Gotway acm 1300wh

Ipsiain

So I have just recieved my new wheel, sadly my first impressions are quite discouraging. Im having great difficulty mounting and dismounting. Its like im having to re-learn the basics from scratch. I can only compare this wheel to my other wheel, the ips 260t . The pedals seem much higher and the angle of them are more exaggerated than I am used to. On the flat smooth surfaced pavement it glides beautifully as if riding a cusion of air, but any sign of an incline I lose all confidence, i feel the pedals tilt forward and slow down as if it is underpowered and about to cut out. There is an inner conflict inside me, do i have faith and just lean into it and hope it takes me up the incline safely or is it going to cut out and am i going to put the first scratches into the casing...

0D408CE3-AD16-4A70-90FF-CE46E7CBEB34.jpeg

Beautiful colour and design. Have you tried adjusting the ride/ pedal settings using the Gotway App to hard? 

• ACM (ACM16) or ACM2? I believe the ACM2 has a harder "hardest" ride mode.
    But the default medium (of my ACM) actually works great. What ride mode are you in?
  • Recalibrate! This can fix potential pedal dipping in curves, but who knows, maybe your pedals aren't horizontal already or something else is badly calibrated. Try it, it can't hurt.
  • The pedals definitely shouldn't tilt (permanently) on inclines (Do they really, or is it just a very soft ride mode and they take some time to get back to horizontal? Up inclines or down? Both? But they should absolutely not behave differently on inclines vs on flat ground.). Low battery? What's your weight and how steep is the incline? (Picture?)
    Otherwise it might be a hardware defect (not to scare you, but possible, don't let this slide). If recalibration doesn't help, open the board (right) side panel and have a look. Possibly, a capacitor might be blown, they're the fat brown cylinders and their wires connecting them to the board (not sure how such a damage would show exactly, but you can look). That would indeed make the wheel softer and is dangerous (reduced max power, and only one capacitor left). Post some photos if you like.
  • Where did you buy from? Speedyfeet?

Maybe return it and got with a KS16S?  The extrawide ACM and Msupers are poorly design in my opinion.  If they were designed correctly there shouldn't be any adjustment period.  I had the same feeling when I bought my Msuper.  It is collecting dust because I hate the the riding dynamics.  But as Marty would point out it is just one opinion.  If you get a King Song, you will go ahhh!, this is what a wheel should be.  

I did get a chance to try the Tesla and it seems to not have the design issues or bad riding dynamics that I hate in the Msuper.  But the shell is poorly made and will break if you drop a couple of times.  KS shells on the other hand are made like a tank.

The riding issue you have seem to be just a setting of the peddle hardness.  Set it to harddess setting and try again.

Im not 100% sure of the model varient. Acm 16mosfet 84 volts, big pedals. I got it from yorkshire air wheels. Ride setting Is on ‘ strong ‘ i think im just being a big baby. I just went out on a blast and it behaved much better and gave me a bit more confidence. Im still nervous about starting and stopping. 

Im 6”3 and pushing close to 18 stones (110 - 115 kg) 

I don’t think there is any malfunction or defect just more a case of getting used to the handling characteristics. But i still feel that the pedals dip forward a little when going into an incline but if i lean bake a bit to brake to lift the front up and then lean forward again it seems more level. I will try and recallibrate it. ( overall I am happy, just lacking the confidence i had on my other wheel )

I originally had my eye on the kingsong 16s. But being a heavier guy the extra volts and battery reserve of the acm seemed to be the smarter choice. I paid £1100 for the acm, where as im sure the best price i saw for the kingsong was around the £1300 mark. Ive owened cars that cost less!! 

Hard to say.

What alarmed me, the wheel should not behave differently on inclines vs. on flat terrain. In fact, it cannot tell the difference. If you were close to overpowering it on inclines, there should be warning beeps. As these weren't there...

This makes no sense for a self-balancing device, where the pedal tilt controls the wheel after all. Anything deviating from this is generally a cause for alarm.

-

But not to scare you, might likely just be just a calibration issue. The pedal behavior you describe is how the stupid pedal dipping in curves works - once you brake-level it, it's gone. Tell us how the calibration worked for you. (It's a bit confusing, there's a Speedyfeet Youtube video and I believe Marty [electricunicycles on Youtube] did one too. I always recommend a really badly tilted calibration to confirm what you do is correct, then you can repeat it with level pedals. Make sure the wheel isn't tilted or moved sideways while calibrating, that's what usually ruins the calibratrion in the first place.)

Take a close up picture of the headlamp and I can tell you if you have an ACM2.

Change the ride mode to the hardest setting. The Gotway app does not report the actual setting. So if you just connected to the wheel and the mode setting indicates Hard, that means nothing. Switch it to soft and than hard and you should notice a big difference

The wheel ships in the soft setting which has a lot of peddle dip.

All wheels require an adjustment period. Please be patient :D

Marty! You are a bit of a legend within the electric unicycle community, i’ve seen a lot of your videos on YouTube, if it were not for people like you I would still be living in the dark ages walking everywhere! Thanks a lot for sharing all your videos and experiences! 

