Kingsong new app bugs

Pete Bucknell

3 hours ago, digitalkenny said:

Deleted the new kingsong app and installed the old version ( thanks!)  but when I run the app, it just stuck at "scanning" as if it can't detect my wheel, I tried combination of turning the wheel off and on , restart the app to no avail..btw how long do I have to ride before I can unlock the speed on my KingSong 14S?

Make sure the wheel is not connected to any other app or the scan won't find it. The scan only shows BLE devices that are ready to connect. Once a connection is established, they won't show up in the scan anymore until that connection is dropped. 

Also, if you are using an older Android you might have to set the permissions for the app to allow access to Location Service for bluetooth access. You might want to to double check that it has that permission granted.

There is no minimum distance requirement for the KS-14S before you can unlock the speed limit. You can "unlock" that any time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Juggler said:

I have never had so much hassle trying to get an app working in my life!!

I have spent several WEEKS trying to get the so called LATEST APP (whatever version  that is?) to work successfully.

After checking all my phones settings and allowing all permisions etc etc I finally got the app working and logged in using a Username and Password sent to my by Adrian from electricunicycles.eu.  I pressed connect and selected the KS-14D953 option, then I re unlocked the wheel again! I pressed the horn button which worked (yipeee). I moved the wheel to check the speed was showing on the screen, wow even that worked. Well I thought, that's finally sorted.  WRONG!!

I decided to play some music from my phone but nothing was heard from the wheel. So I went to bluetooth settings and found Kingsong music wasn't paired, Ahh that's why it won't work I thought. so paired it. Now my memmory is fading as there were so many things going wrong it's hard to list them. but not in any particular order:-

The app then decided to inform me that the version was V1.04 and the New firmware version was :V0.00  !!!!  I pressed the orange button with the up arrow and got the message "Latest version, no update"

At some point the speaker button on the app front page stopped working as a horn and reverted to a beep!

I was then informed by the app that in fact the firmware version required updating. Really? so back i went to the firmware page and accepted the offer to update. Then got a massage like unable to download.  Well i'm getting really pi****d off by now so uninstalled the app and now i'm havibng a double brandy to calm my nerves.

I have never shouted at an app before but this was a first for me.

Maybe I need to give it up and revert to my old Ninebot which worked fine with its app

Yeah, I feel ya. It's pretty amazing how they can build really nice wheels and put all these cool features in there but they can't seem to find a company that writes them an app that actually works. And that statement goes for all the wheel manufacturers - well, maybe not for 9bot as I haven't actually had one of theirs yet. Whence the motivation to spend that little free time I have outside of work to write some stuff that actually does what I need for riding my wheels. Otherwise I'd not put that time in, believe me. 

Whew.. finally got it to unlock, had to use my old Samsung old note II phone, at first bluetooth won't connect, so I tried the kingsong music, it connected right away then clicked scan again and it connected! 

Then watched youtube on how to unlock it and now it's unlocked! but can't try the new speed yet, with my luck after I bought this new wheel.. it's been raining all week?

I wonder if I can ride this wheel in the rain? Does anybody ever ride their euc in the rain while holding an umbrella??

2 hours ago, digitalkenny said:

Whew.. finally got it to unlock, had to use my old Samsung old note II phone, at first bluetooth won't connect, so I tried the kingsong music, it connected right away then clicked scan again and it connected! 

Then watched youtube on how to unlock it and now it's unlocked! but can't try the new speed yet, with my luck after I bought this new wheel.. it's been raining all week?

I wonder if I can ride this wheel in the rain? Does anybody ever ride their euc in the rain while holding an umbrella??

Glad you seem to have succeeded to unlock this fine wheel. If you ever do ride with an umbrella, please have someone take a video and post it to Youtube. I DO NOT want to miss this event!!

Seriously, I can't tell you about wheel function in rain. As you can see I live in Tucson and rain is so rare that kids should get an off-day at school when it happens. Then, when it rains, it's so much at once that water is running through the streets and you cannot see what you are riding on or if you are actually still on the road. This is certainly more water than the IP55 level the better wheels are built to. Never tried it therefore.

2 hours ago, digitalkenny said:

Google image search riding electric unicycle with umbrella turned up quite a few.  You probably have to ride slow enough that the wind doesn't destroy the umbrella.:laughbounce2:  Image result for riding electric unicycle with umbrella

Image result for riding electric unicycle with umbrella

New Kingsong-New iOS App Update released:

version 3.2

changelog:

Repair overseas countries can not register to log in, modify the password problem; logic optimization processing;

• 7 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Borg666 said:

The latest working Version of the new App for me was v1.46(Build 19), dated 30/12/2017. 

Find the download of Kingsong_Aligned_1.46(19)_kswheel.cn.apk here:

https://mega.nz/#!fHJ2wDga!yZihhZwKR2GbN3VoHzQg8nxc2f0-IHVcxExkknQ2hdk

HTH, Borg

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!

After a never-ending wait (ordered in early December), I finally received my 18XL yesterday! And surprise, surprise, the most recent build of the KS app, downloaded from their website, couldn't even find my wheel, so like many others, I was unable to unlock/use the wheel. :eff0541f4a:

I messed around with everything in the settings of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), from app permissions to location and Bluetooth LE, to no avail. I decided to try on my tablet and it crashed mid-installation; The tablet has become a very large paper holder, as it won't even switch on anymore (until I can be bothered to do a factory reset....sigh...).

I contacted my distributor, who didn't have much of a clue what to do and had no suggestions about where to find a single alternative (older) version of the app (which is pretty reprehensible in my book...as a business owner myself, I think one should know the products he sells, common problems, etc., and be able to offer solutions; we're talking about a €2K+ wheel here...). I eventually stumbled upon version 4 of the app, hosted on ewheels' site. I was able to install it, it found and connected to my wheel....but there's no "wheel unlock" option in that version...

