What's the value of an old V5F?

kjon12

I guy in Seattle has a Facebook Marketplace posting of an older V5F that has (predictable) battle scars. I need a starter wheel, and was thinking about offering him some $ for it, but I'm not really sure what would be a reasonable price. 

Thanks for your answers. The Glide 2 is $699 new, and the Glide 2 Lite is $399, a difference of $300. Do batteries really cost that much? The guy is asking $360 for his wheel. Maybe that's not a terrible price with the larger battery. I'm contacting him to find out if he bought it new...he said he's had it for about a year.

30 minutes ago, kjon12 said:

Thanks for your answers. The Glide 2 is $699 new, and the Glide 2 Lite is $399, a difference of $300. Do batteries really cost that much? The guy is asking $360 for his wheel. Maybe that's not a terrible price with the larger battery. I'm contacting him to find out if he bought it new...he said he's had it for about a year.

Yes ,batteries really cost that much.  They are a large part of the cost of a new wheel.  

You could offer a slightly lower price, say $300 and if you buy it you're lucky that the wheel is local so you can ask the seller to demonstrate it for you and show you how to set up the app.

14 hours ago, kjon12 said:

Depends very much on what your use profile will be. 

Are you planning on using the wheel for short rides or long rides?  Long rides demand large batteries.

Are you above average weight?  Go for a larger battery.

Do you want to go as fast as possible?  The larger battery V5F is faster than the V5.

The main risk with a used wheel IMHO is not really being able to verify the condition of the batteries and the the way they have been treated.  If the battery was maintained with care, not stored at full charge for months, etc. you are likely OK to buy used.  There is no way to know unless you ask and trust the answers.

18 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

The Glide 2 (V5f) has a battery capacity of 320wh, and the Glide 2 lite has 160wh

The V5f+ has 480wh

Good info.  As others said, the battery is a large part of the cost and of the performance capabilities as well.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I bought the thing last night. It's scratched up a lot, but that's OK because this is my first wheel and I won't care about getting it dinged up. I can crash it, pick it up, and try again. It has a new control board, as the old one got water damage. Jason at eWheels sent out a replacement. So now the fun begins!

Trying to! It never fails here in the Pacific Northwest. You get a new toy that requires decent outdoor weather, and it rains. So I've now dented the inside of my garage door and am working on a nice bruise on the inside of my right shin. Oh well, such is the price of progress! We have a public tennis court up the street that is fully enclosed with chain link fencing. I imagine I will be able to cruise around the perimeter of the fence while learning, should the rain let up.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2018 at 5:30 AM, kjon12 said:

It's scratched up a lot, but that's OK because this is my first wheel and I won't care about getting it dinged up. 

send pictures when you get the scratches level of my v5f ;)

It's a unbelievably resistant machine. At least under my lightweight feets

IMG_20180421_193113445~2.jpg

Archived