Im finding the gotway app a bit frustrating, under settings the three options are soft medium and strong. When i click on strong i’ll hear two beeps from the acm and the word soft is now replaced by strong in red letters above the speedometer.However If i shut down the app and turn off the acm. When i turn it back on it says soft. ( which backs up what you said about the app not reporting the setting?)  What is the correct procedure for changing the settings, does the unicycle have to be completely stopped and dismounted when you change it or is it ok to change while riding it? Also is it a once and done thing, or do you need to change the setting everytime you turn it on? 

Im using keybye gotway app on my iphone

also it might be worth mentioning the battery was at 100% when i took it out the sealed box which confused me.

3689B2B0-15FF-4697-95DA-81398A06C182.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

medium and strong. When i click on strong i’ll hear two beeps from the acm and the word soft is now replaced by strong in red letters above the speedometer.However If i shut down the app and turn off the acm. When i turn it back on it says soft. ( which backs up what you said about the app not reporting the setting?)  What is the correct procedure for

Thats a known fault of the app!

Each time you reconnect it, it sets back the wheel to soft! So the advise would be to set the ride mode ONCE and then use a 3rd party app for speed etx...

1 hour ago, Ipsiain said:

Marty! You are a bit of a legend within the electric unicycle community, i’ve seen a lot of your videos on YouTube, if it were not for people like you I would still be living in the dark ages walking everywhere! Thanks a lot for sharing all your videos and experiences! 

Im finding the gotway app a bit frustrating, under settings the three options are soft medium and strong. When i click on strong i’ll hear two beeps from the acm and the word soft is now replaced by strong in red letters above the speedometer.However If i shut down the app and turn off the acm. When i turn it back on it says soft. ( which backs up what you said about the app not reporting the setting?)  What is the correct procedure for changing the settings, does the unicycle have to be completely stopped and dismounted when you change it or is it ok to change while riding it? Also is it a once and done thing, or do you need to change the setting everytime you turn it on? 

Im using keybye gotway app on my iphone

also it might be worth mentioning the battery was at 100% when i took it out the sealed box which confused me.

3689B2B0-15FF-4697-95DA-81398A06C182.jpeg

Thanks for your nice comments :)

Based on the LED, you do not have the ACM2. It's still an awesome wheel of course:thumbup:

iPhone users have it the worse because of the horrible Gotway app. Every time you reconnect the app to the wheel the app resets the settings :furious:

I would connect to the wheel, configure the wheel, and then don't use the app again until you need to make changes. I believe the recommended iPhone app is Darknessbot.

A recommendation that I often make is for iPhone users to buy a super-cheap (~$30) disposable Android phone (LG models seem to work fine from what I've read), install the WheelLog app, and use that for controlling and monitoring your wheel. Don't use any of the social versions of the apps and you won't need an Internet connection.

For Gotway, the wheel needs to be standing still before making any configuration changes.

57 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats a known fault of the app!

Each time you reconnect it, it sets back the wheel to soft! So the advise would be to set the ride mode ONCE and then use a 3rd party app for speed etx...

Yea, iPhone app: use to configure once, then forget that POS even exists and use Darknessbot or Gyrometrics (I believe Darknessbot is the state of the art).

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated! got the DarknessBot app, tried and tested, all is good. I’ll look out my old HTC phone and check those other apps out too. I changed my shoes and went for a spin in the dark to test the light. The wheel behaved a lot better, no dipping of the pedals. My only grievance now is the angle of the pedals, they kind of force my ankles in towards the body of the unicycle, I wonder has anyone else experienced this and what they modified to combat it? ( i might be tempted to get my dremmel out and grind the pedals back where they touch the frame ) My thoughts are that if the outer edges of the pedals were a bit closer to the ground it might be easier to mount and dismount but still high enough to avoid scraping on tight turns. Does the angle of my peddals look normal to you? Am i just being too critical?  Does it bother other people? Whats the purpose behind the steep angle?  

0A3591DC-B3C1-4FB2-AF8C-EE6EFB094F0F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated! got the DarknessBot app, tried and tested, all is good. I’ll look out my old HTC phone and check those other apps out too. I changed my shoes and went for a spin in the dark to test the light. The wheel behaved a lot better, no dipping of the pedals. My only grievance now is the angle of the pedals, they kind of force my ankles in towards the body of the unicycle, I wonder has anyone else experienced this and what they modified to combat it? ( i might be tempted to get my dremmel out and grind the pedals back where they touch the frame ) My thoughts are that if the outer edges of the pedals were a bit closer to the ground it might be easier to mount and dismount but still high enough to avoid scraping on tight turns. Does the angle of my peddals look normal to you? Am i just being too critical?  Does it bother other people? Whats the purpose behind the steep angle?  

Be very careful if you go down the path of modifying your pedals. If you screw up (take too much metal away), it'll be a major rebuild to fix.

Believe it or not, these pedals are not angled that much. The ACM has a pedal angle of 6-degrees. The Tesla has a angle of 8-degrees. Some KingSong wheels also have steep pedal angles. I believe it's all about helping to keep your feet from sliding off.

