[Rainout Date] InMotion V10F NYC Demo Group Ride [SA 4.14 12PM]

houseofjob

**DUE TO RAIN, THE GROUP DEMO RIDE HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO SATURDAY THE 14TH, SAME MEET LOCATION.

InMotion V10F NYC Demo Group Ride

Saturday April 14th 12PM

meet @ Tavern on the Green / Central Park West

For anyone in the NYC area, please come & join us to demo the new InMotion V10F, sponsored by the good folks at InMotion US! Bring rider friends! 

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/518830188510627/

hOTFtPM.jpg

On impulse I bought bus tickets from DC to NYC and back to check out the V10F.  Should be arriving around 10am and I depart back for DC at 8pm.  I'll be bringing my ACM to explore Manhattan after the V10 demo.   I anticipate I'll be making a bunch of pit stops for food and rest and photo ops and perhaps recharge a bit.  At the same time I don't want to wear myself out trying to cram in too many activities in the limited timeframe.  Any suggestions as to how to make the most of my time without being too hectic?  Any places in general that won't accommodate me trolleying my wheel through their establishment?

@RichieV Nice and welcome! Hope the bus isn't too cumbersome there (dear Elon Musk, please build that DC-NYC Hyperloop ASAP)

We'll be having a group ride after everyone gets a good half loop around Central Park South with the test V10F unit.

It's up to the group consensus, but we were thinking of joining the eboard crew, who have a group ride set up for 2 hours later (if you've ever seen @Tishawn Fahie's vlog of them), to combine for one massive PEV ride! (they're meeting @ 2PM at the 34th St East Side Ferry).

Otherwise, if you break off on your own, NYC is pretty open game (see Google Maps in Bike Lane View), just note:

• Park rangers, and not NYPD, are the ones to watch out for, so if you're in park grounds, I'd err on the side of keeping it moving:
    • Central Park is a bit tamer, along with scenic Union Square and Washington Square Park, near NYU. 
    • The West Side Greenway & East Side Bike Path (bike path) tends to have the more rabid park rangers, around 14th street and below.
  • Despite the above note, definitely bomb down the West Side Greenway (bike path)! The weather will be super on Saturday, and this path connects all the way from Jersey across the George Washington Bridge, down the length of Manhattan, then you can connect to any of the 3 East side bridges (Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg) to connect to the extensive bike paths/roads in Brooklyn.
  • When crossing to Brooklyn, the regulars here tend to avoid the Brooklyn bridge, due to the teeming and massive amounts of tourists who regularly cross the pedestrian path into the designated bike lane for photo ops. But if you've never been across the Brooklyn Bridge, it's a big tourist staple FWIW.
  • Back to Manhattan, 2 of the biggest and main arteries to ride down are the Central Park loop (which we'll use part of for the demo) and all of Broadway, where you can bomb down all the way from Uptown, down to City Hall / Battery Park.

That's a rough overview. I'm sure some of the guys can offer you more tips on Saturday, see you then!

add: oh, you can also PM me with your FB ID, we'll be communicating via our group FB chat, so if you want, I can add you there.

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@RichieV Nice and welcome! Hope the bus isn't too cumbersome there (dear Elon Musk, please build that DC-NYC Hyperloop ASAP)

We'll be having a group ride after everyone gets a good half loop around Central Park South with the test V10F unit.

It's up to the group consensus, but we were thinking of joining the eboard crew, who have a group ride set up for 2 hours later (if you've ever seen @Tishawn Fahie's vlog of them), to combine for one massive PEV ride! (they're meeting @ 2PM at the 34th St East Side Ferry).

Otherwise, if you break off on your own, NYC is pretty open game (see Google Maps in Bike Lane View), just note:

• Park rangers, and not NYPD, are the ones to watch out for, so if you're in park grounds, I'd err on the side of keeping it moving:
    • Central Park is a bit tamer, along with scenic Union Square and Washington Square Park, near NYU. 
    • The West Side Greenway & East Side Bike Path (bike path) tends to have the more rabid park rangers, around 14th street and below.
  • Despite the above note, definitely bomb down the West Side Greenway (bike path)! The weather will be super on Saturday, and this path connects all the way from Jersey across the George Washington Bridge, down the length of Manhattan, then you can connect to any of the 3 East side bridges (Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg) to connect to the extensive bike paths/roads in Brooklyn.
  • When crossing to Brooklyn, the regulars here tend to avoid the Brooklyn bridge, due to the teeming and massive amounts of tourists who regularly cross the pedestrian path into the designated bike lane for photo ops. But if you've never been across the Brooklyn Bridge, it's a big tourist staple FWIW.
  • Back to Manhattan, 2 of the biggest and main arteries to ride down are the Central Park loop (which we'll use part of for the demo) and all of Broadway, where you can bomb down all the way from Uptown, down to City Hall / Battery Park.

That's a rough overview. I'm sure some of the guys can offer you more tips on Saturday, see you then!

Nice!  I'm down for a bit of group riding, though I tend to go at granny speeds when I'm unfamiliar with the routes and road conditions.  Though I've been to NYC numerous times, I've not seen it from the vantage point of an ewheel; there's something about the EUC that give you a more intimate look at a city as you ride through it.  I'm really looking forward to the trip!  Thank you for the suggestions!

37 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

You're always welcome JSW!

It will happen eventually. Riding through urban spaces is my #1 favorite thing to do on the wheel, and NYC simply must be experienced in that way. Last time I visited was long before the first Solowheel was even a glimmer.

57 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Well what’s the consensus on the v10F ? Yea, ney, were you guys impressed?

Minus maybe the weight (although it was always gonna be this heavy being 1kwh), the response was very positive. But you should really see for yourself! (check your DM)

I had a fun time on Saturday.  It was great meeting everybody and I loved partaking in the big group ride.  After Central Park I ended up going down the West Side Highway bike trail to Chinatown, ate way too much, then moseyed my way back up using the avenues to Times Square and spent the rest of my time around that area.

New York is a fantastic city for ewheeling, but holy cow is it a minefield of potholes and cyclists and cars and pedestrians and more potholes!  There's no mindless cruising at 20mph while looking for songs to play on your phone here!

As for the V10, I only got to hop on it for a few spins so I can't say too much, but here are my impressions and observations:

• solid feel; confidence-inspiring build quality
  • I wasn't used to the pedal height (coming from an ACM), but I feel I and most other experienced riders could adjust to them readily enough
  • smooth acceleration and deceleration
  • huuuuge, comfortable pedals which are held up by friction instead of magnets when folded up
  • feels like a bigger wheel than other 16 inchers
  • things I wish I had a chance to try out
    • light settings
    • speaker quality
    • high speed handling
    • off road handling

Overall I think it comes across as a high quality product which has that extra bit of polish that was present in the Ninebot One but lacking in the various Gotways and King Songs that I've tried.  The brief exposure to the V10 that I've had coupled with the positive early reviews makes me think this wheel is going to be a big hit.

Archived