Replacing a KS14S Control Board

Marty Backe

That shell and assembly looks like it is really well engineered.  I like how even the battery packs have special retaining straps to help prevent them from flying out during an accident (like the Ninebots/Gotways experience when they eject their packs).  You can just tell that they put more money into their shell designs for durability.  It's also interesting to note that we don't hear about KingSong connectors or wiring melting.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey Marty!

Fantastic video, as allways! And ...it was like i predicted, and you said it very nicely:

The build quality puts GW to shame, or? Why can GW not put up their game and produce such a quality inside (and outside) on their wheels? I would do nothing more than promote GW then ;-)

Ok, but all jokes and fun beside: Great video, will help a lot of people and also shows some nice „inside“ shots!

Happy to see you riding your 14s again!

Edit:

And fortunately the sparks where very small, or?

4 hours ago, US69 said:

The build quality puts GW to shame, or? Why can GW not put up their game and produce such a quality inside (and outside) on their wheels? 

Simple. Because kingsong Is a much faster changing brand than Gotway. I’ve seen kingsong grow from an almost mom and pop shop to a worldwide competitor is 3 years while gotway doesn’t bother to change their mindset, perhaps by virtue of inherently being a larger entity. They are still in the same place there were 3 years ago. Do they upgrade their wheels? Sure. But do they actually change ? Not really. KS has always solicited and tried to listen to feedback and incorporated a ton of improvements, completely rethought / overhauled the aesthetics, rose from “sloppy quality” to “almost all the way up there” kinda quality while gotway pretty much shunned the feedback and have been simply  reactive to the ever growing insatiable demand for more motor / battery power. I don’t actually dislike gotway, I like them and inherently  they are still ahead on several fronts, but if thy continue to upgrade their wheels in a one track mind fashion, and the only way they know how, it won’t be long until they are left far behind.

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Simple. Because kingsong Is a much faster changing brand than Gotway. I’ve seen kingsong grow from an almost mom and pop shop to a worldwide competitor is 3 years while gotway doesn’t bother to change their mindset, perhaps by virtue of inherently being a larger entity. They are still in the same place there were 3 years ago. Do they upgrade their wheels? Sure. But do they actually change ? Not really. KS has always solicited and tried to listen to feedback and incorporated a ton of improvements, completely rethought / overhauled the aesthetics, rose from “sloppy quality” to “almost all the way up there” kinda quality while gotway pretty much shunned the feedback and have been simply  reactive to the ever growing insatiable demand for more motor / battery power. I don’t actually dislike gotway, I like them and inherently  they are still ahead on several fronts, but if thy continue to upgrade their wheels in a one track mind fashion, and the only way they know how, it won’t be long until they are left far behind.

Exactly my words :-)

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That shell and assembly looks like it is really well engineered.  I like how even the battery packs have special retaining straps to help prevent them from flying out during an accident (like the Ninebots/Gotways experience when they eject their packs).  You can just tell that they put more money into their shell designs for durability.  It's also interesting to note that we don't hear about KingSong connectors or wiring melting.

I was very impressed with the insides of this wheel, although it's a pain in the butt to work on compared to many Gotway wheels.

BTW, those straps are not to prevent the ejection of the battery packs. I would say that's impossible on KingSong wheels because of the shell construction. They restrain the batteries from moving as the wheel is used. Gotway, like all of their choices, chose the cheap route and uses foam, compression, and double-sided tape to keep the batteries secure :(

9 hours ago, US69 said:

Hey Marty!

Fantastic video, as allways! And ...it was like i predicted, and you said it very nicely:

The build quality puts GW to shame, or? Why can GW not put up their game and produce such a quality inside (and outside) on their wheels? I would do nothing more than promote GW then ;-)

Ok, but all jokes and fun beside: Great video, will help a lot of people and also shows some nice „inside“ shots!

Happy to see you riding your 14s again!

Edit:

And fortunately the sparks where very small, or?

Thanks. I have a feeling Gotway will never change :crying:

There was a small spark when I connected the first battery.

Very happy to be riding the KS14S again :D

On 3.4.2018 at 9:38 AM, Marty Backe said:

was very impressed with the insides of this wheel, although it's a pain in the butt to work on compared to many Gotway wheels.

Thats called nicely and safe engineered, matching the amount of usage and shaking such a wheel gets.....and not just hold together by some screws in plastic! (sorry, i forgot...and a ton of silicon) :facepalm:

Just some more insights: The KS board is that big, so that it can fit the more massive (6) mosfets. Also the mosfets sit nearly in the middle of the heatsink, where they can effectively be cooled. The temperature sensor is sitting near the mosfets...not on the other side of the heatsink, where it reacts to late. The battery packs are secured of having different voltages by the board...they are not just „paralleled“ by Y-cable, which in worst case can lead to a fire. The used fan type „radial“ puts at least some real pressure on the board...not just a toy fan.

You can answer yourself to which other board/wheel i compared...

:whistling:

Archived