Kingsong 14D CUT-OUT !!!!

Scott Henley

On 31/03/2018 at 4:46 PM, Scott Henley said:

Though I am a bit hesitant to say it’s entirely the fault of my riding style . I’m not nor do I plan to ask for a free wheel or any such nonsense .

Of the 200x 14Ds that we've sold, there have been only two incidents of psycho Wheels :w00t2:, both of whom are represented on this thread.

When Scott first reported the incident, he said he didn't want to post on the forum, not wanting to draw any bad publicity to the model, but I encourage to put it up here, honesty that faults be discussed in the open.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2018 at 7:46 PM, Scott Henley said:

Just to be clear , I know I ride my wheel harder than most . But at the same time I also make sure to take great care of it . Before this incident there wasn’t a single blemish on the wheel . And even after this accident it still looks almost new . In no way am I blaming Kingsong , Ewheels or the wheel itself . Though I am a bit hesitant to say it’s entirely the fault of my riding style . I’m not nor do I plan to ask for a free wheel or any such nonsense . Cause of failure is still a mystery though. And yes , Jason is a great guy who always goes above and beyond the call of duty. I’d never dream of trying to take advantage of that kindness. 

Try not to ride your replacement wheel like this :innocent1:

general-lee-jump-dukes-of-hazzard.jpg?t=

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Of the 200x 14Ds that we've sold, there have been only two incidents of psycho Wheels :w00t2:, both of whom are represented on this thread.

When Scott first reported the incident, he said he didn't want to post on the forum, not wanting to draw any bad publicity to the model, but I encourage to put it up here, honesty that faults be discussed in the open.

Ah Ha! That explains the disparity between Gotway and KingSong. All the KingSong owners are holding back from telling us of their failures :laughbounce2:

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Ah Ha! That explains the disparity between Gotway and KingSong. All the KingSong owners are holding back from telling us of their failures :laughbounce2:

:facepalm:

Yip, „all the“ One people out of two or three out of 200! doesnt want to tell of their failures ....

Perhaps we should ask Jason how much of 200GW wheels have had failures? 

:whistling:

8 hours ago, US69 said:

:facepalm:

Yip, „all the“ One people out of two or three out of 200! doesnt want to tell of their failures ....

Perhaps we should ask Jason how much of 200GW wheels have had failures? 

:whistling:

R.I.P. @KingSong69   ;)

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

In hindsight I suppose this wasn’t the smartest idea . And it’s not that I didn’t want to share , I did. But out of respect for Jason , I figured I’d hold back until I spoke with him first . Now , onto some really interesting personal stats . I’ve owned 3 wheels thus far . 1KS and 2 GW . Ks dropped me twice , while both GW wheels always safely delivered me to my destinations . ?

23 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

In hindsight I suppose this wasn’t the smartest idea . And it’s not that I didn’t want to share , I did. But out of respect for Jason , I figured I’d hold back until I spoke with him first . Now , onto some really interesting personal stats . I’ve owned 3 wheels thus far . 1KS and 2 GW . Ks dropped me twice , while both GW wheels always safely delivered me to my destinations . ?

14 inch entry level wheel:

'I thought it was a tank, so I rode it like a dirt bike'

'Not a scratch on it, so 4 foot jumps and landing on the wheel certainly didn't do any internal damage! Otherwise there would be surface scratches on the SIDES, right?'

10 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

14 inch entry level wheel:

'I thought it was a tank, so I rode it like a dirt bike'

'Not a scratch on it, so 4 foot jumps and landing on the wheel certainly didn't do any internal damage! Otherwise there would be surface scratches on the SIDES, right?'

4ft jumps? Hmm . I mean thanks for the flattery . But no . 12” tops .  But thanks for the laugh . Entry level wheel you say ? Okay , I’ll bite . Yes it’s entry level in the fact that it has a small battery pack . But it’s built to the same spec as the 14s , 16s and 18L. Same design, same shape . Same stellar quality . As I’ve already said , sure it could be my fault . Maybe the fact that I ride it hard played a factor . Not saying I don’t ride it hard . Not asking for a hand out . Not blaming the wheel at all . For whatever reason , it dropped me twice and I no longer feel safe riding it .