It took me over an hour of thread-hopping until I stumbled upon @Borg666's post. And that version of the app did the trick! (A million thanks!) 

:cheers:

Geared up, put my jacket on (t'was dark and cold by then...) and went for a quick 8 km spin so I could unlock it above 20 km/h (MAN are KS's "decrease your speed" warnings loud! I knew about the aggressive tilt back, but it still caught me off guard...didn't expect it to be that harsh...that would be scary at 50 km/h...).

So, I got home, went to unlock the speed to 40 km/h and...start of ordeal no. 2. :eff0541f4a:

Registering with KS took about 5 attempts. The verification code would take forever to arrive, and by the time it did, it had (apparently) expired and was no longer valid...Then logging in became the next issue (login failed, can't connect to server etc.). Couple that with the fact the KS app disconnected from my wheel every thirty seconds and it became an extremely frustrating process, to say the least: close and reopen that app a half a dozen times 'til it FINALLY managed to connect to KS servers and let me log in, go to speed settings and...wheel disconnected.

It took me over an hour of trying over and over again until I was able to log in (was able to log in once every 10 tries) without the wheel disconnecting, accept the agreement and reach the unlock screen:

108ed6x.jpg

And when I did, neither of the two fields accepted any input (couldn't write in them, couldn't paste anything...). :eff0541f4a:  :furious::crying:

giphy.gif

Contacted my distributor again, with a detailed account of the issue, the fact the text fields accepted no input, etc. He said he'd contact his distributor and get back to me. Two hours later, he said he'd received an answer. He asked me if I'd registered with KS and logged in...

giphy.gif   giphy.gif

Decided to give it a break before I went full-on Jack Torrance...

After dinner, I decided to give it another shot. Uninstalled app version 1.46(19) and reinstalled KSv4 from eWheels. Tried to follow their unlocking guide, but there was no link. Found it in this forum thread, but it turned out to be a dead end. Tried the links in a few Youtube tutorials too, to no avail. I finally came across one (can't remember how, by this point I'd tried about a dozen different links) that was supposedly only for KS14 and KS16 at electricunicycles.eu.

2ciou8.jpg

Input the wheel's serial number as shown, generated a code, inserted both into the KS app and..."Failed". Kept looking for a solution and eventually wound up at eWheels' guide again, which specifically states:

Enter the serial number in the ISN field, two characters at a time followed by a colon ‘:’

Replaced the dashes with colons in the KS app, tried again and..."Failed". Was about to give up by this point, but decided to give it one last try before calling it a day (and risking permanent loss of sanity) :efee612b4b:   Went back to the code generator and input the serial number with colons instead of dashes, and the code it gave me was different. Used that code in the KS app and, (f-ing) FINALLY, "Success" !!!

A thus ended my struggle with the damn KS app, and began the tale of why I geared up at 3 in the morning to go for a much-needed, stress-relieving nocturnal ride... :ph34r::efee612b4b: 

Surprisingly enough, my night ride didn't end in disaster, 'cause by the time I hopped on the wheel, I was anything but cautious; didn't give myself the time to adapt to the change from my (30 lb, 16") V8 to my (55 lb, 18") 18XL, and just raced through my deserted streets of my hilly residential area at full speed with my rock n' roll playlist blasting out of the wheel's speakers, letting the adrenaline and euphoria wash over the previous 13 hours of frustration :eff01bbbfc:  

It was absolutely wonderful !!! (albeit incredibly stupid) :facepalm:

And as fate would have it, the first song to pop up (shuffle enabled) was John Fogerty's "Hot Rod Heart" . I know it was unwise to let the excitement of the moment override common sense, but seriously, after so many hours fighting with the KS app, it was hard not to let lyrics like "Ooh, let's go ridin', cruisin' down the open road", "Wheel's on fire and I'll tell you why, I got a hot rod heart" or "Put the pedal to the metal, if you want to ride, if you want to ride, let's go!" overpower my sense of caution. :roflmao:

Food for thought: Although one might be initially inclined to think that that kind of reckless riding is precisely why KS's approach to speed unlocking is actually a sensible one, I tend to disagree: if their (f-ing) app had worked the way it was supposed to and weren't so overwhelmingly buggy (I have several cheap Chinese wifi-controlled plugs at home with better apps than KS's), I would have been able to test-ride my new wheel 12h earlier and would have approached the it in a much more sensible, cautious, rational way. I guess safety measures are only useful when they're well implemented and not so exasperating that they drive users to insanity :efee612b4b:

As others have stated, I can understand and accept that low-cost Chinese products cut costs everywhere possible with half-assed apps and terribly translated user manuals...but for $2k+ EUCs, I really think they need to reevaluate their position and up their game in that regard. This kind of issues is completely unacceptable for such expensive products...

But anyway, in the end, all turned out well and I didn't become a crash or mortality statistic :efee612b4b:

Will create a new thread with my first impressions on the wheel. Hope this post is of use for anyone else who encounters similar issues (and I'll admit it, it also feels good to have gotten this off my chest. If I hadn't posted this here, my distributor probably would have gotten quite a mouthful....) :efee612b4b:

Wheel is fully charged, tire pressure has been checked, only have a few hours left 'til I'm off the hook...can''t wait to take the 18XL for a proper (and safer) spin!

Safe riding to all!

• 1 month later...

NOTICE:

If anyone's updated to the latest (blue) KS app, DON'T upgrade the firmware to 1.12. People who have done so via the newest KS iOS app are having issues...I don't know if the issue's exclusive to upgrades done via the iOS app, but not worth risking it, IMHO...

Archived