty's case.   :whistling:  Some posts are worth quoting in their entirety like all of mine!  With the long quotes you can always tap the quote header bar to minimize/close them.   Meeps does have some good points though with his suggestions. 

It would be nice when clicking an unread posting link if the forum went to the post itself instead of page 1 all the time.  It was working for a bit there, but it reverted back again. 

Archived