I would give yourself a few hours of riding before trying to 'fix' it. Usually your body adapts and it becomes a non-issue.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Take a close up picture of the headlamp and I can tell you if you have an ACM2.

Change the ride mode to the hardest setting. The Gotway app does not report the actual setting. So if you just connected to the wheel and the mode setting indicates Hard, that means nothing. Switch it to soft and than hard and you should notice a big difference

The wheel ships in the soft setting which has a lot of peddle dip.

All wheels require an adjustment period. Please be patient :D

Hi Marty, is my ACM2 had the new headlamp ?

mmexport1522636072035.jpg

3 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

Hi Marty, is my ACM2 had the new headlamp ?

mmexport1522636072035.jpg

Yes, that's the new LED that comes with the Mten3, Tesla, and all the Teslerized wheels (ACM & MSuper).

Marty, could you please clarify the difference between the v1 and v2 headlight? To the untrained eye, its difficult to spot the difference. ( When enquiring to the seller about my wheel before purchase he told me it was the “latest model” ) 

19 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

Marty, could you please clarify the difference between the v1 and v2 headlight? To the untrained eye, its difficult to spot the difference. ( When enquiring to the seller about my wheel before purchase he told me it was the “latest model” ) 

Where did ypu buy it and under what name?

It is hard to get a real New ACM2 with Tesla motor as it is brandnew

And the thing is the version before was sold as ACMv2, which stands for 12 Mosfets version.

So there are three versions:

acmv1 with 6 mosfets, and only max 820wh

acmV2 with 12 mosfets, 1300/1600wh ...1500W Motor  and not so bright headlight.

acm2 with 12 mosfets, 1300/1600wh, with 2000W Tesla motor, fan on the board, brighter headlight.

To be hundertpercent clear i guess you have to open it and look for a fan.

But Marty allready said that your headlight is not the new ACM2...so you seamed to have a ACMv2, which is 1500W motor...

It was fromyorkshire airwheels listed as

“ gotway acm 16” 1300wh “ 

I’ll take martys word as gospel, i just can’t see the difference in the headlights for myself, that’s all. I’m ok with having the older version, it’s still a huge upgrade from my other wheel! 

6 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

Below are the two LEDs. Notice on yours, the outer edge of the bezel has a wide flat area compared to the ACM2 which comes to a 'sharp' edge?

mmexport1522636072035.thumb.jpg.cd5f1ff1

3689B2B0-15FF-4697-95DA-81398A06C182.thu

6 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

It was fromyorkshire airwheels listed as

“ gotway acm 16” 1300wh “ 

I’ll take martys word as gospel, i just can’t see the difference in the headlights for myself, that’s all. I’m ok with having the older version, it’s still a huge upgrade from my other wheel! 

as i have heard yorkshire wheels are unfortunately getting out of buisness, yip, they sure didnt order anything new.

Yip, even the 1500W 84Volt is a totally powerhorse! 

On 4/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, Ipsiain said:

Looks like the same angle as the Tesla pedals. I went through exactly what you're going through. I didn't like how it was forcing my  ankles in towards the body of the unicycle but trust me its just a matter of time before you get used to it..  might not be as comfortable for slow cruising but it gives you more stability and agility. 

7 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Looks like the same angle as the Tesla pedals. I went through exactly what you're going through. I didn't like how it was forcing my  ankles in towards the body of the unicycle but trust me its just a matter of time before you get used to it..  might not be as comfortable for slow cruising but it gives you more stability and agility. 

I measured them. No, the ACM and ACM2 have the same 6-degree angle. The Tesla has a 8-degree tilt to the pedals.

Ive noticed my pedals seem a bit stiffer than in other peoples videos, if i pull them from the magnets they will only drop a certain amount and i’ll need to push them down with my hands the rest of the way. Also when returning the pedals to closed position after riding i need to palm the buttom of them with a fair amount of force to unstick them. Regarding comfort, id say i’m slowly getting used to it. As for slow speed riding, I don’t have an issue at all. I can cruise at a very slow walking speed quite comfortably. Marty, is it possible that they have not been created equally, perhaps some assemblers rushing, over tightning/undertightning the pedals creating difficulties for some riders? 

1 hour ago, Ipsiain said:

Ive noticed my pedals seem a bit stiffer than in other peoples videos, if i pull them from the magnets they will only drop a certain amount and i’ll need to push them down with my hands the rest of the way. Also when returning the pedals to closed position after riding i need to palm the buttom of them with a fair amount of force to unstick them. Regarding comfort, id say i’m slowly getting used to it. As for slow speed riding, I don’t have an issue at all. I can cruise at a very slow walking speed quite comfortably. Marty, is it possible that they have not been created equally, perhaps some assemblers rushing, over tightning/undertightning the pedals creating difficulties for some riders? 

Yes. On My MSuper V3s+, one of my pedals is stiff and doesn't go all the way down until I put all of my weight on it. And I also have to unstick it when folding the pedal up. I haven't bothered to see exactly why it isn't fitting perfectly because the stiff pedal doesn't affect my ride. The pedals are perfect on every other Gotway wheel that I own or have owned.

I think this is on par for Gotway quality control :unsure:

Archived