Dyno for EU testing

Joff

I am wondering if anyone has a device for measuring the actual power and torque output at the wheel. Seems like it would be an easier thing to make than an electric unicycle. 

14 hours ago, Joff said:

I am wondering if anyone has a device for measuring the actual power and torque output at the wheel. Seems like it would be an easier thing to make than an electric unicycle. 

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@EcoDrift has a dyno testing rig that they used to check out a few wheels.  Them Ruskies are always a few steps ahead of the game.  ;)

Also e-wheels.de ?once had?/has a dyno for testing.

@EcoDrift stated in the russian forum that new Kingsongs cannot be tested anymore on a dyno (unfortionately without explaining the reason) and something like new EUCs are strong enough so he won't make any further tests... ?

https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?msg=1224593

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2

Car dyno!  I was picturing something a lot smaller that  could be made economically for the more modest power of a EU. Like a wheel with a pulley that turns a modified alternator to provide an adjustable load. I was also surprised the dyno was only being used to test stock EUs. I  figured there must be people out there making modifications that want want to see measurable results. 

• 2 years later...

We might be able to beef up a little something like the dyno made here .. DIY Dyno 800-1500 watt motor .. they spent less than $400 in materials.

Or

for $3500 they make a go-kart scale sub 20hp dyno ... https://www.mittlerbros.com/Chassis-Dyno .. no EUC would need more than 20hp dyno.

or

does anybody live in an area with allot of go-kart racing / riding ??

find someone who already bought the go-kart dyno .. maybe just pay to do the test itself .. just like only pay to test on a car , don't have to build or buy the whole dyno.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to build EUC dyno myself - But I didnt have enough space in my flat to have it there all the time. It is still interesting project to do.
There are few thing to think about:

- Cost / final size of rig

- How to properly mount and secure EUC 

- Breaking / resistance capability. How to get properly variable load to simulate ride. 

- Where heat goes and how to measure calibrate it to get usable result

I think there are two cost effective options to explore:

- Using another HUB motor with VESC like break and measure data through VESC interface. I got Superflux for this purpose(It is wider than most EUC tyres). Laying unused since i don't ride OW much. 

- Using one or two truck Alternators - producing DC and Measure power out. 

If somebody want me to build him DYNO rig, for EUC I am up to task :D

Edited by daniel1234

• 2 weeks later...

Inmo disclosed some images of their production test dyno... but it seems to only make a constant drag, and doesn't stress the EUC very much.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:56 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Jack just got back from the Inmotion assembly facility today, with a bunch of pics/videos... 
- All V11Ys were dyno tested using a constant 30Nm of resistance

IMG_3252-600x1066.jpg   

IMG_3238-800x450.jpg