So now , try this on for size: when learning to ride  wheel . Do people not fall ? Even after the initial learning ...is it not possible to have an accident that leads to your wheel bouncing end over end off into the bushes or down the street ? What’s that ??? Yes ? Hmm . Yeah I thought so too. I’ve seen many videos showing just that . Now , what do people usually do when a king song wheel goes bouncing down the road ? They pick it up dust it off and continue to ride . Would it not be Feasible to say such an accident would cause just as much if not more trauma to the inner workings of the wheel ? Yet no one has ever before complained of a KS cut out . 

I'm starting to regret mentioning that jump over the small ramp with this thread. :whistling:  It sounds like Scott is taking full responsibility for his riding style and understands that stresses to the wheel may possibly contribute to its failure over time.  I think falls to the side likely don't stress the electronics as much as landing with a sharp force on the tire since the control board needs to balance a sudden load very quickly. 

I'd compare it to carrying someone while walking forwards then going up a ramp and landing while continuing to move forwards.  If done smoothly it might not be so jarring, but a drop followed by a need for quick forward motion  from a stop might be more traumatic.  I would recommend recording your rides with Gyrometrics or Wheellog to see for yourself how the current spikes are like.  If anything it might help gain some insight like a blackbox as to what could be causing problems if they occur again in the future.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm starting to regret mentioning that jump over the small ramp with this thread. :whistling:  It sounds like Scott is taking full responsibility for his riding style and understands that stresses to the wheel may possibly contribute to its failure over time.  I think falls to the side likely don't stress the electronics as much as landing with a sharp force on the tire since the control board needs to balance a sudden load very quickly. 

I'd compare it to carrying someone while walking forwards then going up a ramp and landing while continuing to move forwards.  If done smoothly it might not be so jarring, but a drop followed by a need for quick forward motion  from a stop might be more traumatic.  I would recommend recording your rides with Gyrometrics or Wheellog to see for yourself how the current spikes are like.  If anything it might help gain some insight like a blackbox as to what could be causing problems if they occur again in the future.

No it’s fine . I’m not trying to hide that fact. And when Jason receives the wheel back opens it up and discovers that I “broke “ something inside of it ...I’ll ceryainly let you guys know . 

I really need to buy a cheap android phone to use while riding . The iPhone apps are just so underwhelming. Wheellog looks good . I’ll have to give that a try.

Sorry to give you a hard time Scott. I'm not a King Song fanboy, I just get the feeling there's a 99% chance that this 99% reliable wheel wasn't that rare 1% dud wheel, given your riding style and hard landings. 175-200 lbs dropping from 12" creates like 350-500 lbs of force on the wheel, a wheel meant to carry a max weight of  200 lbs.

I believe Marty Backe doesn't even drop down curbs to preserve his wheels, and that good advice probably applies double or triple for smaller wheels.

27 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

really need to buy a cheap android phone to use while riding . The iPhone apps are just so underwhelming. Wheellog looks good . I’ll have to give that a try.

Have you tried Darkness Bot on IOS? the both developers even worked together, so beside the user interface, they are nearly the same.

Darkness is THE app to go on IOS, my 2 cents....

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Sorry to give you a hard time Scott. I'm not a King Song fanboy, I just get the feeling there's a 99% chance that this 99% reliable wheel wasn't that rare 1% dud wheel, given your riding style and hard landings. 175-200 lbs dropping from 12" creates like 350-500 lbs of force on the wheel, a wheel meant to carry a max weight of  200 lbs.

I believe Marty Backe doesn't even drop down curbs to preserve his wheels, and that good advice probably applies double or triple for smaller wheels.

