Rockwheel gt16 v3 1036wh

Delgado

Hello, I just received a gt16 from rockwheel store and the seller tells me that it is the v3 version. Does anyone know what improvement of v2? He tells me that it is a better column, but I do not know what he means by that. Thank youIMG_20180405_170458.thumb.jpg.782e45709ea42102806fc458f3a50e69.jpg

tire looks different (bigger?), maybe the solved the issue with stiffening the shell to not rub against the wheel? also, the red accents inside the vents and on the trolley handle are new.

Please let us know if you find out concretely what the improvement (s) are , besides the obvious accents and tire.

My understanding was that (should there be a GT16 V3), the major improvements were to be better waterproofing, and pedals (width/length).

"Better column" is probably referring to the pedal column, which has been a weak point.

Weak not as in "an accident waiting to happen", but rather for longevity, and for keeping the shell rigid. My guess would be that they've shortened the bottom part of the column a quarter inch or so, and made the top bridge more solid. That would give a bit more space around the tyre, and make the assembly and disassembly less prone to put micro-cracks in the bridge...

I'm not sure I dare to hope for more, but if they've gone all out, they may have made the bridge even more substantial to make the shell more rigid. I'm not holding my breath on that one though, because that would require a change in the shell mold, which is a rather expensive thing to do.

I do not think, the shell is the same and equally tight against the engine. And when you go with one leg, the wheel rubs against the top of the shell making noise, just like the previous version

7 minutes ago, Delgado said:

I do not think, the shell is the same and equally tight against the engine. And when you go with one leg, the wheel rubs against the top of the shell making noise, just like the previous version

Yes, it is the top part of the motor-cover that is too close to the shell, touching the side when you go with one leg. A column that would go a bit further up, say 2", would to a lot to take care of that problem...

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Or even a pedal support that went up and over to join to the other axle making a nice rigid structure?  :whistling:

Well..., that would be a very un-EUC-maker-rational design... God would cry, and we would have ourselves an apocalypse or something ;) 

On 4/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, Scatcat said:

Yes, it is the top part of the motor-cover that is too close to the shell, touching the side when you go with one leg. A column that would go a bit further up, say 2", would to a lot to take care of that problem...

To be more specific, at least in my wheel, it's the middle part of the battery compartment that rubs against the edge of the motor hub cover (so it's not the tire rubbing). I've also noticed it's noticeably less with the trolley handle installed and fully retracted. (I'm still planning to make a reinforcement inside the battery compartment whenever, if ever, I have a free weekend...)

9 hours ago, Tomek said:

To be more specific, at least in my wheel, it's the middle part of the battery compartment that rubs against the edge of the motor hub cover (so it's not the tire rubbing). I've also noticed it's noticeably less with the trolley handle installed and fully retracted. (I'm still planning to make a reinforcement inside the battery compartment whenever, if ever, I have a free weekend...)

Exactly so. The point where the hub cover converges towards the screws is indeed the "highest" point, and therefore the point which touches the shell.

This is one of those WTF-things about the shell-design, because a simple ridge inside the battery compartment would most probably have eliminated the problem.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, cbgti said:

And about the mudflap?

Is it touching the tire when it's fully out?

Not for me, but it did with my old shell. They seem to have made some minor modifications between V1 and V2, that alleviated that particular problem.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, cbgti said:

And about the mudflap?

Is it touching the tire when it's fully out?

on my V2, it only works at ca. 70% extension, beyond that it rubs badly. i guess it varies between wheels, there seems to be quite a big tolerance on parts and assembly accuracy

On 6/15/2018 at 9:28 PM, Tomek said:

on my V2, it only works at ca. 70% extension, beyond that it rubs badly. i guess it varies between wheels, there seems to be quite a big tolerance on parts and assembly accuracy

Yes, Rockwheel has a lot of work to do with QC. It seems they've become quite good with the electronics, but the rest is a bit hit and miss.

10 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Yes, Rockwheel has a lot of work to do with QC. It seems they've become quite good with the electronics, but the rest is a bit hit and miss.

I guess they just don't produce it at the big enough scale to do it right. They simply can't afford a mould revision when they figure out there are some serious design flaws. QC also has its price tag. 

That said, I must say that despite all those flaws I enjoy my GT16 so much for its compactness and agility that I don't feel the slightest need to upgrade to any of the hot new wheels atm (i.e. GW Tesla, MsuperX, InMotion v10, Ninebot Z10, KS18L)

19 hours ago, DarthPeter said:

Somebody got some experience with newest version of GT 16 V3 or maybe V4? I'm asking because I really like that wheel but I'm little scared of lack reliability and safety of this wheel ? 

The safety measures are nothing to sneeze at. Reliable 80% warning, and smooth tilt-back. To-247 MOS that can take more than the batteries dish out. Since V2, there have been no more inexplicable burnt boards.

So overall, I'd say that it is about as "safe" as a 16" EUC gets so far. As long as you don't plan to take a bath with it...

I know for a fact that I have now run about a 10 miles a day, five days a week with mine for a year. No real problems whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, DarthPeter said:

reliability and safety of this wheel ? 

Have had this wheel for about a year now. It has not failed me. It has enough Power & Speed(43km/h) to satisfy. Like member, Tomek. I don't need to upgrade. Yes. The new wheels have a newer design, slightly more torque, slightly faster(KS18L) And safer with more lights. But, to this day... This is the most compact, fastest, 16" wheel. Only missing a Center trolley handle. And safer lights for visibility in the day & night.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, PriestHood said:

Have had this wheel for about a year now. It has not failed me. It has enough Power & Speed(43km/h) to satisfy. Like member, Tomek. I don't need to upgrade. Yes. The new wheels have a newer design, slightly more torque, slightly faster(KS18L) And safer with more lights. But, to this day... This is the most compact, fastest, 16" wheel. Only missing a Center trolley handle. And safer lights for visibility in the day & night.

Sounds like a good reason to buy an 18L.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, DarthPeter said:

Well you mean this KS18L which locking up while trolleying  and 18L R.I.P. or My KS18L died today

… no thank you good sir.

Unlike some other manufacturers, Kingsong is actively acknowledging and looking into the issue, and hired a representative to update us on social networks. That is the second manufacturer with Inmotion to do that, and this is a good thing. There are 8 wheels affected worldwide right now, I doubt you will ever get statistics on rockwheel failures...

In addition, Kingsong is betting on local distributors, so these users will get support. Last but not least, no accident with users on the wheel. So no need to bash them.

Rockwheel GT16 is a solid wheel, but it may require a bit of DIY capabilities to fix some of the odds along the way. Maturity of the maker on international markets is close to zero compared to the big 4 (Gotway, Kingsong, Ninebot, Inmotion). Most distributors I talked to just gave up discussions with Rockwheel after looking to distribute GT16.

Archived