You’re good @Scouts Honor. This is another reason I initially told Jason I wasn’t going to post this cut out on here . The possibility that it’s my fault is certainly there ! I have seen this exact wheel endure much more abuse at the hands of other people and their wheels still function normally . In the end , my fault or not . The wheel has an issue . It’s going back and I’m paying for (not being given ) a new wheel. I’m well aware of the limitations of these wheels . But riding around at 15mph avoiding bumps and curbs just isn’t my cup of tea . I fully understand that the way I ride may ultimately lead to the wheel not lasting as long as it could . The 14D and S are relatively inexpensive considering the cost of others . So while I probably won’t ride my msuper or z10 this hard ...the 14s will continue to be my go to “trick “ wheel .?

By the way...why did you change your name @US69?

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Have you tried Darkness Bot on IOS? the both developers even worked together, so beside the user interface, they are nearly the same.

Darkness is THE app to go on IOS, my 2 cents....

I tried DarknessBot a few times . Yes . I had an issue with using it while riding my ACM . No matter what I did the wheel would tilt back at like 10km/h. I’d have to close out the app. Open the GW app turn off tilt and then ride . So after all that I quit using DarknessBot. I guess I’ll give it a try agin .

15 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I tried DarknessBot a few times . Yes . I had an issue with using it while riding my ACM . No matter what I did the wheel would tilt back at like 10km/h. I’d have to close out the app. Open the GW app turn off tilt and then ride . So after all that I quit using DarknessBot. I guess I’ll give it a try agin .

I had the same problem with it trying to set the tilt back speed on my msuper v3s+ , but recently learned the app wasn’t tested for this model. I love the app otherwise and it seems to work fine. As long as I don’t touch the speed settings It seems to be a very nice / user friendly app

33 minutes ago, US69 said:

@Scott Henley 

Thats was in my mind since i am moderator....

Its just better not to have a company name in the nickname because with it all opinions might sound biased.

Also US the initials of my real name...

Okay, yeah . That makes since . Don’t want anyone thinking you are endorsing one brand over the other . And I should have realized those were your initials. ?

4 hours ago, US69 said:

@Scott Henley 

Its just better not to have a company name in the nickname because with it all opinions might sound biased.

So the US part makes sense, but what about the "69" bit?   ;)

Or should we all just nod slowly (while we think about another topic to discuss) and leave it at that?

3 hours ago, US69 said:

@Scott Henley 

You can't fool us by changing your name and putting a Gotway wheel as your profile picture. We all know that you're a KingSong fanboy :laughbounce2:

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You can't fool us by changing your name and putting a Gotway wheel as your profile picture. We all know that you're a KingSong fanboy :laughbounce2:

Really?

I have or have had the same amount of GW wheels as KS wheels...from both 4...

Whats up to you? 8 GW...2 KS? Who is eventually more biased, still telling us GW is doing a „great job“???

And btw. that name change is mot for the guys who are 24/7 here, and know me ....more for some newbies not to be misdirected by the name....

14 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So the US part makes sense, but what about the "69" bit?   ;)

Or should we all just nod slowly (while we think about another topic to discuss) and leave it at that?

Tja...the 69 is just showing my methusalem age...ok its not my age, but my birthyear.....bad enough :-(

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I thought it was his favorite highway in the US.  :smartass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_69

:ph34r:  Juuust need a couple more pieces of information before I can complete my identity theft project and get me a free wheel... mwahahahaha  :whistling:

He wants to ride a King Song from one end to the other

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I thought it was his favorite highway in the US.  :smartass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_69

:ph34r:  Juuust need a couple more pieces of information before I can complete my identity theft project and get me a free wheel... mwahahahaha  :whistling:

You’ve changed you avatar a few times but the l..o..n..g..e..s..t name on forum remains. :sleep1:

9 hours ago, US69 said:

Really?

I have or have had the same amount of GW wheels as KS wheels...from both 4...

Whats up to you? 8 GW...2 KS? Who is eventually more biased, still telling us GW is doing a „great job“???

And btw. that name change is mot for the guys who are 24/7 here, and know me ....more for some newbies not to be misdirected by the name....

Tja...the 69 is just showing my methusalem age...ok its not my age, but my birthyear.....bad enough :-(

I was joking - didn't you see my smiley face? :D

Archived